Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 LongPac Forum & Web Page

Default 2013 LongPac Forum & Web Page

In preparation for the 2013 LongPac race, we now have a forum category and web site for the race.

The web page is a work in progress at: http://sfbaysss.org/longpac_2013.html

Who do we contact regarding equipment requirements for the LongPac. Specifically, I have a Dan Buoy that I planned to use rather than a MOB Pole/Horseshoe combination or MOM8 and want to submit this to meet the MOB pole requirement.

$325 at Landfall looks pretty good. The mess of traditional pole, ring, light and drogue is a pain in the ass.
    http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sosdanbuoy.html

Ben...510-520-0779 or knickspant@gmail.com.

Hmmm. Another consideration, thanks! Why is a singlehanded entry carrying one? If leaving the boat would the sailor grab the MOB so that the auto helm would come back? Missed that. But good deal shopping around.

And I'm just the scribe.

Lucie

That's a very good price, better than the "official" reseller offers. I saw the Dan Buoy demoed at the USS SAS course - very slick. I'm planning to doublehand the LongPac, not single to answer the singlehanded question. Of course you could also deploy it to a POB from another vessel. One potential issue I see with the MOM8 solution (besides the very expensive need to recertify it) is that getting into a horseshoe in the water while wearing an inflated PFD would appear to be difficult although I've never tried.

A separate discussion thread clarifies what is included in the MOB equipment:

Horseshoe buoy
    Strobe light
    Sea anchor
    Bright flag 12"x12"
    Whistle

I don't want to kvetch, but...

The separate thread regarding MOB equipment has not clarified anything for me.

Nor has post #6 in this thread which omits the MOB pole requirement. (Interestingly, knickspant states in post #7 in the other thread that "It is required for both singlehanded and double handed entries." And then knickspant posts a MOB equipment listing in this thread the omits the MOB pole.)

In the other thread BobJ lists the 2011 longpac requirements for 4.42 which clearly states "...for doublehanded entries...". Looking at the RRC for 2013 4.42 says nothing about doublehanded entries which means it applies to singlehanded entries as well. And it clearly lists the MOB pole requirement.

The RRC's for 2013 as currently posted on the Longpac page read exactly as follows:

"4.42 A man overboard pole handy to the helmsman, and a properly installed Lifesling. The man overboard pole must be equipped with the following:
    [a] horseshoe buoy
    [b] whistle
    [c] strobe light
    [d] sea anchor
    [e] 12"x12" highly visible flag"

I think it's time for this confusion to get sorted. Either the RC should make it clear that the RRC's for 2013 are correct in their current form and all boats, both SH and DH, must carry MOB poles as indicated by the current documents, or the RRC's should be amended to clear up the issue.

I think I may have just enough time left to widen the transom of the SC27 by a few feet to make room for the horseshoe buoy, lifesling, strobe light, solar panels (did I miss anything?). At least the pole has a hole to slide into where it will surely remain secure until just about pt. Bonita...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post

The RRC's for 2013 as currently posted on the Longpac page read exactly as follows:

"4.42 A man overboard pole handy to the helmsman, and a properly installed Lifesling. The man overboard pole must be equipped with the following:
    [a] horseshoe buoy
    [b] whistle
    [c] strobe light
    [d] sea anchor
    [e] 12"x12" highly visible flag"

I think it's time for this confusion to get sorted. Either the RC should make it clear that the RRC's for 2013 are correct in their current form and all boats, both SH and DH, must carry MOB poles as indicated by the current documents, or the RRC's should be amended to clear up the issue.
    Hi John -

as a potential LongPac competitor, I don't see any confusion in the rule as written - the gear needs to be on the boat.

The confusion appears to derive from competitors questioning the rule and the race chairs not providing a direct clear answer.

But the rule itself is straightforward and clear.

- rob/beetle

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Hi John -

as a potential LongPac competitor, I don't see any confusion in the rule as written - the gear needs to be on the boat.

The confusion appears to derive from competitors questioning the rule and the race chairs not providing a direct clear answer.

But the rule itself is straightforward and clear.

- rob/beetle
    Rob,

I agree, the rules as written are clear. And if that is what the RC is going to use, then that's what it is.

But when the race chair comes on a forum dedicated to the event and posts stuff like "Why is a singlehanded entry carrying one? If leaving the boat would the sailor grab the MOB so that the auto helm would come back? Missed that." (post #4 of this thread) and then 2 posts later puts up a list that omits the MOB pole, that's confusing. At least it is to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    But when the race chair comes on a forum dedicated to the event and posts stuff like "Why is a singlehanded entry carrying one? If leaving the boat would the sailor grab the MOB so that the auto helm would come back? Missed that." (post #4 of this thread) and then 2 posts later puts up a list that omits the MOB pole, that's confusing. At least it is to me.
    I entirely agree!

- rob/beetle