PDA

View Full Version : February TransPac Seminar

Culebra
01-10-2012, 09:30 PM
The date is set, February 18. We want to thank Encinal and especially Michael Andrews for making this possible.

From Rob (race chair) Tryon back in October:
Cruise-in at Encinal YC – Tour race vets’ boats to see how they prepared, and bring your boat for show & tell. This is a great opportunity to get to know each other in a relaxed environment.

So come on your boat, or just come and see how others are doing. See you there!!

pogen
01-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Cool, we will likely be there. Kind of a long slog from my marina though. ;)

captleasure
01-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the update. Tortuga will be there!

SSS.ScottP
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
I've got it down on my calendar and will plan on joining you there one way or another.

Culebra
02-02-2012, 06:10 PM
So far it sounds like the following boats are planning/hoping to sail in to Encinal for the Cruise-in Seminar:

Silent Sun
Rosalita
Tortuga
Temerity
Culebra

Who else? Can we get a list going of the boats planning to physically be there? And of course we know many skippers will be there without their boats, too.

Thanks!!
Paul

Phil MacFarlane
02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm going to try and make it. It depends on work and weather. Work depends on weather so...it's been a good year so far.
Still don't know if I will make the start line but I'm still hoping to. And I sure some of you would like to see the mini anyway.

ronnie simpson
02-03-2012, 12:53 AM
the epic yacht US 101 will be there.

MMELOY
02-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Even Keel will be there.

BobJ
02-03-2012, 10:47 AM
What you say - Even (Ronnie's) Keel will be there?

I have great hopes to get Ragtime! back down from Vallejo for the event. Due to the busy season at work and dealing with a death in the family it will be a trick, but I'd hate to miss it.

ronnie simpson
02-03-2012, 10:54 AM
i'll sail it over for you, if you'd like, Bob. i've always wanted to sail that boat...

BobJ
02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I understand. I've been feeling the same way . . .

Oceanslogic
02-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Domino is planning on being there! Look forward to seeing you all there...

pogen
02-06-2012, 08:13 AM
I'll bring the boat unless it is up at the riggers.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday staring at the confusing mess of wires in my battery bay/engine compartment. A number of important looking ones run under the fiberglass liner, with seemingly no access at all. It would be nice to rip out most of it and start from scratch to get rid of errors and ground loops.

Harrier
02-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Sounds like that will be a fun get together. Sorry I'm too far away...and separated from Harrier.
So, my question is: Who has put their money where their mouth is...by way of the entry fee for the 30 June start??

pogen
02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Sounds like that will be a fun get together. Sorry I'm too far away...and separated from Harrier.
So, my question is: Who has put their money where their mouth is...by way of the entry fee for the 30 June start??

Well I am not doing SHTP though I am going to most of the meetings etc.

We are doing the Pac Cup double handed, which is like the SHTP but with a lot more sleep -- taking turns singlehanding much of the time.

Thinking about SHTP for 2014, if all goes well.

ronnie simpson
02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Harrier,

I believe there are about 10 entries that are official and have paid.

I can't recite all of them, but here's the ones I can remember:

Alex Meehan- Open 50 "Truth"
Tom Watson- Pearson Triton "Darwind"
Jen Mooney- Ericson 27 "Little Bo Peep"
Ruben Gabriel- Moore 24 "Rushmoore"
Ronnie Simpson- Moore 24 "US 101"

There's about 5 or 6 more that have paid, but I can't quite recall their names and boat names.

Harrier
02-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks Ronnie. I know 2 out of the 5. Does it look like a big fleet of the little Moores?

Culebra
02-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I would enjoy watching The General put these young whipper snappers on their little Moore 24s to the test.

Paul

Harrier
02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Trying to put pressure on me, Paul?
At my age, I'll probably have trouble changing sails...Did the SSS ever get around to awarding handicap boosts for advanced age?

WIDMAT
02-07-2012, 11:48 AM
First you are young; then you are middle-aged; then you are old; then you are wonderful.

Harrier
02-07-2012, 12:30 PM
I suspect the last does not occur until someone is giving your eulogy! And that's way too late for sailboat racing...but good to know there's an ultimate
attainment.

Velocious
02-07-2012, 06:31 PM
So I just put the check in the envelope. Cookie Jar's entry goes in the mail tomorrow. 3 Moore 24's and an OD start here we come. CJ has been on Moore's reef since October and will be coming off in about 2 weeks with a makeover. She now sports an open transom, new companionway hatch and no holes except for the through hull speedo transducer. She has a new coat of paint and new non-skid and yes, she is still the little yellow boat. I am working with Bruce Schwab and Greg Nelson to put in some new LiFePo batteries and a high efficiency solar panel. We've shed all the unnecessary weight and should be at class minimum. All I need to do now is reacquaint myself with how she sails! Looking forward to racing with you. Unfortunately I can't make the February seminar because of a bagpipe competition, but I'll try to make the next one.

ronnie simpson
02-07-2012, 11:42 PM
That sounds great George!

I had heard a lot of rumors, so i'm super stoked to hear that you are definitely entering the race. OD Moore class is going to be awesome! Sounds like our boats are going to have very similar set-ups, aside from the open transom.

Best of luck, let me know if you need help with anything.

Ronnie

Shoofly
02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Do I need to touch base with anybody at EYC about dockage? I'd be heading over from sausalito so is the plan for an all day thing, or mostly just the afternoon?

I'm new to SSS, with a new to me boat, so I'm just barely started getting sorted out, but am seriously looking at planning for a 2014 SHTP. Looking to learn a bunch from past veterans before I get seriously into boat prep.

thanks
shoofly

Culebra
02-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Come on over... boats will probably arrive throughout the morning. No need to provide any other advance notice. Where to dock will directed by EYC when you get there.

Paul/Culebra

Oceanslogic
02-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks to the SSS for putting on such a fun event at Encinal on Saturday. A great turn out and it was nice to meet some new bug lighters :) Tree time isn't too far away!

Adam
S/V Domino
www.oceanslogic.com

SSS.ScottP
02-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Yes it was a fun time. Many more laughs than expected, fun, informative and inspirational. Thanks to all.