PDA

View Full Version : 4 out of 7 !

PSutchek
01-18-2012, 10:06 PM
So , for us double handers , that don't have a set of lifelines on tall or short stantions ,,, there is only 4 out of 7 races that we can do if we register as SSS members ?

Really , ?

Am I missing something for 2012 ? and How much does that make it per race ?

Hmmm, just going over the master calender , again

any suggestions ?

-Paul

load up and let loose !

tiger beetle
01-18-2012, 10:25 PM
So , for us double handers , that don't have a set of lifelines on tall or short stantions ,,, there is only 4 out of 7 races that we can do if we register as SSS members ?

Really , ?

Am I missing something for 2012 ? and How much does that make it per race ?

Hmmm, just going over the master calender , again

any suggestions ?

-Paul

load up and let loose !

My suggestion is that you've mistakenly over-stated the number of races the Singlehanded Sailing Society sponsors for doublehanded entries... if you were a doublehander (with or without stanchions and lifelines), which 7 SSS races would you be entering?

Personally I count 5 races the SSS organizes that have a doublehanded division in 2012, and without required lifelines and stanchions then you would have difficulty entering the SSS HMB race. 4 out of 5 sounds about right for the doublehander in that circumstance.

- rob/beetle

PSutchek
01-18-2012, 11:21 PM
I see your point ,, ,

Matt
01-19-2012, 10:52 AM
4 out of 5 is the correct number but I think I understand the frustration where this post came from being a small boat owner that has put on and taken off the lifelines 4 times for the SSS rules. I think I am the only person that has done this for the last 5 years. I have considered getting into the lifeline argument online but will wait for the next SSS safety committee meeting to voice my opinion in person.

I will say that at the next SSS safety committee meeting, there will be some boat owners that own boats that are smaller than 30'-40' that have a say in the life line rule for an SSS near shore race to Half Moon Bay. For a singlehanded single day race to the Farallones, I don't want anyone that owns a 40' or 30' boat telling me what equipment Tinker needs for the race. I will sail the race without entering or install sturdy railings rather than life lines. Having the results show my name is not as important as doing the course in a safe way. Putting lifelines on my boat makes me less safe for the Farallones race and no one that sails a boat other than a Wilderness 21 can prove to me otherwise. I have experienced a near death situation because of lifelines on Tinker and would prefer a sturdy railing or nothing but the jack-lines and tether. We will have words in person at the next SSS safety meeting. This decision has upset more than a few people in the SSS organization and in the bay area racing community.

Matt
01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
On a less life and death serious note:

$160 for membership and 4 in the bay races is still only $40/race. Registering for each race individually doublehanded would be $240. It's still a good deal to do the membership and get lots of shirts.

tiger beetle
01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
On a less life and death serious note:

$160 for membership and 4 in the bay races is still only $40/race. Registering for each race individually doublehanded would be $240. It's still a good deal to do the membership and get lots of shirts.

Did membership go up? I thought it was $135 for the year to race SSS.

- rob/beetle

Matt
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM
I pay the $160 sometimes for membership and the SSS affiliation for YRA races. I think whopass has a yacht club membership so you're right $135.

Whoopass
01-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Nice to hear from you, Matt. Please email me the date for the next SSS meeting that will include your objections to the 2012 SSS Safety Rules, and I'll be there, with hellfire and brimstone!

See ya next weekend.

Richard
richard@woodwonk.com