PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Singlehanded TransPac New RC Sez:

robtryon
10-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Hello all potential racers! I'm your new Race Chair and I'm happy to announce that the Notice of Race for the 2012 Singlehanded TransPac is complete. It should be posted to the SSS's site soon. The short version for those who can't wait is that the race starts on June 30, 2012 and ends 2,120 miles later in Hanalei.

I'm working on the RRCs and hope to have those finished by this time next week.

The seminar schedule is also complete and can be found below.

All seminars will be presented at Oakland YC, 7 p.m. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Beverages will be available.

October 27, 2011 – Getting Started / RRCs / Racers’ Experiences – What you need to know to start getting ready for the race. Race vets will talk about their experiences after a reading of the rules.

November 16, 2011 – Power Management & Generation – Everything you need to know to keep your batteries charged. Discussion on electrical budgets and solar, wind, engine-driven & other charging systems.

December 14, 2011 – Rigging – West Marine Rigging will host an interactive talk about preparing and maintaining your rig.

January 18, 2012 – Sail Selection & Repair – Kame Richards/Pineapple Sails - How to choose which sails to bring and how to repair them at sea.

February, 2012 (exact date TBD) – Cruise-in at Encinal YC – Tour race vets’ boats to see how they prepared, and bring your boat for show & tell. This is a great opportunity to get to know each other in a relaxed environment.

March 14, 2012 – Communications – In-depth discussion on the two methods to communicate with each other and race committee: SSB & sat phone.

April 18, 2012 – Provisioning / Medical – Learn about the nutritional needs of long-distance racers to decide how to provision. Then learn about how to stock your medical kit and handle onboard medical emergencies.

May 24, 2012 – Return Trip / Shipping Options – Find out what’s involved in sailing your boat home, compared to shipping it back.

June 14, 2012 – Weather / Strategy – Final, pre-race weather & strategy discussion.

If anyone has any questions or wants to contact me privately, the RC email is shtranspac@yahoo.com, and my phone is 503-490-3305.

Rob Tryon