PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Cup for Shorthanded Crews

Culebra
12-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Great news! Encinal Yacht Club, host of the Coastal Cup race, is adding some new divisions to support our strange breed of sailor: doublehanded and singlehanded, both monohull AND, yes, multihull, starting now, 2012. Plus, in future years they are also going to add a longer SHTP-qualifying course option that extends offshore by the required minimum distance, and that runs an entire distance of the requisite amount. So, feedback is desired here.

Who is interested?
How serious is your interest for 2012? future years?
Single or Doublehanded?
What kind of boat?
Standard course or SHTP-qualifying course?
What schedule? odd years only (same as LongPac), or even years too, when you can't find your way to Hanalei Bay, or both?

Thanks, and if you can think of anything else, fire away.

Paul/Culebra

ronnie simpson
12-19-2011, 11:04 PM
I would be extremely interested in a singlehanded shtp qualifier course on odd number years. If they ran it in march or april of 2012, i would probably enter.

BobJ
12-20-2011, 01:41 AM
very interesting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QczyNaIu9Mo&feature=related)

You better have a good autopilot for that one - it blows like crap most years, with big seas. Then there's the bash home.

But still... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QczyNaIu9Mo&feature=related)

brianb
12-21-2011, 09:12 PM
In a Moore ? Tough tacking on I-5 or 101 ?

very interesting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QczyNaIu9Mo&feature=related)

You better have a good autopilot for that one - it blows like crap most years, with big seas. Then there's the bash home.

But still... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QczyNaIu9Mo&feature=related)

Culebra
12-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Exactly, and then there's keeping watch for oil platforms and commercial shipping!

Say good night Bob.

BobJ
01-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Say good night Bob.

Good night Bob.

Mitch
01-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Paul - want me to post this to the BAMA forums?

While I'd love to do the Coastal on HapaGirl - I'm not up to it. The probably is, but I'm not.

dhusselman
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I did the coastal cup double handed in Xpression (C&C 110) I think it was in 2004. It was a great race (except for hitting a whale). Even though I prefer single-handed offshore racing, I don't know if I would do the coastal cup single handed.
The return trip can be challenging as well. I bailed out on the first attempt (blowing like snot).

Dirk

ronnie simpson
01-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know what the dates are for Coastal Cup 2012? If it was in May instead of mid-June (like last year), then I may potentially be interested in doing the race this year. The race last year was epic. We were hitting 20 knots of boat speed on the first afternoon, before ripping our main in a round up and being forced to retire.

ronnie simpson
01-23-2012, 07:06 PM
In a Moore ? Tough tacking on I-5 or 101 ?

"US 101" would come back via "US 101". It would only make sense.... :)

Travieso
01-23-2012, 09:07 PM
At least the one to SB, but it is a sprint and pretty intense in the normally nuking conditions and swell. But I'm pretty sure I want a competent foredeck for that race. To me this is a race that I think is more fun crewed, though it is still unnerving trying to sleep when the other watch is pulling 25+ knots in the middle of the night (when I'm on the watch it is fun when it is not terrifying:)

Though then again, with a good fleet of shorthanded boats it might be a good alternative for a qualifier, and certainly provide some bragging rights.

Culebra
01-24-2012, 01:04 AM
Paul - want me to post this to the BAMA forums?

You bet. Thanks.

Paul

Culebra
01-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Does anyone know what the dates are for Coastal Cup 2012?

Sorry Ronnie, starts June 13.

Paul

Culebra
01-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Though then again, with a good fleet of shorthanded boats it might be a good alternative for a qualifier, and certainly provide some bragging rights.

The organizers are thinking that the longer TP qualifier course would only be offered in odd years, same as LongPac, so, not this year. Disappointing. The longer course offshore appeals to me more, especially sailed solo. But I probably won't be able to resist the temptation to do this race, solo or crewed. And I agree, would be great to have a solid fleet of shorthanded boats.

Paul/Culebra
Olson 34

ronnie simpson
01-24-2012, 10:14 AM
But I probably won't be able to resist the temptation to do this race, solo or crewed.

need crew?

dhusselman
02-01-2012, 02:13 PM
need crew?

Ronnie, are you interested in sailing the Coastal Cup double-handed?
Would you have time to sail the boat back? :)

ronnie simpson
02-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Ronnie, are you interested in sailing the Coastal Cup double-handed?
Would you have time to sail the boat back? :)

Maybe. And maybe. Let's talk at the next meeting... Cheers!

Culebra
02-02-2012, 05:45 PM
The Notice of Race was posted recently for the Coastal Cup. In a conversation I had yesterday with Michael Andrews from Encinal, he said actually they are still considering offering a qualifier type of long course for the singlehanded division, this year. Great news! To ensure the racers cover the requisite 400 nm (the finish is in Santa Barbara), the Longitude "mark" would be something like 130 nm off Pt Sur... just a guess. As stated in the NOR, divisions aren't certain until they see who enters. So it would help if anyone interested in the shorthanded options could indicate their interest here in the Forum, and which you're considering/planning to race, as follows:

1. Short course - Doublehanded
2. Short course - Singlehanded
3. Long course - Singlehanded (TPac qualifier rules apply)

Culebra is most interested in the SH long course, but if they don't get enough boats to justify that division, I'll probably opt for DH short course.

Paul/Culebra

Culebra
02-02-2012, 05:54 PM
need crew?

After my 219th place finish in the 3BF you should reconsider your options. Actually it would be way cool to have you aboard, but hopefully I'm sailing singlehanded.

Since you could cart your "101" up the 101 to get home, you should consider entering! There would still be plenty of time to get your mind, body and boat ready for June 30. I'm hoping we get a good turnout of shorthanders for the Coastal Cup.

Paul

ronnie simpson
02-03-2012, 12:56 AM
if they held the race in April, or even mid-May, i would enter right now. if it were an odd year race, then maybe so as well. but i can't enter a 400-mile race down the coast that starts in mid-June, when i'm racing to Hawaii on June 30.... having said that, i might find a yacht to race on double handed or fully crewed.