Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: STIX and tinkering with PHRF

I asked that question awhile back and I was told they do not plan to change it. Also, the drafts of the NOR and RR&C's have the same formulas as last time.

So I think you're good to go . . . hypothetically. You'll have to remind them about your rounding issue at the appropriate time (should theory become practice).

It appears that a lot of (*#$_)@#( has come down in the Nor Cal PHRF world, in fact, racing in general, since I kind of stopped in 2008.

Now I have to go get my boat weighed, as well, in order to get a PHRF certificate? This "weighing" activity will cost around $200? And if I change out my batteries or some damn thing, I'll have to do it AGAIN? It used to cost $75 for a certificate, I'm sure that's been pumped up to well over $100 by now. I think that maybe we're all being $200-to-death, here. Two hundred here, two hundred there, two hundred for another radio beacon, two hundred for another safety item, it's just two hundred dollars, no big deal, right? Except that sooner or later it adds up to real money. Somebody said that once, before, right? I dunno, do I WANT to get back into this?

BTW, not that I have any say in it, but I REVOLT at the notion of having a "doublehanded division" in the SHTP. I might actually show up at a meeting and shout myself blue in the face, should that obscene idea get any credence, whatsoever.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

A lot of that was in the context of the 2014 Pacific Cup.

You only need to have your boat weighed if you want a "certified" PHRF certificate, and the only place you currently need a certified PHRF certificate is in the Pacific Cup IF you want to compete for the overall win on corrected time (the Pacific Cup itself). I think Dave King's overall win with his Westsail 32 is still stuck in their collective craw.

I think a regular PHRF certificate is still $40. No one else plans to require certified PHRF certificates that I've heard about, and certainly not the SSS.

We agree on no DH'ers in the Singlehanded TransPac - that was written in reaction to some of the Pacific Cup craziness.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    A lot of that was in the context of the 2014 Pacific Cup.

You only need to have your boat weighed if you want a "certified" PHRF certificate, and the only place you currently need a certified PHRF certificate is in the Pacific Cup IF you want to compete for the overall win on corrected time (the Pacific Cup itself). I think Dave King's overall win with his Westsail 32 is still stuck in their collective craw.

I think a regular PHRF certificate is still $40. No one else plans to require certified PHRF certificates that I've heard about, and certainly not the SSS.

We agree on no DH'ers in the Singlehanded TransPac - that was written in reaction to some of the Pacific Cup craziness.
    OK, well this is encouraging, at least!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Being on the right coast I don't have a dog in this PacCup fight, but the discussion about ratings has been interesting (isn't always? okay, maybe not). On the topic about the cost of weighing, ORR certs don't require a hoist with a load cell if they already have the hull lines -- either from a previous measurement of your boat or a sister boat. A measurer would just measure the freeboard (very carefully of course) to determine the displacement. That's a lot cheaper than the complete haul-out. Now if the hull lines aren't available, you just find the richest guy that owns a sister boat and convince them to do the full laser measurement routine, or something like that.

I think PHRF has been terrible ever since they let J/24s in. Rating systems should either be by measurement (CCA, IOR, IMS, ORR, IRC, pick yer poison) or a Portsmouth system. Anything else is just hooey.