PDA

View Full Version : Three Bridge Fiasco Preliminary Results Updates

SSSForumAdmin
02-02-2012, 11:40 AM
The 2012 Three Bridge Fiasco preliminary results have been updated. http://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T002037580

The time stamped finish line pictures are all posted online at: https://picasaweb.google.com/MatthewRBeall/ThreeBridgeFiasco2012FinishLinePictures?authuser=0&feat=directlink
The pictures are in order as racers crossed the finish line. Sometimes crossing and coming back from black aller.

If there are any corrections or concerns email: sail@sfbaysss.org and your email will be forwarded on to the race committee.

Matt

Matt
02-07-2012, 09:29 AM
I've uploaded the videos that were used to create the snapshots for finish line pictures. It helps to have the audio to hear what is called out for sail numbers as people cross the line. Youtube Finish Line Videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/SSSWebDude?feature=mhee)

There is also a good video of the Rocket 88 & Bridge Runner finishes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRmPgg166Tg&context=C3b27659ADOEgsToPDskIszDE2TfCd3d8M3D4_hMZn ).

I'll put together some highlights for the trophy meeting tomorrow.

Matt

kapiib
02-07-2012, 04:17 PM
If anyone would like to come early to OYC around 6:45 pm to help distribute the mammoth load of shirts tomorrow night I would be grateful for the assistance. Please PM me to let me know and I'll forward any details. Thanks much!

Kristen

Mephisto Cat
02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I've uploaded the videos that were used to create the snapshots for finish line pictures. It helps to have the audio to hear what is called out for sail numbers as people cross the line. Youtube Finish Line Videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/SSSWebDude?feature=mhee)

There is also a good video of the Rocket 88 & Bridge Runner finishes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRmPgg166Tg&context=C3b27659ADOEgsToPDskIszDE2TfCd3d8M3D4_hMZn ).

I'll put together some highlights for the trophy meeting tomorrow.

Matt

Great Job Race deck! Great pictures & videos!

Is there a video for finishers after Finish line video 3-3?

Ursus
02-20-2012, 11:07 AM
First of all, let me apologize if my comments offended anyone at the 3BF trophy presentation.

I had never done shorthanded racing before arriving in the SF bay area a few years ago.
It rocks! SSS rocks! Your races are really cool. Thanks!

But:
We were into the 46th minute of getting blamed for things others did and the skippers on our table were starting to gnaw their arms off in desperation.
To ensure the safety of all involved, someone had to stop it. ;-)

And yes, I was wrong to suggest that boat to boat protests would be the solution, as the outcome in such cases is inherently messy and unfair.
In addition, I seem to have left the impression that it is ok to break the rules if nobody protests; that is certainly not my attitude (except in a match race).
Contrary to popular believe, I do get the ‘Corinthian spirit’ and don’t like protests. However a boat in a restricted zone that refuses to retire by itself has already violated the spirit so there should be no regrets in administering the fair penalty.

What I think the SSS should do:

Add graphics of the restricted areas within the SI (SSS is working on this; great!)
Show the restricted areas in the online registration and force an acknowledgment (similar to the safety stuff)
Add a paragraph 3c in the SI (http://www.sfbaysss.org/2012/PDF/ssi12.pdf). “Violates any restricted area”
then spread the rumor that land observers, photoboats and dedicated vessels will be out to enforce 3c.

If the situation improves; fine. If not, DSQ some of the worst offenders and make a fuss about it.

Trophy presentation:
I was planning to do a replay of the GPS tracks of some of the boats *before* the trophy presentation. Unfortunately I did not get the track files until it started so I was showing some narcissistic time lapse movie of BridgeRunner; will do better next time.
The attractiveness of trophy presentations could be greatly increased if a ‘replay/ bring your vid’ session would become a permanent fixture before the ‘official’ part.
Happy to help (projector, IT, etc)

Full disclosure:

I submitted a RAF in the 2011 3BF after a friend advised me that we had passed inside a restricted area; I had a chat with my crew (he was unsure), checked the GPS track, then submitted a RAF. The friend who called me out is still a friend.
We were penalized 20 minutes in the 2011 Richmond to South Beach Race, for late check in (we were out of VHF range at check-in time)
Without the penalty we would have won by eight minutes. I am not complaining about the penalty, as we simply violated a part of the SI’s.

BobJ
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
1) Put the single-handed 3BF on another weekend.

2) Give the double-handed 3BF to YRA to run (they could use the money).

SSS does a great job but the heart of the club is "lost in the noise." Those of you who know me, know where I'm coming from.

(Good post Ursus.)

Travieso
02-21-2012, 07:49 PM
1) Put the single-handed 3BF on another weekend.

2) Give the double-handed 3BF to YRA to run (they could use the money).

SSS does a great job but the heart of the club is "lost in the noise." Those of you who know me, know where I'm coming from.

(Good post Ursus.)

Uh, oh, am I the only one in shock that the accountant amongst us is suggesting the organization hands out the single most revenue generating race we have? Which if I seem to recall, helps support the expenses of running the SHTP?

Never mind the bragging rights of holding the largest race in the bay?

Organizational suicide??

Do let me know if we want to do a SH only 3B. I'll be sure to show up :)

BobJ
02-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Absolutely, although I agree it's a bit ironic that I'm the one suggesting it. One correction: In recent years the SHTP has been self-supporting financially.

"Who We Are" (from the Home Page)

"The Singlehanded Sailing Society provides a forum where sailors and others interested in the sport of singlehanded sailing can share their ideas and experiences. It is the intent of the SSS to make it possible for such sailors to compete in seaworthy sailing vessels of various types and designs on a fair and equitable basis. The races provide an organized arena in which ideas, equipment, designs, and vessels specifically created, built, modified, or equipped for long distance singlehanded racing may be tested and evaluated through friendly sportsmanlike competition. The development of personal skill in singlehanded sailing is encouraged through sailing events and seminars."

When the 3BF became an event that single-handers elected to stay home from (and there are those who feel this way), it's time for the SSS to re-evaluate, IMHO.

Jan Brewer
02-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi all y'all,

I am in the process of putting together a 3BF wrap-up with the board and would welcome any input or comments at this point for us to consider. I've never heard about the singlehanders staying home. I was very fortunate to secure the help of one such gentleman on race deck. and maybe that's the "real" reason another gentleman showed that morning unannounced. Something has to give 'cause for a bunch of volunteers to pull off race deck managed the first time by SSS's race deck chair is analogous to . . . as Max has said "it gets easier from here on out." Enough of my grousing and thanks for the idea, Bob. I'll think on it and we'll talk some more about that!

Oh, PS, last time I checked and if I remember right SHTP owes us some money so . . .

BobJ
02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
I can't help with the latter - please talk to Rob about any monies owed. The SHTP budget is a little hair-raising until you pass the refund deadline, but it came out okay last time.

Since it sounds like there may be some willingness to talk about it - my own experience is that the combination of a reluctance to protest boats, the willingness of many to ignore the restricted areas, and the sheer number of boats starting and rounding marks together makes single-handing the race a sobering proposition. My personal experiences include:

A Melges 24 on port that jammed through a group of starboard tack starters at the pin and took a chunk out of Ragtime!'s stem. I was so stunned that I failed to take the necessary steps to protest him, and he didn't retire.

A Cal 40 (not the Buffalo) that gybed across my bow (without looking back) and put a rip clear across the foot of my spinnaker when it caught on his stern pulpit. Yes he was ahead obviously, but you're supposed to allow the room and opportunity to keep clear.

Many close calls that required crash tacks or other evasive maneuvers to avoid double-handed boats. The single-handers almost always give each other extra space or even a "pass" to avoid making it too close.

The race is a blast and the R/C does an amazing job to pull it all off, but it is not conducive to single-handing in my view, which runs counter to the stated purpose of the SSS.

Philpott
02-22-2012, 07:37 PM
I registered 334 boats for the Fiasco, and every single skipper with whom I communicated was pleasant and civil. However, even though it is a nice advertisement for SSS, most one time participants (and there were many) had no intention of joining the SSS. They just wanted to participate in the circus. I think this should be a full membership decision, not one made by the board. Personally I wouldn't mind handing it over to YRA, and not because it was alot of work. Besides, I don't think the SSS ever meant to become a money making concern.

Travieso
02-22-2012, 08:03 PM
I registered 334 boats for the Fiasco, and every single skipper with whom I communicated was pleasant and civil. However, even though it is a nice advertisement for SSS, most one time participants (and there were many) had no intention of joining the SSS. They just wanted to participate in the circus. I think this should be a full membership decision, not one made by the board. Personally I wouldn't mind handing it over to YRA, and not because it was alot of work. Besides, I don't think the SSS ever meant to become a money making concern.

I don't think anyone is making money. But the organization needs funds to support itself. Imagine what we could do if we could raise enough funds to have a RC boat (small whaler) or contribute enough to one of the clubs to be able to use theirs and have access to marks? It is also nice to be able to provide lunch for the race deck volunteers if we had sufficient funds for it, or plant spotter boats around the restricted areas, etc, etc. Again, I'm not suggesting we become a for profit organization, but don't give away the cow that could provide us some improvements and long term viability.

Could we partner with YRA for some profit sharing if they ran our registration??? well, that is a thought if both parties are interested (I do think we have a vested interest in supporting the YRA). But with the improvements with online registration, is it needed (I do know what it is to have to manually enter the database for 300 boats, been there).

Anyways, open forum...

Cheers

Philpott
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
The ephemeral nature of this organization is part of its very wonderful appeal. When you write "small whaler" I think: Maintenance, storage, trailer licensing, insurance. In whose driveway would we keep it? Who would bring it to every race? That's what yacht clubs are for!

BobJ
02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Could we partner with YRA for some profit sharing if they ran our registration?
That skipped right past the point. Are you saying you'd be open to SSS running the single-handed 3BF as a separate race? If so, it would be asking a lot for the SSS to run two races and it would make sense to hand the double-handed 3BF to the YRA.

Regarding the financial impact, if this brought the single-handers back out the SSS race could break even. That's all we need - each race just needs to break even.

Travieso
02-23-2012, 11:25 PM
That skipped right past the point. Are you saying you'd be open to SSS running the single-handed 3BF as a separate race? If so, it would be asking a lot for the SSS to run two races and it would make sense to hand the double-handed 3BF to the YRA.

Regarding the financial impact, if this brought the single-handers back out the SSS race could break even. That's all we need - each race just needs to break even.

Hi Bob,

I'm not as offended by the large numbers of double-handed entries. After racing for many years purely in the singlehanded division, the double handed division has opened the door to race against new skipper/boats in often a more competitive fleets (not necessarily talking about skill, just the number of boats). Would many of them do singlehanded if it was the only option, perhaps. I would still come out and play if it was SH only. I have also lucked out with great crew and has been fun to have someone else onboard.

I'd like to think that there is something about the SSS running the race that attracts the large fleet. I certainly take some pride as a member and ex-officer of the organization. But perhaps it would be just as popular if it was run by the YRA as part of the Party Circuit.

BobJ
02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
"I'm not as offended by the large numbers of double-handed entries."

I'm not offended by them - they're just hard on the Awlgrip.

Jackie yes, having ADD is a requirement for membership. Why else would we race solo around the Farallones more than once?