Thread: Remote Control for Raymarine Autopilot

Default Remote Control for Raymarine Autopilot

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and have joined to let you know about the remote control I've developed for Raymarine Autopilots such as the ST1000 and ST2000.
    I sail a Farr 6000 trailer sailer and occasionally sail single handed, so have discovered the convenience of an autopilot, especially when putting up or dousing the spinnaker. However it soon became obvious that it would be handy to steer the boat while up the front and as the Raymarine remotes are very expensive I decided to build my own, which I did. Have a look at this video, which isn't very good but gives you an idea of what the remote looks like and shows it in operation.

http://youtu.be/Ws0mJvEnZDY

Apart from being handy, there's also the possibility of steering the boat back to you (or head to wind at least) if you fall overboard because the fobs are (supposedly!) waterproof and have a range of 200m.

I'd be interested in your feedback!

Cheers,
    Neil.

I have Ray's S100 which will control my X-5 or my backup 4000+. As someone wrote over on SA, the problem is the S100 shuts off too soon (to save batteries) so you have to remember to click it now and then. I think the range is only supposed to be 10m - about one boat length for me - so the additional range on yours could be good for safety. Can you do a test to prove the range and post it? Also, it probably needs to be larger with the buttons spaced out more to not drop it all the time and to be able to hit the buttons accurately, esp. with gloves on.

Hi Bob,

Yes, I must get round to testing the claimed 200m transmit distance, and the claimed waterproofness of the fobs.
    The fobs have a clip on them so I just keep mine clipped to the zip cord of the pocket in my sailing shorts so it's always ready to use.
    I've been looking around for different style fobs but there isn't much choice available. I decided to use the ones I'm using because they have four buttons all the same size, don't have padlock emblems on the buttons (as in automotive types), have a (claimed) long range and are claimed to be waterproof.
    There has been no complaints about the current ones yet, but if anyone comes across better fobs I'd certainly be interested.

Cheers,
    Neil.