PDA

View Full Version : Detailed study on competitive/winning attitude during Transpac

Foolish
05-24-2012, 06:24 AM
I've been given Ron's OK to do a detailed study on maintaining a competitive/winning attitude during the SH Transpac. Here is my idea:

There have been several studies done on how singlehanders deal with stress during long races. I have referenced all of these in my book. However, I have not been able to find anything at all on how to maintain a competitive/winning frame of mind during these races. Even the Artemus Institute in England has not properly studied this issue.

We know that sports psychologists specialize in training elite athletes to win. At the top level the difference between 1st and 4th place is purely mental. But there is no other sport in the world that compares to long distance singlehanded races. So I think we have the chance to produce some breakthrough research. I might even send it to a sports psychology journal! I will certainly put the results in the next edition of my book.

My plan is to give every Transpac competitor a binder. Each page will contain a dozen easy, multiple choice questions. I'll ask each sailor to fill out one page, right before the twice daily radio check-in.

The multiple choice questions will be something like:
How aggressive are you feeling right now?
What steps have you taken to improve your ranking?
How much time have you spent reading over the past 12 hours?
etc.

I will correlate the answers to the daily position reports, weather reports and written comments that are sent in.

My goal is not just to determine if racers are feeling competitive, but to arrive at real recommendations for how future racers can improve their results. What techniques did the most competitive racers use?

Of course this will be completely voluntary. I'll send a binder for each racer down to the start in San Fran and have them sent back to me as a group at the end of the race. With enough participation we might arrive at something really valuable to our sport.

Your comments are more than welcome. If any of you is a sports psychologist, I'd love to work on this in detail.

Andy

peter00
05-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Well that sounds very interesting. I've never thought of myself as being very competitve but as departure day approaches I find the competitive jackal within arising from its winter slumber. Yesterday I removed 4 (of 6) crowbars I keep on board as well as my large framing hammer to reduce wieght (that hurt). I tried to remove the drill press but....I just couldn't do it, imagining all the possible disasters it could help me with. I did pump out a ton and 3/4 of fresh water but whether I have the nerve to cross an ocean without the tanks pressed up remains to be seen (besides all this competition makes me sweaty and I wonder how all the other guys shower every day with only 6 quarts of water).
Oddly enough, in the dim recesses of time, I did train as a psychologist (now I have trouble spelling it) and I wonder if people like myself just might skew the results of study slightly.

ronnie simpson
05-24-2012, 12:41 PM
i think you mean Rob's ok...

brianb
05-25-2012, 08:36 PM
I've been given Ron's OK to do a detailed study on maintaining a competitive/winning attitude during the SH Transpac. Here is my idea:

There have been several studies done on how singlehanders deal with stress during long races. I have referenced all of these in my book. However, I have not been able to find anything at all on how to maintain a competitive/winning frame of mind during these races. Even the Artemus Institute in England has not properly studied this issue.

Andy

ROnnie, this sounds very enlightening. Maybe you could arrange the questions so that the first three could be answered on the SSB as the group listens, could be good entertainment.

Brian

Foolish
05-25-2012, 08:48 PM
An email has been sent out to each racer. I hope you will all respond and get involved with the study.
Andy