PDA

View Full Version : Request for a ruling on "Rules and Conditions"

ChrisH
02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
In the scheme of things this seems like small potatoes, nonetheless I'd like to submit a request for a ruling on section 4, MINIMUM EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS under the "2008 Rules and Conditions," specifically 4.16: "Two waterproof flashlights, with spare batteries and bulbs."

What if both flashlights have an array of LED "bulbs"? LEDs are rated for 40,000+ hours and are integrally soldered to the head of the luminaire housing, making replacement difficult. in essence, one would need two spare flashlights to meet the requirement.

That said, if I need two spare flashlights...I'll have them.

Thanks.
ChrisH (now at a 4/5 interest level)

blighbaum
02-28-2008, 11:18 PM
What about 4 waterproof flashlights, each complete with batteries and bulbs, in lieu of two waterproof flashlights with spare bulbs? As a practical matter, if a flashlight goes dim or dead in my hand, I'll grab another flashlight rather than fumble around in the dark with a spare bulb and new batteries.

-- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

BobJ
02-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Hey Chris, so glad to hear you're 4/5 instead of 1/5, and have cause to fuss about flashlights. Are you taking the kite-cam again this time?

If you happen to drop one of the LED's on its end and crack the array, you're down to one flashlight.

Last time, I got a two-pack of small aluminum Garrity flashlights at West Marine, with o-rings for waterproofing and spare bulbs under the end caps. I don't remember what I paid but I'm sure it was less than ten bucks for the pair.

ChrisH
02-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks Bob and Tom,

Points well taken. I'd just hate to load Carroll E down with the added weight of two extra flashlights :D

If I go, the kite-cam will be coming along once again. I'm trying to cob together a water proof housing so I can capture an oncoming squall...at least that's the idea. The big issue form me now is sailing back or shipping the boat....

ChrisH
Carroll E #39

tiger beetle
03-01-2008, 11:01 AM
In the scheme of things this seems like small potatoes, nonetheless I'd like to submit a request for a ruling on section 4, MINIMUM EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS under the "2008 Rules and Conditions," specifically 4.16: "Two waterproof flashlights, with spare batteries and bulbs."

What if both flashlights have an array of LED "bulbs"? LEDs are rated for 40,000+ hours and are integrally soldered to the head of the luminaire housing, making replacement difficult. in essence, one would need two spare flashlights to meet the requirement.

Hi Chris - While not an official ruling (that must come from Synthia), the purpose of the rule is to have on board the ability to replace the bulb and battery(ies) in each of the two required flashlights. It sounds like the bulb in the flashlight design you've elected to carry is rather exotic in that it includes an integral aluminum housing (the flashlight body).

So you would need to have two flashlights with bulbs and batteries, and two spare bulbs and batteries. Translated - four flashlights, four sets of batteries.

- rob/beetle