Thread: Advice please re used windvane

Default Advice please re used windvane

This Monitor windvane is for sale on Latitude, and it looks like a good deal. Any thoughts? Is there anything I should look at when buying a used monitor?

MISCELLANEOUS GEAR,

Monitor windvane, two extra airvanes. Excellent condition; $1,750. (415) 729-9423
    01/15/2013

On the surface that sounds like a good deal. Scanmar in Richmond makes the Monitors and Hans Bernwall (Scanmar's owner) is a good friend of the SSS. My recollection is he keeps a list of all the Monitors he's sold. If you can find out the year and serial number, Hans can probably tell you details about it. Monitors are one-size-fits-all but the mountings vary quite a bit, and if it was made for a wheel boat it may have some extra parts you don't need. It's also nice if it has the e-rudder attachment.

At that price I'd be looking at it, if it wouldn't make Rags pop wheelies due to all that weight on the transom.

Well, it's already gone. The fella was nice enough to call me and tell me. I'm still looking.

I'm not surprised - that was a great price. It would be worth a call to Hans anyway. He may know of some others out there and he's a kick to talk to about this stuff.

If you don't find a used Windvane, talk to Yves Galinas at Cap Horn Windvane. New ones are moderately priced and they work superbly well in all wind and sea conditions, including dead downwind with light air - a feat some other vanes can.'t match. I put one on my boat this past spring and can't imagine sailing without it now. Yves often gives a 10% discount if you order early and can wait up to three months for delivery. he guarantees each unit for one circumnavigation!