PDA

View Full Version : Twin Headsails

BobJ
03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
These twins have "roots" in our race, having been aboard three different SHTP boats. I'd really like them to stay in the fleet.

Alan tells me they were originally built for an Olson 30 owned by Dan Benjamin. Alan had them on his Santana 30/30, then I used them on my J/92. The dimensions are Luff 36', Leeches 30', Feet 16', LP 13'. (These are maximums - each dimension may be an inch or two less.)

They are purpose-built twins (not cobbled together from something else), share a single #6 luff tape, and are made from 1.5 oz spinnaker cloth in a crosscut pattern. They are colorful enough to get you on the pages of Latitude 38 (worked for me) and other than some fading along the luff, the colors are bright. The cloth is in excellent shape and still crispy.

Most of us know the benefit of twins in the SHTP. Once you get in the trades and it's too windy to sleep with the kite up, you can douse the kite and unroll the twins, setting one whisker pole or two. The clews are high so when the boat rolls you won't bury the pole(s). When you awake as fresh as a spring daisy, you roll the twins back up (or drop them) and rehoist your kite.

You can have them for the same price I paid Alan, which is the same price he paid Dan: $400.

BobJ
06-01-2008, 08:35 PM
** Twins are sold **