Thread: Faster Boats Colliding with Slower Boats

Default Faster Boats Colliding with Slower Boats

It doesn't really matter who is on the starboard tack and who was at fault when there is a collision because it's always bad for both boats. Because my boat is small and maneuverable, I've short tacked away from boats twice my size many times over many years to avoid collision regardless of which way the wind was blowing. Most people can not understand how many 1000s of times I've had to do this and how I knew that one time I wouldn't see it coming. The 2013 Round the Rocks race for me on Tinker, and for Peter Jones on Emerald, was the race were both of us were hit on Starboard tacks headed for the city front by faster boats on Port tacks going towards Alcatraz. I am usually more diligent in checking under the head sail when the majority of the faster boats in the race are passing me.

Usually, I am passed by every boat in the SSS fleet in every race. My boat is slower, smaller and therefore more of a target. With some SSS races this can be 100s of boats that I have to be careful to not get hit by as they speed past me. In Friday night beer can races, I have to be careful with the Islanders that trade tack for tack with me while going down the estuary. I've talked with several Santana 22 sailors that have similar problems avoiding collisions racing with boats near twice our size. It's been many 1000s of nautical miles, 100s of races, and many years that I've avoided collision until now.

Tinker will never be the same again after this hit. I will wear the patch on the bow like a badge of honor but the bent toe rail and bow pulpit will never be the same. With some fast setting epoxy, a temporary patch and new piece of foil for the bent roller fuller, I'll be ready for the Great Vallejo race next weekend. I have a feeling that the other boat will not be so easily repaired. I am impressed and more confident now that the Wilderness 21 can take a hit and keep going. Watchout!!! I'll still be out there in your way in the next race. Now that the damage has been done, and I know I can take the hit and keep floating, I may not short tack out of your way. You won't want to take a risk trading paint with Tinker on the race course. It will be like that junker on the freeway that you give extra room to just because you know they don't care as much for their vehicle after getting damaged. Port tack or Starboard tack, we all need to keep watch better as the number of boats in our shorthanded races increase.

Matt
    Last edited by Matt; 04-27-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Ouch Matt, sorry to hear that. It may be too soon but can you give us some details?

Matt, we need to get TINKER a pair of those horns like they have on Texas Cadillacs.

Things got very dicey coming around Alcatraz in that big flood. As you came in and out of the current "cone" and were tacking close to shore, it was tricky. I had a close call with an F-27 and we both tacked away.

Now that I've sailed that course I'm ready to review it for next year.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-28-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Sorry to hear that Matt. I was surprised to see Tinker put away at Alameda when we got in as I saw you on the water on Friday. Didn't look closely enough to see the damage. Hope you get it all in shape for next week. We all have to be paranoid regardless of what tack we are sailing on....

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Very sorry to hear about your mishap. It's not just slow/fast though. I had as a singlehander in the Corinthian race a number of very unnerving encounters with port tackers that were clearly not checking for traffic, or even more fun, seeing me on a collision course and heading UP, before coming to their senses and moving to duck me. I wish I had more confidence in the fleet that they knew and applied rights of way, and kept a more vigilant watch.