PDA

View Full Version : Strobe Lights

Eric Thomas
03-06-2008, 12:12 PM
What do people like for the masthead strobe requirement with Xenon type bulb? Aquasignal? Pyramid Technology? I currently have an OGM masthead tricolor with stobe but that does not meet the Xenon bulb requirement, looking to add another strobe.

Eric

BobJ
03-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll probably go with a FireFly on a pigstick again. For a permanently-mounted strobe, people seem to like the Velleman - see the same topic on page 2 of this (SHTP 08) forum.

Libations Too
03-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Eric,

I used a Velleman HAA40W...recomended a few years back by another SSSer. I mounted it directly on top of my OGM using some stainless straps and a Seaboard spacer. This saved the cost of a separate mounting bracket and at the same time insured that the strobe would be visible from above. The strobe cost a little over $10, and seems to work OK. It is not as bright as some strobes, but the cost is right. You can buy this either as white or amber strobe...I chose white.

One problem that I see with the SSS requirement for a strobe (at least when I was building mine for the 2007 LongPac) is that the required strobe output is not specified in the requirement...so there appears to be a little uncertainty in the requirement regarding how powerful or bright the strobe needs to be. Nontheless, the Velleman has apparently been approved in the past (not sure when or for whom). And I know from personal experience that it is bright enough to get the CGs attention.

pfschmidt
03-27-2008, 01:14 PM
In the discussion on Strobe lights I am not sure why the requirement. Is the strobe light to use in an emergency to signal help or is it an indicator to show position/avoidance technique during night and sleep times.

I once was out on a race in So Cal near Santa Barbara Island and we spotted a fishing boat adrift with strobe light flashing all other lights out..navigation, cabin. The skipper thought they needed help and we contacted race committee and went to investigate. We found out No help required.

thanks for the clarification.

Pete

tiger beetle
03-27-2008, 04:49 PM
What do people like for the masthead strobe requirement with Xenon type bulb? Aquasignal? Pyramid Technology? I currently have an OGM masthead tricolor with stobe but that does not meet the Xenon bulb requirement, looking to add another strobe.

Eric
I have an Aquasignal anchor/tricolor/strobe at the masthead - it has worked perfectly for 12 years now.

If I were buying new today, I would install an LED tricolor/anchor light combined with an Aquasignal proper strobe (e.g., a xenon flashlamp, not a flashing LED light).

- rob

dogbark
03-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey Rob, how about a couple of led bulbs for the anchor light and tricolor portions of your (and my ) aqua signal light? Any downside? Al

jfoster
03-28-2008, 07:56 AM
I have an Aquasignal anchor/tricolor/strobe at the masthead - it has worked perfectly for 12 years now.

If I were buying new today, I would install an LED tricolor/anchor light combined with an Aquasignal proper strobe (e.g., a xenon flashlamp, not a flashing LED light).

- rob

There is a Sausalito CA based company that specializes in LED conversions of navigation lights call them at 1-415-286-4520.

Their web page is

http://www.solidstatemarine.com

John Hayward
03-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Al, I just installed the Dr. LED tricolor and anchor light LED's in my AquaSignal 40. VERY cool! The tricolor LED "bulb" actually has red/green/white LED's oriented the right directions and draws 0.16 amps. The anchor light "bulb" is all white LED's and draws 0.09 amps. My thinking is if you buy a $600 Lopolight and it goes out, you are stuck, but if the Dr. LED "bulbs" go out, I just go up the mast and reinstall the original incandescent bulbs. I also replaced all the light fixtures in the cabin with LED (Red Mars Dome from Dr. LED) and have small battery powered LED Puck Lights scattered throughout the cabin also.

I have a battery powered Xenon strobe I am going to mount on a piece of wood and haul up the spinnaker halyard at night, just like Synthia did in 06.

John H
Dream Chaser

haulback
03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
I also just swapped out old light bulbs (anchor and tri-colour) from masthead aqua-signal fixture and replaced with Dr. LED's . Time for spring greasing of all outside-mounted light bulb bases so figured I had may as well put in new bulbs at the same time.

What can I say??/ turn on the switch and 3 colours show in the correct sectors, so guess it is alright......certainly waaaay less power draw. Still have xenon-type strobe in fixture up there.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................

quote from above<<<<<<<I once was out on a race in So Cal near Santa Barbara Island and we spotted a fishing boat adrift with strobe light flashing all other lights out..navigation, cabin. The skipper thought they needed help and we contacted race committee and went to investigate. We found out No help required.>>>>>...

As most here know by now, 'strobes as nav lights' are a pet peeve of mine. Take a moment guys, to consider that this is what others think when they see your flashing stobes at night. Do you really want other mariners to think you are helpless??

Jim/Haulback

tiger beetle
03-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey Rob, how about a couple of led bulbs for the anchor light and tricolor portions of your (and my ) aqua signal light? Any downside? Al

Hi Al -

The only downside to using Dr. LED lights in the Aquasignal fixtures is the navigation lights no longer meet USCG requirements, as the bulb/fixture combination is no longer USCG certified; I assume the same would be true in Europe, and anywhere else. If you do not care about certification then it's a no-brainer to pop in the Dr. LED bulbs; if someone hit you at night and it was determined that your navigation lights did not meet standards, then you would be at fault.

The same is true for the Solid State Marine retrofits mentioned by John Foster.

There are a few LED light/fixture combinations that *are* USCG certified, such as the OGM, LOPO, and Aquasignal - but not as a retrofit for existing fixtures.

- rob

Alchera
03-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Chris on Carroll E reported in another thread the problems he had with his OGM tricolor led interferring with his VHF reception. Has anyone checked to see whether the Dr. LED lights might have a similar problem?

- Mark

dogbark
03-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I talked with the folks at Dr LED and they claimed that their Polar Star (Aqua Signal replacement) lights are USCG/ABYC approved. (Being ex-CG I find it hard to believe, but it is what they claimed) I also asked about VHF interference and they said no problem with their bulbs. This is just their report and no endorsement by me (at this time). Al

tiger beetle
03-28-2008, 08:41 PM
I talked with the folks at Dr LED and they claimed that their Polar Star (Aqua Signal replacement) lights are USCG/ABYC approved. (Being ex-CG I find it hard to believe, but it is what they claimed) I also asked about VHF interference and they said no problem with their bulbs. This is just their report and no endorsement by me (at this time). Al

That's good to know.

I talked with the folks at Dr. LED perhaps 5 months ago and they said they were working on USCG certification for their lamps in the Aquasignal Series 40 fixtures; based on their current web-based catalog they have been USG/IMO certified as an anchor light. No mention of any other certification. So perhaps they have got that far by now - good on Dr. LED for taking it that far!

I do not see any indication on their website that their lamps are certified for any other fixture/usage. I'll try giving them a call next week to see what they say these days... If they really have got the USCG certification then I can put their LED up in my anchor light - I already have the lamps, they work, but I don't like the fact that they did not have certification so I removed them from all of my fixtures. The lamps remain in my 'back up light' kit, as even non-certified is better than nothing.

- rob

tiger beetle
03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Chris on Carroll E reported in another thread the problems he had with his OGM tricolor led interferring with his VHF reception. Has anyone checked to see whether the Dr. LED lights might have a similar problem?

- Mark

None that I have been able to notice. The power supply on the circuit board Dr. LED uses must not operate at a frequency that interferes with VHF frequencies.

- rob/beetle

BobJ
05-10-2008, 08:57 AM
On the "2008 TransPac Monohull Checklist" (accessed from the SHTP page), I noticed that item 4.24 says "Strobe: Mounted at masthead. Xenon bulb"

Based on history/precedent I don't think this is a case of "regulation creep" but rather just the way it was typed on the checklist. As stated elsewhere, the Rules and Conditions take precedence and they do not state "mounted."

BUT just to clarify: As in 2006, Ragtime! will do as some others and will be making provision to hoist a xenon-bulbed strobe to the masthead on a pigstick. It will not be permanently "mounted."

As you can tell, I'm starting to bolt stuff back on the boat. The solar panels are almost done, as is the SSB. I have a ways to go though (mostly stuff not on "The List").

AlanH
05-12-2008, 02:54 AM
I hauled my hiney up to the masthead on saturday, and voila...one Velleman strobe light is now up there, and wired up to the old wiring for the incandescent bulb for the masthead fly..

Another item checked off the list.

OK, OK, I guess I better make sure it works, first.