Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: power cell for recharing phones and laptops

Elise had an efoy last edition... given Nat's problems with her solar connections, seems like it worked when it needed to.
    It is pretty spendy though...
    DH

Between the EFOY and the Watt & Sea I think the hydro makes a lot more sense for the same price. Massive amount power quickly, means you don't need the hydro in the water all the time.

I believe Natalie C. had an EFOY in 2014 and struggled with having enough energy. I don't know what size it was, but perhaps it just wasn't big enough. Either that or she didn't bring enough fuel to run it as much as needed.

We are thinking W&S cruising version and solar for a belt and sospenders approach. Having a crap ton of solar is a good value, but not so great if the sun doesn't shine (2012?).

If your boat has a diesel and an alternator, then solar is a nice supplement and you might be able to carry less fuel. The value of a W&S seems much less if you have an alternator. Sure you can carry less fuel and save weight, but it is spendy and there is a little drag. At that point you are scratching the very last things you can do to go faster and you better have all the other options covered (great sails, great autopilot, for example).
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28