PDA

View Full Version : How long to sail up from San Diego?

Philpott
01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
How long would it take to sail from San Diego in February or March? Not racing, just schlepping up in a boat? Say a full keel boat? I'm sure a whole crowd of you have done it. Well, maybe in faster boats, but still.

tiger beetle
01-13-2012, 04:46 PM
if the goal is to move boat north as fast as possible, then the general plan is to motor up the coast to san francisco.

from san diego it's a 24 hour run to santa barbara at 7 knots.
wait for good weather window (two knots out of the south is perfect)
from santa barbara to monterey bay is 36-40 hours, add 12 more and you're at the gate or half moon bay.

from monterey north you're in local waters and you probably already know the timings.

the key to the run is being willing to wait in santa barbara for good conditions, and then carry enough fuel (and fuel filters) to go the whole route in one shot. It's likely you'll get a 2-3 day window in the winter, and it's nice to not have to pull over in Monterey to take on more fuel.

At least that's how I've done the trip north over the years. I honestly haven't tried to sail the entire route, that could take a significantly longer time depending on wind and tacking angles.

- rob