Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any advice for a first-timer?

OMG!!! All those experiences in one race. With a boat new to you. I am so impressed. And you didn't hit any other boats. And you are a singlehander. Clearly now you are a singlehander. What a day! Jackie

Well, not hitting other boats was one of the two goals I had for the race (I did come close a time or two, the other boats were nice enough to let me pass). The other was to actually finish, which I also accomplished. Not sure I actually started though. I got really confused with the location of that X buoy, so I don't know if I actually crossed the line. Was definitely close though

I know all this probably sounds like child play to you experienced sailors, but it was quite an experience for me. Thank you SSS for making it possible (and Jensen Marine for making boats that last half a century!)

BTW, one more thing that I learned: don't try to sleep on the boat while docked at Pier 39. Sea lions and tidal surges will drive you nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by kotyara View Post
    Well, not hitting other boats was one of the two goals I had for the race (I did come close a time or two, the other boats were nice enough to let me pass). The other was to actually finish, which I also accomplished. Not sure I actually started though. I got really confused with the location of that X buoy, so I don't know if I actually crossed the line. Was definitely close though

I know all this probably sounds like child play to you experienced sailors, but it was quite an experience for me. Thank you SSS for making it possible (and Jensen Marine for making boats that last half a century!)

BTW, one more thing that I learned: don't try to sleep on the boat while docked at Pier 39. Sea lions and tidal surges will drive you nuts!
    Just keep coming back, it will all start to make sense....

hahaha I've heard that about Pier 39. But that's all part of the story now.

Love this thread!
    Looks like one of the shorter 3BFs on record. the RC must have felt like one arm paper hangers between 13:30 and 15:00!

We were rattling our saber at the 3BF this year for the first time too, but the wife took ill, and we will race at a later date instead. The bottom needed cleaning anyway.

How much does it cost at Pier39 to not get any sleep? :P

Hehe, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Sometimes I feel like an annoying kid asking the adults lots of silly questions but only sometimes.

Pier 39 was $45 flat rate for boats under 36'. Another boat from the race, "Rock On", was parked next to me, so I wasn't the only one with that idea.