PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Dan Newland - SSS history

Critter
01-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Anybody have an email address or phone number for Dan Newland? Send me a PM please.

Also, who's the reigning expert on SSS history? I'm thinking Beetle Rob. Anyone else I should talk to?

thanks
Max

tiger beetle
01-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Hi Max -

you might also check in with Peter Hogg, Dan's a good choice, Peter Jones on Emerald, Dan Benjamin, Paul Kamen...

what are you looking to put together?

- rob/beetle

Critter
01-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Looking for a speaker on the history of SSS a skippers meeting one of these days. It'd also be good to get some text on the website.

tiger beetle
01-18-2012, 12:36 PM
max - check your email, I sent you Dan's how three bridge got started writeup.

- rob/beetle

Critter
01-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Got it, thanks Rob.

cafemontaigne
01-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Max,

I think Dan is active with the Port Townsend Sailing Association (http://ptsail.org/). You might want to check there.

Adrian

Critter
01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
I got in touch with Dan. Thanks Adrian and everyone else who responded.

JimQuanci
03-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Max - something you might look into - if you haven't already. Go down to the Lat38 office and ask to borrow copies of Lat38 for the years and months where they had the post race review of the SH Transpac going back to the beginning of time. Go to FedEx-Kinkos and copy it all.

I did this several years back for the PacCup - getting a good 70+ pages of race reviews through the years. Sitting down and reading through all the race stories captured by Lat38 makes for a delightful evening. Seeing the pictures Lat38 took of many old friends when they were much younger is a gas. Seeing folks I only met when they were older as kids - that Lat38 captured in their youth for posterity.