PDA

View Full Version : What is "Round the Rocks" race?

AugustS
05-27-2012, 09:53 AM
I am new and might bring my boat to SF for the month if I get it together. I want to do the Farallon’s race and the Moon race. Planed on the bay race Richmond north?? but what is the Round the Rocks Race?
Thanks

Philpott
05-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi, It's a new race this year. We don't have the Additional Sailing instructions for it yet, but here's the course:
start off Berkeley marina, round Alcatraz to Starboard, round Harding Rock to Starboard, round the Brothers to Starboard, then Red Rock to Port (just so you're not pulled accidentally into the Richmond Restricted Area), then back to finish south of the Berkeley Reef, in front of the Berkeley Marine Center's Boat Building. Approximately 23 miles, then we are invited to the Berkeley Yacht Club for food. The Berkeley harbormaster has indicated that she will help everyone find tie ups around the marina.

AugustS
05-28-2012, 08:33 PM
thank you, Sounds fun. WIll we be able to fly kites from the twins back to Red Rock?

Whoopass
08-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Pretty silly question, Auggie, as that area is very much subject to local winds. You might be seriously beat up by the time you get to the Bro's, or be seriously bored and sunburned. Usually, it's a beat or very close reach back to Berkeley until you get south of the Richmond Bridge. I would, however, rig for a starboard pole set, just in case.

The Can is in for this one, so cinch up your trusses, folks!