PDA

View Full Version : main sail slugs

marinergeek
10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Went out twice this weekend in 20 knot winds in my (new to me) Express 27. My wife was functioning as the AP, and I was doing everything else. After that experience I ordered hanks for the foresails first thing this week.

With a bolt rope main and the halyard led to the cockpit, handling the sail wasn't easy. Any tips to make this manageable in a breeze? Do I need more practice or should I install slugs asap? I will be sailing by myself most of the time.

todd22123
10-20-2011, 09:44 PM
I have the same boat. Am trying to figure out the best way. Even though main halyard is led to cockpit, it can be raised from the base of mast by pulling just after it goes through the turning block on the base of the mast. this way, you can still feed it into the groove. there is, however, at least one singlehanded Express 27, "Taz", that uses slugs in the mast groove.

As far as the luff groove, i have marked the halyard at the point where the jib is up about 5 feet above the deck. this way, i can feed the jib through the pre-feeder and clip to the halyard. a bungie on the foredeck is helpful. i still have difficulty, though, with the jib trying to get over the lifeline into the water. it seems like the majority of people recommend hanks for singlehanders, but there are some notable exceptions. i believe the Olson 30, Idefix, uses luff groove.

Good luck,
Todd

Harrier
10-21-2011, 09:10 AM
"Harrier" uses slugs for the mainsail and a Hood Gemini twin groove aluminum foil for the headasail. 1081 vintage boat came with the Gemini and I have not converted to hanks, primarily due to expense and trouble to convert a bunch of headsails from luff tapes. I haven't had much trouble with sails going overboard while going back to the cockpit to raise the halyard. Zig zag line between the lifelines and slotted toe rail capture the sails pretty well.

BobJ
10-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Ragtime! has slugs on her mains. The halyards are led aft but I have a large Ronstan V-Cleat (RF5110) on each side of the mast to temporarily catch the halyard while hoisting or dropping a sail. Once the sail is hoisted I go aft and tail the halyard through the clutch, etc.

If you install these cleats:

1) make sure they are far enough out of alignment with the halyards that they won't accidentally catch in the cleat when you're lowering a sail, and

2) make sure you use Tef-Gel or similar on the SS screws. The cleats are a Teflon/carbon fiber composite so no problem there, but the SS screws into aluminum can cause problems.

pogen
10-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I went from luff rope in the mast groove to slugs in the groove when I bought my new main. These are the Bainbridge type with square flange. After some initial break-in period they are working fine. I also went with a 2:1 purchase on the main halyard, I can stand in the cockpit and just pull up the main from there, with maybe one last crank using a winch. I also have lazy jacks. This is all on my 34-footer, it may be that you don't need lazy jacks on a E-27 which has a smaller sail .

One problem with the slugs is that it makes using a storm trysail pretty impractical in real life, though you can still pass inspection.

cafemontaigne
10-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I have a boltrope main and foil headstay. To hoist the main, I do what Todd says and go up to the mast and pull it up there, then hold on to it with one hand while I pull out the slack from the clutch with the other. Obviously with a bigger boat this would be impossible, but on an e27 it should be easy. A cleat on the mast like Bob would be ideal, but I'm too lazy to put one in.

For the headsails, I have lashing in the lifelines to keep them aboard, and bungees with hooks running along the toerail for the first 8 feet or so. In light conditions I can easily hoist a sail without having to go to the bow. If the wind and waves pull the sail on deck into a weird twist I might have to go up there and give it a tug before hoisting the rest of the way. This is not an issue when peeling.

Overall I'm pretty happy not having slugs or hanks on this boat, but it's a small boat with limited sail area...

marinergeek
10-24-2011, 08:12 AM
I have sailed 3 times since my original post, once with 15-20 knots. With some prep at the dock folding the main on the boom(and more practice) raising is now not an issue from the cockpit or mast. I have yet to figure out how to lower the main in seamanlike manner. Folding or rolling up the sail properly was more than difficult on the boat. Lazy jacks are an option, but the main is small.... I really shouldn't need them.

The headsail foil is only an issue in heavy winds, it works great in light to medium. So far I haven't made the change to hanks yet.

Thanks to all
Bill