PDA

View Full Version : Needed: 12' spinnaker pole

Philpott
11-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Dura Mater wants to keep up with the fleet. Does anyone have a spinnaker pole to sell Jackie?

Philpott
11-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Okay, I think Bob has a spinnaker pole for me. Now, how about a spinnaker?

Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com

kotyara
11-17-2012, 08:29 PM
If you give a mouse a cookie... :-)

Philpott
11-18-2012, 09:12 PM
And next, a windvane, please. The fella selling the Fleming on Craigslist says it's for a bigger, heavier boat than mine. And don't be hesitant to talk money, either. I'm not looking for a gift. Or a cookie or even a glass of milk. Jacqueline.philpott@gmail.com

winefood
01-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Hi Jaqeline,
Can you use a 13' Forespar spinnaker pole?? You mentioned you also need a spinnaker. I have spinnaker in very good condition that came off of a Choate 40. I think the luff is 52', but can measure if interested.

Larry

brianb
01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
You mentioned you were open to any offer. I have a 11.9' pole, black, aluminum, it is yours for the taking. It is located at 27.43029,-154.185791 . It was accidentally left behind in a broach.

Philpott
01-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Thank you, Brian. That's quite an offer. I'm assuming you attached a flotation device so the pole is waiting for me when I get to 27.43029, 154.185791. Did you activate your MOB as you lost it? Singlehanders exhibit such grace under pressure. Next you will want to borrow mine. Sigh. Well, okay, but you'll have to come get it.

Philpott
01-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Holy cow, Larry! That is a big spinnaker for my 27' boat. Thank you for the offer, though. Bob Johnston sold me his spinnaker pole. It is apparently a particularly good one and I've gotten compliments on it as it sits on my bow in the boat yard.

ronnie simpson
01-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Jackie I bought a Santa cruz 27 kite in seattle for my cal. It fits well.

Checking with SC 27 owners might score you a cheap kite.

Philpott
01-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks, Ronnie. Mike Farrell of Yellow Jacket is a friend, but he buys $50 sails, has them adjusted, and never sells anything. That gives me another option for size, though. I'm pretty clueless about spinnakers (never having flown one). Should a beginner get a smaller one or is it determined solely by the boat's size?

winefood
01-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks, Ronnie. Mike Farrell of Yellow Jacket is a friend, but he buys $50 sails, has them adjusted, and never sells anything. That gives me another option for size, though. I'm pretty clueless about spinnakers (never having flown one). Should a beginner get a smaller one or is it determined solely by the boat's size?

Wrong, Mike did sell me an old spinnaker a few years ago. It is a little narrow in the shoulders for a Hawkfarm, but that's probably why I've not crashed when flying it. He said it was old, when I looked at the head more closely, I read "measured 1967". However, it managed survive 32 kts in the last Delta Ditch, so I can recommend his old cast offs.

If anyone needs a 13' pole, Symetrical Spinnaker with 52' luff, and/or North Sock for same, send me a PM.

Critter
01-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Should a beginner get a smaller one or is it determined solely by the boat's size?
Hi Jackie. First calculate your maximum non-penalty spinnaker dimensions from the formulas in the PHRF guidelines.

I think it makes sense to go a little smaller to start. But if you can, look for a smaller foot (or maximum girth, usually the same as the foot) rather than a smaller luff. The reason is: you're going to hoist the spinnaker all the way up, and if you have a short luff the center of effort is way up high. Also it may be hard to set the pole high enough. A skinny but full-height spinnaker will be easier to handle. (Or so I read, somewhere sometime. Makes sense to me.)

My favorite websites to look for used sails are Masthead in Florida and Minney's in SoCal.

ronnie simpson
01-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Drew Harper at Spinnaker Sailing at Pier 40 has owned probably half a dozen SC 27's over the years. I'll bet if you called him or Garrett and inquired about SC 27 kites, they would probably sell you one. I am going to hit him up for a couple of headsails.

SC 27 rig is a couple feet shorter as the boat weighs less than half as much, but the luff of the kite is fine. A good resource is sailboatdata.com. That site has rig dimensions for pretty much every boat out there. You can look up your rig dimensions and then cross-reference with other designs and figure out which popular one-design boats have similarly sized sails and you can scavenge used sails from them.

Philpott
01-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Thank you, Ronnie. Sounds like an excellent resource. I'll call him tomorrow.