PDA

View Full Version : windvane for loan or sale?

Jen Mooney
04-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Hey guys
I just found out that the windvane that was generously being loaned to me isn't going to work for Little Bo Peep. Our timeline is getting short as you all know and likely you all know how our funds are running out too :) If any of you have a windvane or know of someone who has a windvane that could be loaned for the race or bought at a REALLY great price please let me know. Thanks Jen

hodgmo
04-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Jen - This may not be a favor, but if you are almost desperate: I have a nearly complete ATOMS windvane that you can have (in Santa Barbara). ATOMS were a once-popular French servo-pendulum windvane; they are long out of business. This unit has been to the Marqueses and back on NAIAD, a 39' UDLP (~10,000 lb) built in the '70s. I have an ATOMS on my Islander 36 (~14,000 lb) that has worked well, sailing as far as San Carlos, MX. There are/were four combinations of ATOMS servo and pendulum halves (tops and bottoms) so whether this one would work on your Ericson 27 "depends." In any case you will need to do some metal fab to adapt the bracket. I can send you more info if you are interested – but I hope you find something newer!
Steve
Steve dot hodges at cox dot net

Harrier
04-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Steve: If Jen can't use your Atoms, I sure could. The little spiral piece inside my vertical part (changes crank movement to linear to adjust vane...made of French plastic) is kaput. Perhaps yours could replace it? Mine has been to Tahiti and back. Pretty good vane, considering its light weight construction.
Thanks Ken Roper sailharrier@msn.com

Jen Mooney
04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Hey Steve

Thanks so much for the offer on the Atoms. Looks like I have found a used Cape Horn vane that I'll be able to use so I won't need the Atoms. Thanks again!

Jen

ronnie simpson
04-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Why won't a Navik work on the Ericson 27? I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work.

Harrier
04-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Neither can I.........Maybe it was defective.

Jen Mooney
04-26-2012, 08:25 AM
It was a little too old and worn out to be used. I didn't want to gamble on getting out there and finding out it decided to give up on me. Would have been nice if it work though...getting very good at spending money I don't have :)

Jen