PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area Marinas

jbarthelmass
03-13-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm beginning to look for a safe marina to keep my boat in the water from approx 1 June until relocating for the start. Is there any particular marina or area where non-local SHTP boats have congregated in the past? Any suggestions?

sleddog
03-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm beginning to look for a safe marina to keep my boat in the water from approx 1 June until relocating for the start. Is there any particular marina or area where non-local SHTP boats have congregated in the past? Any suggestions?

Marina Village in Alameda is a good place, and supportive of racers prepping for Hawaii. Supermarket and Svendsen's chandlery nearby. www.marinavillageharbor.com or 510-521-0905

tiger beetle
03-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Your might also check out two other marinas that are on the Oakland Estuary, in the same area as Marina Village: Grand Marina, Alameda Marina.

Marina Village and Grand are both relatively new with concrete docks, lighting, etc. Marina Village is huge, Grand is smaller. Marina village is closest to the large supermarket and restaurants - an easy walk up from the dock.

Alameda Marina is directly in front of Svendsen's and is much older, wood docks, not nearly as nice, but is located directly in front of Svendsen's Boatworks - so you can walk up and obtain just about any service you need. The first two marinas will be more secure.

- rob/beetle

cr1
03-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey John,

Just a note to let you know that Jim from Haulback is probably going to stay at Marina Village in Alameda and I think I will too. I'll forward his message to you. Also since he called me Swab and my favorite movie is Captain Ron, that seals the deal.

Rich
Horizon

haulback
03-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Would be fun if we could all end up close together, should a number of us stay up at marina village.

I'm always looking for a few new racing pointers, and may need help, besides, with some varnishing.

Jim/Haulback

PS.....anyone know the record for number of fish landed on ONE boat during the race???

I will probably be 'practicing' with line, lures, etc, for a couple days before I actually start 'fishing' ......

BobJ
03-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Alan Weaver, Marina Village's Harbormaster, is an active sailor/racer and very welcoming to our fleet. If you decide to stay here, try to get on Gate 9, which is the end of the marina towards the shopping center, restaurants, etc. I'm on "H" dock (32' slips). In 2006, the General had a slip down the dock from me and Seabird (Dr. Lou) was on Gate 8 at the other end of the marina.

There are picnic tables on the lawn by Gate 9 - perhaps we could plan a little send-off party.

dogbark
03-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Bob, you got an email contact for Alan? Do you know if they have any room for a 60' dog? Thanks, Al

BobJ
03-17-2008, 11:40 PM
No and come to think of it, I don't remember seeing a computer in Alan's office. No wonder he has time to manage the place and sail too.

When I'm back in my office I'll give him a call.

Eyrie
04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I spoke with Alan Weaver, the Harbormaster at Marina Village, and gave him a heads up of the out-of town racers. Here's the list I mentioned: Open 60, Finn Flyer 31, Spencer 35, Islander 36, & Jutson 30. Y'all need to call him to make your own arrangements but hopefully he has a plan to place you all close together.
http://www.marinavillageharbor.com/

BTW, the final seminar on weather and tactics will be Monday July 7th at the Encinal YC, which is walking distance from Marina Village.

Synthia/Eyrie

haulback
04-14-2008, 04:37 AM
Thanks Synthia. Will give him a call this week. Much appreciated.

On another topic, bio will be sent along very soon, possibly even later on today.

Jim/Haulback