PDA

View Full Version : OGM Tri-color

ChrisH
02-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Prior to the '06 Transpac I installed an OGM (Orca Green Marine) LED, Tri-Color light at the mast head, it worked like a charm. However, during the '07 Longpac I noticed that when on it cuts the VHF reception by quite a bit (I was communicating with Ergo at sunset and could no longer receive him after turning on the tri-color). I had sailed to Hawaii with deaf ears at night!

I contacted OGM and they are aware of the problem and about to release a newer version of the light that hopefully will fix the problem. In the interim they have ferrite chokes that you need to install on the wire leads coming out of the unit (these need to be as close to the unit as possible....so its back up the mast for you if you've already installed the light). The new lights will have the ferrites incorporated into the voltage regulator.

It seems the RF interference only occurs when used in conjunction with newer VHF radios, specifically ICOM, West Marine/ Uniden (I have the ICOM 504).

Here's more info:
http://ogmtechnical.blogspot.com/

Chris H
Carroll E #39

Libations Too
03-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Chris,

As I think you know I experienced the same problem with my OGM Tricolor/anchor...both in tricolor and in anchor mode. I use a West Marine (Uniden) VHF 600...new in 2006.

After someone else told me about the ferrite bead fix I contacted OGM and they very willingly sent the ferrite bead and a little sketch. Exactly as you stated...as close to the light as possible. I haven't installed it yet, but when it is I'll post here with the results.

4/5...Hmmm. Good on you!

Richard
Libations Too

jfoster
03-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Folks with LED Nav lights and LED interior lights are familiar with the phenomenon of their lights flashing like a Christmas tree when using a Pactor modem for SSB transmissions.

Ferrite beads, on the power leads as close to each light as possible, to the rescue!