PDA

View Full Version : Racing in the SSS with other PHRF 198+ ratings.

Black Jack
11-14-2012, 12:13 PM
I am a long time lerker here, made a few events as the second hand and even sailed the TBF against my better judgement. I do read the numerous posts and gleen on how to do things better, faster and safer. Hopefully I am not out of line by praising, bringing relevance and extended purpose to our older, slower sailing vessels.

although it is arguable, really the YRA has no place for my solo girl with a rating of 234. I know there are many others in our position as well as others who think otherwise. To sail with the SSS, I have to pay governing organization who does not host viable event for my boat. I am slightly annoyed at paying them to sail with you all but that's how it works. I believe YRA has lost the overall point in an attempt to accommodate more sporting abet newer boats. Not to water down the speedy SSS fleet, but bringing older heavier displacment boats in the SSS fleet really does something more significant. It increases boat numbers out there, gives folks a chance to learn the sailing skills and promotes the virtues of sailing short handed. and that ain't a bad thing at all.

On a personal note, I did sideline my old Nichols full keel sloop from the SSS the last two years . Black Jack is last remaining buccaneer class boat which hobbles along under my challenging financial resources, rising haul fees, and the yearly dodge the wood chipper celebration. The only race we seem to make each year is the Master Mariners Regatta - more party than a race The boat does have a nice niche with a cabin of 5-11", has a compact cockpit and fits in a 28 foot slip. I have begun to rerig the boat for singlehanded sailing and begun to even practice flying the spin so I have more choices in light air. I would have to do a larger refit to do more than bay races. Black Jack is no prom queen and I am no star quarterback - yet we do have fun.

I am sure there are others like me who enjoy single handing thier heavier, older boats. I hope to learn more about singlehnded racing with other skippers this upcoming year. This season I'll try to do more the inshore SSS races that are possible. Win or lose or DNF, we learn more about our boats in a single day of racing than three months of Sundays sailings.

AlanH
11-14-2012, 02:00 PM
I remember seeing a Buccaneer hauled out at Pete's Harbor, maybe 15....OK, maybe it was even 20+ years ago. -- Full keel, hard-chine plywood boat with 'glass over it. It was a cool looking boat, it caught my eye at the time.

BobJ
11-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Years ago we berthed a boat near "Jolly Roger" (hull #8?) at the Alameda Marina. Great-looking boats!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but you don't need to join YRA to do SSS races. You do need to pay YRA for the annual PHRF certficate.

pogen
11-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Wow, hard to believe you owe the Cal20 39 sec/nm. I hear your frustration, good on ya for hanging in.

Black Jack
11-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Years ago we berthed a boat near "Jolly Roger" (hull #8?) at the Alameda Marina. Great-looking boats!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but you don't need to join YRA to do SSS races. You do need to pay YRA for the annual PHRF certficate.

Nice to know there is a place here for us. I will pay the YRA for the certificate. Look for me in the TBF for sure, willing to be a regular on the circuit dispite giving 39 seconds a mile to that wizard on cal 20.

As for my I renamed her after I got her 7 years ago. her name had been changed when i picked her up. I do beleive she is hull #8 making her the Jolly Rodger. I named her Black Jack after my son. In a few short years, my boy Jack will be with me once his mom thinks she is ready. :)

BobJ
11-15-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm sure you need no further motivation, but here's a photo from the 2011 3BF:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/BobsailsSF/67427669098015310805.jpg

Black Jack
11-15-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm sure you need no further motivation, but here's a photo from the 2011 3BF:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/BobsailsSF/67427669098015310805.jpg

Now that is a lucky boy. He will only know it when he is older. As far as he is concerned, his dad can do anything.

ronnie simpson
11-16-2012, 06:50 PM
A lucky boy indeed. That is a rad photo, Bob.

Black Jack, I hear your frustration about paying the fee to YRA. My broke ass was bummed when I had to fork over a few bucks to them as well. But join the YRA, do a few races and then realize how great the racing scene here in SF Bay is. YRA and other bodies like the SSS are a big part of that, so supporting the sport and it's infrastructure is a worthy investment. TBF is a super fun race, no matter what the boat. Do it and you'll get hooked for the whole season.

No boat is too slow to race! TBF

Black Jack
01-29-2013, 12:10 PM
You folks were right... PHRF ratings don't matter much. The amount of fun is measured in completing the course in good order, with a friendly disposition and without too much drama.

I am hooked now!

MCarnall
04-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Black Jack,
I've raced my Westsail 32 (PHRF 225) in SSS for the last 10 years. Racked up a few "not lasts" and have had a lot of fun. Welcome!