Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longpac RRC - prep

Default Longpac RRC - prep

Reading through the RRC, most of it makes sense.
    The one requirement I don't understand is:

4.42 A man overboard pole handy to the helmsman, and a properly installed Lifesling. The man overboard pole must be equipped with the following:
    [a] horseshoe buoy
    [b] whistle
    [c] strobe light
    [d] sea anchor
    [e] 12"x12" highly visible flag

Reminds me of the IOR days. This is a new requirement, unless I was never inspected on that item.
    Is this appropriate for a single handed race?

Dirk, a few of us discussed this last night including Ben and Lucie, the LongPac Race Chairs. I can't speak for them about what is required for LongPac but they are reviewing this item. I'd say if you plan to race LongPac singlehanded and haven't bought the items above - other than the Lifesling, which I think will be required for both SH and DH - you might wait for an answer from them before doing so.

A bit of "generic" background on this, posted here before: Under CG regulations, all boats (not just racers or even just sailboats) are required to have a Type IV (throwable) device available to the helm. Technically the LifeSling wouldn't meet this requirement because it's attached to the boat and is intended for a different purpose, but it has been CG approved as a "Type V which substitutes for a Type IV." A lot of boats carry a CG approved throwable cushion to meet the Type IV requirement. Larger boats and offshore boats usually have a (yellow) horseshoe and this, along with a whistle and self-igniting light, is what NorCalORC requires (without the pole, drogue and flag).

I'll add that the Type IV cushions I see are often white, but this makes them almost invisible once you throw them in the water.

Bottom line - Ben and Lucie are mulling over this requirement in response to your inquiry (and others).
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-09-2013 at 09:24 AM.

There was also some discussion about the Danbuoy.

http://www.danbuoy.com/
    http://www.landfallnavigation.com/sosdanbuoy.html

It seems to me like this would be a good replacement for both the MOB pole requirement for double-handers in the LongPac (Ben and Lucie seem to favor removing the requirement for single-handers) as well as the horseshoe, floating light and whistle that NorCalORC requires. Since Single-handed Farallones is using NorCal Minimum Offshore Requirements I would like to use the Danbuoy instead of the horseshoe, floating light and whistle. NorCalORC MORs specifically state that a "Man Overboard Module meets this requirement." I believe that is referring to a specific product from Switlik which we are all familiar with. The Danbuoy seemingly has the added benefit of being more readily accessible than a MOM on the pushpit. And rather than just drop off of the back of the boat, you can throw it to weather. I intend to ask NorCalORC if the Danbuoy will satisfy the requirement, but if (or when) I come in for my safety inspection after the Farallones Race, will the SSS RC accept the Danbuoy as meeting the NorCalORC MOR #25 requirement? I know SSS doesn't control the NorCalORC requirements so I am asking for an opinion. I would like to get a pre-inspection at which time I may receive an answer, but I am not sure I can arrange that in time.
    By the way the MOM module is about $720 at Landfall Navigation and the Danbuoy is $325.
    Thanks,
    Stephen

Starbuck #8666

Hi Stephen. I just got a reply from Andy Newell. He says yes, the SOS Dan Buoy would meet NorCalORC's requirement for item 25 "provided it's within its service/repack interval."

I watched the video on Landfall Nav's site and that looks like a great device for marking a MOB's location.

Thanks Bob. Since it is user-repackable I'm assuming it just has a reminder to check over and maybe replace the canister at a certain interval. Perhaps yearly?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Dirk, a few of us discussed this last night including Ben and Lucie, the LongPac Race Chairs. I can't speak for them about what is required for LongPac but they are reviewing this item. I'd say if you plan to race LongPac singlehanded and haven't bought the items above - other than the Lifesling, which I think will be required for both SH and DH - you might wait for an answer from them before doing so.

A bit of "generic" background on this, posted here before: Under CG regulations, all boats (not just racers or even just sailboats) are required to have a Type IV (throwable) device available to the helm. Technically the LifeSling wouldn't meet this requirement because it's attached to the boat and is intended for a different purpose, but it has been CG approved as a "Type V which substitutes for a Type IV." A lot of boats carry a CG approved throwable cushion to meet the Type IV requirement. Larger boats and offshore boats usually have a (yellow) horseshoe and this, along with a whistle and self-igniting light, is what NorCalORC requires (without the pole, drogue and flag).

I'll add that the Type IV cushions I see are often white, but this makes them almost invisible once you throw them in the water.

Bottom line - Ben and Lucie are mulling over this requirement in response to your inquiry (and others).
    Thanks Bob,

Sorry I missed the meeting last week. I carry a LifeSling as well as a horseshoe with whistle and light. I will wait to hear about the pole verdict...

Dirk
    Xpression - C&C 110

Any equipment which meets 4.2 will fulfill the requirement is fine. It is required for both singlehanded and double handed entries.

The notion of excluding some equipment for singlehanded entries has been discussed repeatedly, as you'll find perusing Tinker's anthology of Ergo's posts over the seasons.

Lucie & Ben

Quote Originally Posted by knickspant View Post
    Any equipment which meets 4.2 will fulfill the requirement is fine. It is required for both singlehanded and double handed entries.

The notion of excluding some equipment for singlehanded entries has been discussed repeatedly, as you'll find perusing Tinker's anthology of Ergo's posts over the seasons.

Lucie & Ben
    Lucie & Ben,

Thanks for confirming the requirements. I'm not questioning equipment for single-handed vs, double-handed or crewed. I was surprised to see the "man overboard pole" as a requirement. I thought that was long gone...I could see it replaced with a mandatory PLB. Last time I had a man overboard pole was during the IOR days. So either it is reintroduced or I was "lucky" that it was not checked for during inspection.

Dirk - Xpression

Here is the requirement from the 2011 LongPac RR&C's. It applied only to doublehanded entries:

"4.42 For doublehanded entries, a man overboard pole handy to the helmsman, and a
    properly installed Lifesling. The man overboard pole must be equipped with the
    following:
    [a] horseshoe buoy
    [b] whistle
    [c] strobe light
    [d] sea anchor
    [e] 12"x12" highly visible flag

When I used to carry all this for OYRA, it tended to come loose and get dragged behind the boat. For all boats including fully-crewed, NorCalORC has simplified it to a horsehoe with light and whistle, which is a lot easier to untie and throw quickly. I recognize we're not using NorCalORC rules for the LongPac - just pointing out the differences.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-20-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knickspant View Post

Lucie & Ben
    Well what else DOES fulfill the requirement? Danbuoy? MOM?