Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: STIX and tinkering with PHRF

ORR is allegedly what the Downwind ratings are based on. Plus ORR is supposed to be adjusted for the conditions, to be effective.

Are you sure you want to go there?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    ORR is allegedly what the Downwind ratings are based on. Plus ORR is supposed to be adjusted for the conditions, to be effective.

Are you sure you want to go there?

Downwind Ratings were cooked up with no verification of cert data, which is often crap. So, GIGO.

I wish Pac Cup would make up their minds. I want to make a decision and need to know the cost of getting an ORR rating. My guess is somewhere around $1500, anyone have experience with this ?

I read the minutes of the Aug 19 PacCup meeting. They are requiring certified PHRF, which will require a water line and displacement measurement. THis is also the requirement of the Nor Cal PHRF going forward. They are arranging group measurement days at a cost of $200 per boat, which sound pretty reasonable compared to what some acquaintances have experienced in the past. I wonder if this holds for larger vessels (like Tiger Beetle ? ). As PacCup usually does they are following NorCal PHRF so they mostly stay out of the rating business.

Here is the wording from the NorCal site:

Why you might want a CPHRF certificate:
    In 2014, the Pacific Cup will require a CPHRF certificate for all boats who wish to compete for the overall Pacific Cup trophy. Possibly in the future other downwind races will start to require CPHRF certificates.

How to get a CPHRF certificate:
    If you have a valid* ORR or IRC certificate, submit a copy of those certificates with your application requesting a CPHRF. No other action or fee is required. All the information needed is on those certificates. (*"valid" means a current certificate that accurately represents the configuration you will sail under in PHRF.)

If you do not have a valid ORR or IRC certificate, you must have your boat weighed and hull profile measured by a licensed US Sailing measurer. The measurer must measure IRC profile data and will weigh the boat in IRC measurement configuration. IRC configuration is essentially empty all sails and loose gear removed. Please read and prepare your boat following the CPHRF Owner Measurement Preparation Guide.

The Pacific Cup will arrange a few specific dates where groups of boats can be measured together, thus significantly reducing cost. These group measurements will be conducted by measurer Dick Horn at Berkeley Marine Center, and are expected to cost $200/boat. A boat that measures solo can expect a normal haul out rate and Dick Horn's hourly rate.

ORR displacements are typically 1-2% higher than IRC because more gear is allowed on board for ORR measurement. The PHRF board will consider the data source and adjust displacement to suit in calculating downwind ratings.

NCPHRF Quick Links

Electronic Application
    Printable NCPHRF Application
    NCPHRF Rules & Guidelines
    NCPHRF Ratings
    NCPHRF Rating Appeal Form

Here is the link to NorCal PHRF: http://www.yra.org/PHRF/ncphrf_certifiedratings.html

I guess they mean to tinker with base ratings using a bit better data. But frankly, I am not sure that the overall system, which is much more 'historical' than 'empirical' will be much improved, as there are some notorious examples of base ratings that are completely out of whack, and that the NCPHRF has not addressed in spite of decades worth of data.

Upon careful reading of your link, it sounds like the whole agenda is to try to save the Downwind ratings. "We're sure your boat is heavier than you told us, so you won't mind."

So once a year we make our pilgrimage to Berkeley Marine Center, pay our $200 and have our boat weighed? Then we can get a PHRF certificate? Good luck with that - we have a fair bit of trouble rounding up current certificates from some of you now.

I'm sorry, but this is a complete misunderstanding of what PHRF is and who it's intended for. Clubs will just start using their own ratings (like many do now for beer can racing) and YRA will lose its largest revenue source. It seems to me that PacCupYC is trying to offload its DW rating popularity problem onto NorCal PHRF, and YRA will pay the price.

Perhaps someone in an official capacity* will respond to this thread, and to us as NorCal PHRF's largest (and growing) constituency. How many PHRF certs get issued in January for the Three Bridge Fiasco? (LOTS)

* I am not posting as a representative of the SSS board. However, since participation in our races would suffer if we continued to require current certificates and the boats had to be weighed, I would bring this up to the board.
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-30-2013 at 04:15 PM.

The Pac Cup Commodore just called me. Here is their plan:

CPHRF is only required for entrants interested in the overall trophy, so no need to do the measurement.

However, the YRA implies/states CPHRF is required for YRA racing in the future, however they point back at Pac Cup for measurement plans ? If that is true than i essence Pac Cup is requiring 100% weigh in since it is required for YRA PHRF, unless Pac Cup is allowing 2013 certs ?
    I have a call to YRA for clarity. I suspect this might be a bit squishy.

In any case it looks like we should all budget weigh ins every so often, at least sometime in the near future.

If YRA requires it than it is also a requirement for SSS racing as Nor Cal PHRF is a requirement, right ?

Brian

As Comrade Lenin so aptly put it: "Who, Whom?"

What is driving this? Who is being served here? Does this address any of the factors that are causing the decline in participation?

I just re read the Nor Cal YRA posting. I missed a key point, they are not stating this is a general requirement but that more events are starting to require the measurement and are suggesting it. As you said, they seem to be preserving the downwind rating. I actually agree that a measurement is the right thing to do in order to have accuracy, but it requires substantial cost which I don't like. I wonder about the annual requirement ? I know in one design racing I did in two classes we had annual weigh ins (and in one case spot weigh ins at some regatta's).

I guess we are in for more and more continual escalating costs what with PHRF & technology requirements. I think I will just go to CLipper Cove and hang out to talk about the sailing I used to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    and we'll have to add a DH division to our race.
    wash your mouth out with soap. Even if I never sail a singlehanded transpac, I want to know there are sailors out there doing it. As a tribe.
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-30-2013 at 11:42 AM.