PDA

View Full Version : water bladders

blighbaum
03-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Does anyone have any experience with water bladders for the SHTP? I have a full keel boat with very little interior space and no fixed water system. The wedge-shaped space in the deep bilge under the cockpit and engine seems like an ideal place for a water bladder, since the space is well below the water line and not good for anything else. The alternative is to find places around the cabin to squirrel away and tie down 21 one-gallon plastic jugs of water. Some folks have told me that water bladders are no good, but I'm not sure why.

If a water bladder is a good idea for my boat, where would I get one? Do they need to be specially made for the boat?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

BobJ
03-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Tom,

They don't need to be custom made for your boat. This outfit (http://www.marisafe.com/Store/viewItem.asp?ID=453010057&CID=45300000&FLT=453010057) has some good Plastimo bladders at a decent price. In fact, they usually have some for sale on E-Bay.

I almost went this route but couldn't satisfy myself that the area under the bunks (where I would have put them) was smooth enough to insure they wouldn't get punctured. I went with three five-gallon water jugs (four this year). I also took two one-gallon jugs (initially frozen to keep my first 4-5 days' entrees cool). It was easier to refill the one-gallon jugs when I had an opportunity, than to always draw water from the big five-gallon jugs that were lashed down. I also had a flat of small water bottles to keep in the cockpit, etc.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Warriors Wish
03-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Tom I have a new Plastimo Bladder that I will send you to try. I have decided not to use it. Give me a call if you are interested.....Don

800 449 4729

blighbaum
03-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks, guys! Don, I will call you. Bob J, I saw the great picture of you and Ragtime! taken in mid-ocean by a containership; how close was that ship to you?

Regards, Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

BobJ
03-12-2008, 02:47 PM
They came within 1/4 mile as they passed.

We started talking to each other at eight miles (it was the Matsonia). The Comm officer was curious about why I showed up so well on their radar (cheapo Davis reflector), what electronics gear I was using, etc. Then the Captain came on the VHF and said he'd crewed on some TransPac boats and we had a nice chat.

He said if I was comfortable with it they would come in close for some photos - a couple days later they e-mailed them to my wife. I took some video of them going by but you'd have to sit through 3-4 hours of boring video to see it.

gagould
03-13-2008, 06:36 AM
I have used a Plastimo water bladder for about 12 years and have never had a problem. Although, I have inspected it several times and found some wear spots which I patched. Of course the trick is to make sure it is not laying on sharp spots. I had some and covered them with duck tape. I used mine only for drinking water; filling it with bottle water.

Gary