PDA

View Full Version : Half Moon Bay Race

Now&Zen
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Are we really doing the HMB race in the middle of the AC World Series races in SF?:eek:

Critter
08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
That's the plan. Unfortunately, GGYC is planning a big shindig for Saturday and won't let us start from their deck, even though our boats would be out of the bay before the race area is closed off at noon. We're looking into alternatives for the start.

Now&Zen
08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Never a dull moment!

tiger beetle
08-07-2012, 02:12 PM
well, if they won't let us use the race deck, what if we set up on the rock wall in front of the club? or a committee boat set up to use the X-buoy as the port pin of the start line? - at least we won't be intruding on their race deck :)

Jan Brewer
08-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Great idea, Rob. I tried that one too. No go, the road is suppposedly closed so . . . I have put in a call to CYC and hopefully will hear back from them tomorrow. Anybody got any other ideas? Other than Max, that is. He and I have exhaustively emailed this not-so-dull-moment so . . .

BobJ
08-07-2012, 06:05 PM
How about starting off Horseshoe Cove? That might keep everyone out of the exclusion area and allow them to slip out the Gate on the north side.

I can't recall the name of the club over there but someone will know. Or Sausalito . . .

Philpott
08-07-2012, 08:01 PM
The Presidio Yacht Club?

BobJ
08-07-2012, 08:26 PM
That's it. Even if they just let the R/C stand out on their breakwater it could work. It's only a start - not an all-day thing. From their website:

"Sailing and boating organizations with reciprocal priviledges are encouraged to consider the Presidio Yacht Club as one of their cruising destinations. Contact Port Captain Steve Peters or the marina manager at (415) 332-2319 for more information and to schedule your event."

It looks like Steve Hocking races over there and he's done some of our races. You listening Steve?

Critter
08-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Sounds like our best bet. There's a rock 4 feet deep on the chart right in front of the breakwater, but it should have 8-9 ft of water over it during our starts.

The line could be defined by the dome of the Palace of Fine Arts ... please cross the line within 200 yds of the breakwater, but advised not to cross inshore of a line connecting Pt. Cavallo and Lime Pt.

BobJ
08-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Some of our racers might like something more precise - although this is the Half Moon Bay Race and has historically been pretty casual.

Maybe ask the club how they set the line for their races - for a donation they might even take care of it like CYC does.

Jonathan Gutoff
08-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Although it's only a 1.5 knot ebb at the start the current rips around Pt. Cavallo. I wouldn't want to be over early...

BobJ
08-08-2012, 04:25 PM
From RACER X:

The start could be off the Fort Mason pier - there are always fisherman there as you know and it is easy to get to. The Fort Mason buoy (on station as of last Saturday) would be the pin end. Don't know if AC activities would pull the Fort Mason buoy or not.

Critter
08-10-2012, 09:35 AM
We have Presidio YC's blessing, FWIW, to use their breakwater. They don't set marks; they use a line across the cove, and we have way too many boats to start in there.

Interesting idea from Rich. But I'm concerned that car traffic will make it impossible for the RC to get in and out if we're anywhere along the Cityfront. Keep those suggestions coming! We'll make a decision in the next few days.

Now&Zen
08-11-2012, 12:04 AM
I vote for Richmond YC. That way I can sleep in. But first I have to find out if my crew is willing to miss the AC World Series.......

Critter
08-16-2012, 09:11 AM
It's official, we're starting off Horseshoe Cove. Revised SIs will be posted shortly.

Also, you need to make your own dinner reservations with HMBYC. If you're entered, look for the information in your email.

Philpott
08-16-2012, 09:19 PM
New Starting Line for Half Moon Bay Race: A line between a red flag or shape on Pt Cavallo (east side of Horseshoe Bay), and the structure stop Anita Rock, San Francisco. Boats are requested to cross the line within 300 yards of the Marin shore. WARNING: There is a choal approximately 100 yards SW of Pt Cavallo; see Chart 18650.

BobJ
08-18-2012, 08:58 AM
This might be too late but I finally looked at the chart.

I'd consider Harding Rock buoy as the other end of the line. It'll be more of a reaching start but you probably won't be able to see Anita with the morning fog, and turning the line this way will discourage starters from messing with the shallow water off Pt. Cavallo.

Critter
08-23-2012, 03:35 PM
One more change to the SIs after last night's skippers meeting:

Put a waypoint in your GPS at 37deg49.8'N, 122deg28.2'W. That's the pin end of the start line, and it's about 400 yards off the race deck - er, race bush.

If you were planning to comply with the request in the previous SIs to cross the line close to Pt. Cavallo, there's no practical change for you. But if you noticed that starting halfway across to the SF shore would save you some distance, well we've closed that loophole.

This final revision (let's hope!) of the SIs will be posted shortly on the SSS front page and on Jibeset. It will be prominently dated 8/23/12. See you Saturday! MC

Wylieguy
08-23-2012, 11:11 PM
HMB Folks, I wonder how this is going to pan out? I'll put the outer end of the line coordinates in, but I don't know the land end coordinates, so i can't really "draw" a line. And I can't put Anita Rock's coordinates in (which I had entered prior to the last change) AND the new "pin end" coordinates AND the land end. My GPS doesn't seem to like to have 3 "points" on the screen at one time. How will the RC know a boat isn't outside the "end" of the line? Just ruminating.

Pat "NANCY"

Philpott
08-27-2012, 12:02 PM
At the start of HMB Steve Wilson on Westerly and I just yelled at each other: "Are we over? "Are we over?" "Jackie, I don't think we're over yet" "Hell! Are we over YET?" "I think we're over" I called the Race Deck, even though I knew that stickler in charge wouldn't give any help: "Are we over yet?" Finally, a voice from the cliff: "All Clear". That's how the SSS starts a race. With aplomb.

BobJ
08-27-2012, 03:40 PM
I could have sworn I heard Jimmy and Russell doing the same thing on live TV.

So did anyone hit the bricks? Anyone over early? My morbid curiosity had me wondering how that start went off.

Critter
08-27-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty sure nobody hit anything. And nobody was called over early, though I hear rumors that the RC was a bit lenient on that score.

I found it very difficult to judge where I wanted to be, so I was quite conservative. I sure hope we don't have to do anything like this next year! Unless, as Pat B. suggested, we can get Stan Honey to put a yellow line on the water.

pogen
08-27-2012, 04:25 PM
though I hear rumors that the RC was a bit lenient on that score.

We had fun handling the flags for the first time on the deck.

As to a repeat of the experience, I believe that the Vallejo 1-2 dates also conflict with the ACWS October races, though the start off Richmond should keep us out of harm's way. After all, nobody wants to be T-boned by the world's highest-paid sailor! :cool:

brianb
08-27-2012, 04:42 PM
We had fun handling the flags for the first time on the deck.

As to a repeat of the experience, I believe that the Vallejo 1-2 dates also conflict with the ACWS October races, though the start off Richmond should keep us out of harm's way. After all, nobody wants to be T-boned by the world's highest-paid sailor! :cool:

It would be awesome to have one of those boats plant a bow in my stern and I would relish the protest meeting as well. Just think of the fun you could have with the press.

How was the Pac Cup ?

Brian

pogen
08-28-2012, 05:18 PM
It would be awesome to have one of those boats plant a bow in my stern and I would relish the protest meeting as well. Just think of the fun you could have with the press.

How was the Pac Cup ?

Brian

Well we broke our A/P and pussed out on sailing home. Some great sailing though especially the last few days. We learned a lot, though we didn't place too well!