PDA

View Full Version : A Bit of News

Ergo
10-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Greeetings,

Although I’ve been a lurker for the past couple of years, I’ve visited the forum several times every week. Last week, I was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer. The prognosis sucks – 6-12 months if the chemo works and less if it doesn’t. I’ve been in a bit of a quandary as to how to best let folks know about this, especially the folks I’ve sailed with in the SSS. I “know” some of you very well but I know you by your boats’ names and how you sail those boats– not very useful for contact purposes.

It’s important to me that you know what the opportunity to have sailed with you means to me. It’s important that I tell you how much richer it has made my life.
Some of the people who have learned about this have responded with great sadness. I understand and appreciate that but, while I am also profoundly sad that an expiration date has been stamped on my can, the date is way past what I could ever have imagined given some of the choices I’ve made. It’s important that anyone who is also sad about this knows that my sadness isn’t about dying: my sadness is about not living anymore.

Ergo is going on the market. She’s a great boat and she’s always taken great care of me. I’d sail her anywhere. In fact, she’d be my boat-of-choice over any other. Like many of the boats in our fleet, she just looks old and not very attractive except to people who sail or want to sail the way we do. I’m going to list her with John Saul at Bearmark Yachts and post that soon.
I’ve been getting ready, for the past four years, to sell her but thought I’d have more time to reconcile doing that. If not for this development, I’d probably spend the next four years still doing the math. It’s hard reconcile what she’s “worth” and what’s she’s worth to me. It’s really not about the money: it’s about the experience, which, to me is priceless.

So, a collective “Thank you” to all of you.

Bill Merrick

BobJ
10-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Wow Bill . . . I post a lot on here (too much) and was hoping someone else would take the lead responding, but I can't wait anymore.

You are a huge asset to the SSS - Commodore prior to Max, SHTP vet, and actively involved for a long time. IMO you are a "poster boy" for what the SSS is all about - a regular working guy with a regular boat who went out and did some extraordinary things with it, solo. When things didn't go well you weren't afraid to talk about it in stark, plain truth - which made it real for the newer guys like me. More than anyone else's, your encouragement was the reason I sailed back to SF from Hanalei in 2006. Some of that wasn't pleasant and I said I wouldn't do it again, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

You're one of my real-life sailing heroes because of those things. I wish you all the best in getting through this. I'm a man of faith and I fully expect to see you on the other side. In the meantime, let me (and all of us) know if there's something we can do for you.

Critter
10-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Bill,

It was a shock to read your post. You know we're all pulling for you.

You've been a role model for me as Commodore, with your good humor and laid-back approach to this peculiar sport of ours. It was great to catch up with you a little at the SHTP start in June. And I've always been pleased to see Ergo sitting patiently at the bottom of the ramp when I teach in Sausalito.

As Bob said, let me - or us - know if there's anything we can help you with. Hang in there!
Max

Phil MacFarlane
10-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Sucks buddy. We've had great times sailing together and sailing together alone. You are one of my few truly close friends. You know where to find me.

haulback
10-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Bill.

Thank you for letting us all know - not, certainly, that it is the sort of news we want to get from you - but do know that I will be rooting for you all the way

You may recall that I got to do the cancer thing a few years ago, in my case with with good results, but the shock that 'it' can pick you out of the crowd is, at first, a very sobering awareness.

I truly enjoyed sailing the SHTP with you and getting to know you...... I well recall the macrame of string you had for a forestay when you crossed the finish line. Most creative!!

Do know that my thoughts are with you through it all.

Bye for now......Jim/Haulback

Ergo
10-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Ok, this is interesting. I had very mixed feelings about announcing the “news” in so public a forum because of what I thought I might or might not hear. It’s like the TP: there’s the race you think you’re going to have and then there’s the race you actually have. In both cases, it’s probably best not to speculate.
I was and am horrified by the thought that anyone would feel sorry for me. I love the life I’m living. I love the life I’ve lived, even the parts that really, really sucked. I want to control how people react. I want them to say or not say the things I want to hear. And , really, where’s the fun in that? Would sailing to Hanalei be fun if we knew exactly what was going to happen? Not so much.
When I hear someone getting into the “man against the sea” riff I pretty much tune out. I’ve been encouraged to fight this cancer. I will, but I think it’s a bit like dealing with a coastal gale. Sail the boat, work till you vomit and when things get really interesting, go below, read a book and see what happens next.
So, since there have been offers, I do need some help. I’m not likely to make it back to the Bay Area (we moved to Mississippi in July) to get Ergo ready to sell. Even if she were Bristol, she’d never start a bidding war. I hate to ask, but could some of you clean her up so that Sara doesn’t have to deal with that later?
There’s a pressure washer in the dock box that anyone is welcome to take after you’re done.
Thanks

sleddog
10-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Hi Bill,

Good to hear from you. I remember your "inspection" of WILDFLOWER. SSS is my "yacht club" because of the support of friends as we weather the gales. No shyness here.

Standing by to help detail ERGO. I need her location. ~skip allan fiveonezerothreeeightfourfouronefivenine

Jonathan Gutoff
10-28-2012, 09:35 PM
I can help with an Ergo cleanup also. jsgutoff@hotmail.com

Eyrie
10-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Hey Bill,

I'm ready to give your sails the once over and make whatever repairs are necessary. Let me know when the work party is scheduled so that I can get some help removing the sails.

synpetroka at gmail dot com

Synthia

AlanH
10-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Well, this sucks. I mean, we all wind up here sooner or later...sometimes it comes quickly, sometimes it doesn't but it still sucks.

I remember snapping a picture of Ergo crossing the line in the SHTP.

Yeah, let me know when the cleanup party is scheduled for. I absolutely will do my best to make it. I wish I could buy her.

Sparky
10-30-2012, 08:07 AM
I am available for work party/get together when it gets scheduled. I couldn't help it, but I had to call Bill after reading the news, and he is in great spirits and as positive as can be considering the circumstances. It's really great knowing the support he has in Mississippi is as strong as that in San Francisco. Looking forward to giving ERGO a clean up as well as seeing friends.

Ergo
10-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Thank you all so much. Wow, Synthia, that's an amazing offer. Alan, are you sure you can't buy her?

OK. The boat is being cleaned by a detailer guy. The broker, John Saul, at BearMark Yachts set that up. He needed to get her ready for photos, etc. so that should be done, maybe as I type.

There are still some odds and ends and it would be great if one of you would volunteer to be Skipper of this motley crew.

Things to do:

1. The windvane and Aux. fuel tank are at our house (which is literally a stone's throw from ERGO). They need to get to the boat.

2. There are a bunch of things (jack lines, boom brake, etc.) on the boat that need to be gathered up and taken to Blue Pelican for sale.

3. I rebuilt the commode about four years ago but have never used it. I'm a bucket guy and I made the mistake of letting a guy crew who just had to have a working shitter. Most folks would probably be on his side of that argument, so having a working head could make her easier to sell.

4. There are participant plaques from '04 and '06 on a bulkhead below. I don't think the new owner deserves to have those. Unless, of course, the new owner is Alan or someone like him.

5. Clean out the amazing amount of stuff that accumulates below.

6. Check the engine zinks and liquid in the batteries.

That's pretty much it. Who want's to be skipper?

Bill Merrick

Critter
10-30-2012, 09:46 AM
I can get there Sunday about 1 after the board transition meeting, or possibly Saturday. Still at the bottom of the ramp behind Club Nautique?

BobJ
10-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I could be there some part of next weekend as well, if I'm not out on I-5 in a U-Haul, bringing my Mom's stuff up here. She has her DMV test on Thursday - then I'll know.

It would be good if one of you over Marin-way could coordinate this with Bill and the Harbormaster.

AlanH
10-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Don't I wish. Ergo is way more boat than I can afford, I'm afraid....

OK, I can be there Sunday (Nov. 4th) about 1:00 - 3:00, maybe 3:30 as well. If Synthia can't make it Sunday afternoon, we could load the sails in my truck and I'll get them to her house next week, sometime. I'll have to leave by 3:30 at the latest to make a dinner with Joans cousin, who is in town from Montana.

I don't actually know exactly where Ergo is berthed, so I'll need some specific directions.

Another option for me would be Saturday Nov. 10th, I *think* pretty much all day is available. I nominate Max as skipper. I'll be the navigator, though. :lol:

Bill, if you pass along a mailing address, I can mail the SHTP participation plaques to you, or if you want, can leave them at the house.

Eyrie
10-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I can make this Sunday at 1300.

*** Remember, Daylight Saving Time Ends that morning *****

Ergo
10-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Thank you. Here's the plan. Sunday at about 1:00 pm-ish.
Ergo is first boat at bottom of ramp (slip B-1) at Kappas Marina in Sausalito.
Find Synthia. She has the plan.
Should take about 2 hours but since it's a boat it WILL take four days and cost each of you several thousand dollars.

Please let this post live on the home screen for about a day.

Bill Merrick

AlanH
10-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Now that I think about it, I've been to Ergo's slip before. It was just a long time ago.

Does anybody in the crew know where Bills' house is?

Ergo
10-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Yes. When you get to Ergo, climb up the mast, look WSW, my house is the yellow and white one about 650 feet in that direction. If you have any environmental awareness, at all, you'd never drive between the two. Since you'll be hauling a windvane and aux. fuel tank back to the boat defonotely drive.

Bill

AlanH
11-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Yes. When you get to Ergo, climb up the mast, look WSW, my house is the yellow and white one about 650 feet in that direction. If you have any environmental awareness, at all, you'd never drive between the two. Since you'll be hauling a windvane and aux. fuel tank back to the boat defonotely drive.

Bill

I think I can figure that out!

OK, and someone has a way to get inside so we can schlepp stuff hither, thither and yon?

Just saw the ad on Craigslist.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/3378636000.html

Ergo
11-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Yes, oh wise one. After descending the mast, proceed to houseboat at 10 E Pier and call the series of magic numbers that will be shared with you by the raven haired, etherial creature swaddled in sail cloth. The magic numbers will work on any celestial devive with free nation-wide calling. The information you need will then be revealed.

Ergo

Critter
11-02-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm in for Sunday. Hey Bill, would you like us to try to install the vane and aux. tank? Or just get them on board?
Max

Ergo
11-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Max. Yes and yes. The vane takes two nuts and two bolts which are attached to the vane. The Aux. tank takes two straps, that are on the boat.

To all concerned: This is a huge help and very much appreciated.

Bill Merrrick

Philpott
11-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I'll come take photos and supervise the workers.

AlanH
11-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Yes, oh wise one. After descending the mast, proceed to houseboat at 10 E Pier and call the series of magic numbers that will be shared with you by the raven haired, etherial creature swaddled in sail cloth. The magic numbers will work on any celestial devive with free nation-wide calling. The information you need will then be revealed.

Ergo

This sounds like fun!

Ergo
11-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Even more fun than I would have imagined. One suggestion. The photos are a super idea. I wish I had more of them but if Philpott is going to do that AND supervice then someone needs to take video for YouTube. "Supervising" this gaggle is worth documenting. I know from my turn "in the barrel" as COMMODORE.

I'm going to e-mail Synthia later today with a list of things boat, things Blue Pekican and things up for grabs.

bILL

Eyrie
11-03-2012, 09:35 AM
I'll come take photos and supervise the workers.

I wasn't sure what you meant so I looked this up in the SSS handbook

su·per·vise**
/ˈso͞opərˌvīz/
Verb
Observe and direct the execution of (a task, project, or activity).
Observe and direct the work of (someone), and supply donuts.

Wow, I never understood the full extent of the definition.

sYnThIa

Philpott
11-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Ah yes, the oft-quoted, not yet published SSS handbook. The sailor's etch a sketch. Donuts are yummy, but cleaning sails - now that's a real contribution

Ergo
11-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Damn, I miss being COMMODORE - never thought I'd actually say that. There was a handbook?

Synthia has the list. Thank you all so much. I never liked asking for help and it's a very humbling (in a good way) experience, like sailing.

Bill Merrick

sleddog
11-04-2012, 10:44 PM
The gang assembled at ERGO at 1 pm. Tie-dyed shirts seemed to be the dress theme.

BobJ and AlanH retrieved the windvane and spare fuel tank. Syn and crew hoisted sails, and made repairs to the main. Headsails and bumblebee colored spinnys evaluated, labeled as to condition and folded. Jacki appeared with do-nuts while Phil attended to the engine and zincs and Max, AlanH, Ruben and BobJ mounted the windvane and helped unload the boat. Plaques were removed from the bulkhead.

Lockers and drawers were emptied and gear piled and sorted on the dock. Some gear, including anchor, solar panels, and drogue, are going to Blue Pelican with Ruben. Syn took two sails home for repair. The folded sails, life raft, sheets, windvane, spare fuel tank, compass, emergency steering, spare prop, and engine spares were returned aboard ERGO. Skip will see the SSB/ham radios, tuner, and antenna go to a good home. The rest of the equipment was sorted and dispersed.

It was fine, warm weather for a work party. Among the gang of 10 were eight SHTP vets. In attendance: Max, Phil, Bob J, SSS Commodore Jim Quanci, Jacki, Ruben, Alan H, Frank Anzak, Synbad, Skip.

Ergo
11-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Greetings:
I’m so touched. I really wanted to be there. Not for the work, certainly, but just to be there with that many great sailors and people. I know we “compete” but very few opportunities exist for being part of anything that is so purely competitive. The ancient Greeks were the first to organize competitions. They celebrated individual achievement but they organized it to motivate improvements in running, throwing, wrestling – survival skills, at that time, not just sport.

One of the things that most impressed me about my first SHTP was meeting “under the tree” every day and talking about the race. I remember talking about everything except “who won”. I didn’t know until the awards dinner who had won. I was particularly happy that it was Phil, but would have been happy for whoever had.
I used to write poetry back in the day and knew John Haag, a Major/minor poet of my generation. He served in the merchant Marine during WW2. I haven’t written any poetry in a long time but John popped this out in his book “Stones Don’t Float”. It comes close to how I feel about all this.

Sea Song

The breast of the sea
swells in the fresh
breeze:
on the sand
the sea leaves
love marks:
in love
change must be constant.

On the bay, bulls heel,
rail awash, wind
ripening the sails: so
blood floods and fills.

In the water, sand
and wind, the sail
and swelling blood,
I feel you flow
and bend--
flesh and spirit held
in the same arching move:
the tongue of love.

AlanH
11-05-2012, 04:23 PM
The gang assembled at ERGO at 1 pm. Tie-dyed shirts seemed to be the dress theme.

BobJ and AlanH retrieved the windvane and spare fuel tank. Syn and crew hoisted sails, and made repairs to the main. Headsails and bumblebee colored spinnys evaluated, labeled as to condition and folded. Jacki appeared with do-nuts while Phil attended to the engine and zincs and Max, AlanH, Ruben and BobJ mounted the windvane and helped unload the boat. Plaques were removed from the bulkhead.

Lockers and drawers were emptied and gear piled and sorted on the dock. Some gear, including anchor, solar panels, and drogue, are going to Blue Pelican with Ruben. Syn took two sails home for repair. The folded sails, life raft, sheets, windvane, spare fuel tank, compass, emergency steering, spare prop, and engine spares were returned aboard ERGO. Skip will see the SSB/ham radios, tuner, and antenna go to a good home. The rest of the equipment was sorted and dispersed.

It was fine, warm weather for a work party. Among the gang of 10 were eight SHTP vets. In attendance: Max, Phil, Bob J, SSS Commodore Jim Quanci, Jacki, Ruben, Alan H, Frank Anzak, Synbad, Skip.

Synthia says that tie-die is the new black. Honest!

AlanH
11-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Bill, I like that. Actually, I like that a lot. Once upon a time, when I had an International H Boat, I did my very first solo spinnaker run, from somewhere in the general vicinity of Blackaller to almost under the Bay Bridge. I wrote a poem about that.
I wish I could find it, now.

Sparky
11-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Sunday outing on ERGO was lot's of fun with good company.

Bill, enjoy the video of us messing about on your boat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS_RJS8tt3g

Ergo
11-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Greetings,

Who knew that Ergo was actually the "Love Boat"? She's such a surprising old girl. Sparky, thank you so much.

COMMODORE Jim Quancy called me last night. I'd asked him to send me a copy of the video he'd shot when I was part of his delivery crew for getting his Cal 40, Green Buffalo, home after the '11 PacCup. It was the first and only time I've been off shore on a crewed boat. It was a great trip, on a great boat with a great skipper. Jim is the best and most generous skipper it's been my privledge to know and sail with. He actually won all the Farallons races, SH, DH and crewed in one season. Jim also takes along just about anyone who wants to go - kids, first timers and other skippers. Sometimes looking around Green Buffalo, motoring over to a starting area, it felt more like a boat going out for a day sail, than one of the boats the other skippers knew they had to keep an eye on or it would eat their lunch. The SSS is in another set of great hands.

I told Jim to carry a very personal message for me to anyone who might feel sorry for me because of what is happening. Jim's a real gentleman of the old school. I hope he doesn't have to repeat the message very often because Jim isn't prone to using vulgarity nor succuming to emotional outbursts. I, on the other hand, have come to value the proper use of profanity as an art form. If necessary, I'm confident that Jim will honor my request. So, please spare him the pain of needing to follow through. I understand sadness. I understand anger. I'm feeling plenty of both. They're very honest emotions. Sympathy, not so much. Just my opinion.

Stay close, my friends. Stay close.

Bill Merrick

Phil MacFarlane
11-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Nice poem Bill.

Nice video Sparky. I like the last shot the very best.

Coyote
11-07-2012, 08:42 PM
We sure will, my friend

Ergo
11-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Greetings,

I wanted to personally call/e-mail the "crew" who really, really helped Sara and I with a very nasty job but I can't find my trusty phone book that has all the numbers. And since Phil liked the poem. Here's another that I wrote last week.

When It Comes

When it comes, let it be as an old friend.
Tapping me on the shoulder
In an unexpected place, at an unexpected moment.

When it comes, let it be gentle and patient.
Or, mad with joy
Grabbing me up and pulling me into the dance.
Drums and horns
Shouts and stomping feet and reckless abandon.

When it comes, let me be with Sara
My warmth and my refuge
My window into eternity

Thank you, all

Ergo

Coyote
11-09-2012, 04:54 PM
When It Comes

Or, mad with joy
Drums and horns

My warmth and my refuge
My window into eternity

Thank you, all

Ergo

Wow, that is beautiful, thank you for sharing

AlanH
11-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Greetings,

I wanted to personally call/e-mail the "crew" who really, really helped Sara and I with a very nasty job but I can't find my trusty phone book that has all the numbers. And since Phil liked the poem. Here's another that I wrote last week.

When It Comes

Or, mad with joy
Drums and horns

My warmth and my refuge
My window into eternity

Thank you, all

Ergo

I like your attitude....a lot. I hope I have the cojones to be the same.

I've got a small box of stuff for you, will be mailing it this weekend.

K38Bob
04-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Fair winds Bill, http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/clarionledger/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=164279638#fbLoggedOut

pogen
04-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Although I did not know Bill personally, I knew the role he played in SSS and am very sad to hear of his passing.

Maybe one or two people could say a few words on Wednesday.

Jonathan Gutoff
04-23-2013, 10:14 PM
A great sailor and the embodiment of the SSS spirit.

BobJ
04-23-2013, 10:32 PM
When Bill was Commodore he usually ended each meeting with the question "Is there anything else for the good of the order?" While the phrase was probably borrowed from his past service in a fraternal organization, I believe Bill was indeed most concerned for "the good of the order."

He was a good leader, a good sailor and a good friend, and he will be missed.

sleddog
04-24-2013, 06:14 AM
Bill embodied what is good about SSS and the essence of its members: Tough. Sensitive. A caring member of our extended family. Bill defined the expression "Comrade-In-Arms."
Good sailing, my friend.

We were cutter-rigged and rakish,
With long and lissome hulls,
And we flew the pretty colors of asymmetricals.
With staysails pulling mighty in the fore,
We sailed the Single Handed Transpac in alternate years of yore.

With a boom preventer amidships, like a well-conducted ship,
We'd each a brace of feather jigs and a tether at the hip;
It's a point which tells against us, and a fact to be deplored,
But we chased the golden mahi, and laid their fins aboard.

And flying fish filled the scuppers and squid dried beneath the pole,
And the varnish was all splattered with scales on the sole.
But we soon were washed and rinsed, as the squalls marched slowly by.
And tradewinds blew us foaming westward under popcorn in the sky.

O! Then it was while lying beneath the myriad night time stars,
We could hear the dolphins squeaking as they swam in from afar.
Then having trimmed the boat asleep, with little else to do,
We danced a quiet hornpipe as the old salts taught us to.

O! The slack key on the stereo and our slapping naked soles,
We danced a little jig and curtsied as she rolled!
Ah! the thirsty solo sailors and the radio pranks we played,
Would be told beneath the Tree at the ending of the day.

With the silver seas around us and the full moon overhead,
And the look-out gazing westward as his cigar was glowing red.
The cutters and their merry crews will be anchored not far away,
A little south of sunset in the Bay of Hanalei.

~sleddog _______/)___/)_____

AlanH
04-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm just really sad to hear of this, even though we all knew it was coming. It's making me think.

Eyrie
04-24-2013, 12:34 PM
When I'd heard that Bill was planning on coming out to race the Vallejo opener on Green Buffalo, I was so optimistic that the treatments he was getting were doing the trick.

I'm so honored that I was able to help with some of the loose ends that made the inevitable a bit easier on Sara. Ergo is in a new happy home and back playing on the race course again.

Fair winds Bill.

PS. some photos that I found of Bill from the 2006 SHTP

Travieso
04-28-2013, 11:11 PM
It is sad. I got to know Bill and his family as we were both Transpac rookies in 2004. Fair winds my friend.

Travieso
04-29-2013, 12:26 PM
I plan to fly the burgee in my avatar during the Vallejo Race. We had talked in the past about gathering with Bill during this Vallejo race, so instead I will remember and celebrate his life this way. Some rum will be had as well.

solosailor
05-02-2013, 12:03 PM
I just caught this. Bill was an honest competitor, a friend, a staunch defender of the spirit of the SSS, a mentor to many..... sad days.

solosailor
05-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Go Ergo !

Matt
05-03-2013, 04:50 PM
What a great picture Greg. Thanks for that. If I could have my wife express in a painting all that is shown in that picture, it would be a great work of art.

I have had some difficulty lately with how best to fulfill one of Bill's request's, not to mention just some difficulty lately.

Bill asked me a while back to scour through the forum and SSS web pages for relevant and useful information from previous Singlehanded TransPac forum posts to post in an SSS library. This is still a work in progress. But I did do this recently. I entered "Merrick" in that search box you see in the upper right corner of the screen. Then, I copied and pasted all of Bill's useful and wise posts into one file. It's very amusing, informative, heart wrenching but I think you all might like to read it. Bill's SSS Forum Posts (https://docs.google.com/document/d/19RjoZwLQUXgAAsooBtBKA8LWMy1ceaCJ7pTgBVtwf_I/edit?usp=sharing) This file is also a work in progress like a lot of things and I hope to add more to it from the TransPac Logs, links to pictures... Anyone that would like to contribute content can send me a message or email.

Matt

ChrisH
05-13-2013, 11:16 AM
I was just re-reading my log from the 2006 Transpac over the weekend. In it were several anecdotes from Bill who I checked in with at noon each day on the SSB while we were floating around on glass seas the first week plus. One afternoon he checked in with a chuckle in his voice. He had just extricated himself from inside his lazarette which had closed and latched shut while he was inside fixing a steering issue. He was good humored about it to say the least. I had the heebie jeebies for the rest of the day!

Here's a link to some video of Ergo passing me on our way back to the barn during the 2009 Longpac. He declined my offer of a hot dog if he slowed down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyh_jWWkZkI

Fair winds Bill!

Chris
s/v Carroll E