PDA

View Full Version : Are double lifelines required over 28' loa ?

greg - sirena
08-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Does my 32' (31'7" loa) originally rigged single have to have double lifelines all the way to the bow pulpit for SSS races out the gate ? Or can I add spectra around the stern pulpit and cockpit and comply ? If they need to be double, can I wrap the boat with spectra using constrictor knots on the stanchions until I rebuild the whole works ?

Regards, Greg

Critter
08-15-2012, 09:11 AM
You need the double lifelines all the way to the bow pulpit. A spectra intermediate line with constrictor knots around the stanchions sounds like a good solution.

If your pulpits do not have intermediate rails, I think we would accept a spectra line across those gaps as well.

If any current or former members of the SSS safety committee would like to opine, I'll defer to their opinion.
Max

greg - sirena
08-15-2012, 09:27 AM
You need the double lifelines all the way to the bow pulpit. A spectra intermediate line with constrictor knots around the stanchions sounds like a good solution.

If your pulpits do not have intermediate rails, I think we would accept a spectra line across those gaps as well.

If any current or former members of the SSS safety committee would like to opine, I'll defer to their opinion.
Max

Thanks Max,

That's what I figured. Standing by ..

JohnS
08-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Greg,

As Max said, you will need double lifelines all the way to your bow pulpit. The link in the SSS Standing Sailing Instructions to the ISAF is broken. You can find the regs at: http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2012Mo205012012-%5B11794%5D.pdf

Section 3.14.5 makes it clear that you do need the double lines. However, nothing in there says you can't use high modulus rope tied to the stanchions for the intermediates. If your boat was built before 1993 the ISAF regs state that no vertical opening can exceed 22 inches. So, get out your tape measure and see if you also need to run the line around the pulpits or just up to the pulpits.

greg - sirena
08-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Greg,

As Max said, you will need double lifelines all the way to your bow pulpit. The link in the SSS Standing Sailing Instructions to the ISAF is broken. You can find the regs at: http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2012Mo205012012-%5B11794%5D.pdf

Section 3.14.5 makes it clear that you do need the double lines. However, nothing in there says you can't use high modulus rope tied to the stanchions for the intermediates. If your boat was built before 1993 the ISAF regs state that no vertical opening can exceed 22 inches. So, get out your tape measure and see if you also need to run the line around the pulpits or just up to the pulpits.

Perfect,

I'll measure and rig accordingly unless I learn different.

Thanks John