PDA

View Full Version : glass balls

haulback
03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Talking to a couple sailing buddies the other day and topic swung to collection of glass balls in northern pacific whilst enroute to/from Hawaii.

One of them reported picking up a nice 8 or 10 inch diameter one on trip TO hawaii a couple years ago..... So they are out there!!!!!!

Usually people only expect to see them on the trip home

May be a good idea for those who are so inclined to keep an eye out and carry a long-handled fish net on deck to be ready should you pass near to one during the race.

Jim/Haulback

Alchera
03-03-2008, 11:27 PM
May be a good idea for those who are so inclined to keep an eye out and carry a long-handled fish net on deck to be ready should you pass near to one during the race.
Jim/Haulback

... and you won't mind a bit if one of your competitors spends 30 min or an hour circling back and stopping to fish out a glass ball, eh? Or wasting time altering course to check out likely targets?

- Alchera

haulback
03-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Gee, now that thought had not occurred to me!! I only meant to suggest others may be able to find a meaningful and permanent souvenir of their crossing.

And with all the endless hours you, my friend, have spent searching for glass balls I would bet that should you ever see one, a few minutes would be a small sacrifice to make, indeed, for the chance of bagging one.

Jim/Haulback

BobJ
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
A few months ago I was moving my TransPac gear from storage in Benicia to storage in Alameda. I was putting some stuff in the back of the car when from the recesses of the storage space I heard a crash - the sound of glass breaking. Says I, "I don't have anything glass back there . . . "

And thus began my plans for another SHTP.

I'll be on the lookout.