Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Farallones Race Questions

I always hear the words of Jeff Berman: First I leave the dock and see if I want to continue. Then, when I get to the end of the Estuary and head under bridge I check the Bay, and decide if I want to go on. When I reach the Start, another check, both before and after. For the Farallones, I see how I'm doing at Bonita, the Lightship, and whenever. If I'm not feeling right about getting that far, I turn around, call the Race Committee, and enjoy the ride home."

When I earned my blue sweatshirt, I kept that advice close. When I passed the Lightship and the wind and waves changed, I weighted whether I wanted to change headsails or turn back. I was tired....it was around 2or 3 PM....I missed my double hand. I went home. Great!

Thanks for the great advice Bob. You answered several questions I was pondering. Much appreciated from a rookie perspective.

Keep the anchor handy to prevent going over early and not being able to get back to the start line.

A skipper asked if I would post the charlet showing the GPS tracks. This board likes JPG's so the resolution isn't as good, but here you go:

Attachment 325

Oh that's awful. Well, the original is on Page 80 of the report - here:
    http://media.ussailing.org/AssetFactory.aspx?vid=18654
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-15-2013 at 09:28 AM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Thanks David - that's much better.

The green track going up the right hand edge of the image is what happens if you don't work the north side of the course going out (see the middle of my Post #8). That boat did a lot of hard sailing just to get back up onto the course - then he cut way too close when he finally got around the top of the island.

Okay, so you finally got around the island and you're headed back. You shook out the reef in the lee of SE Farallon, took a leak*, made sure you have some water and snacks in the cockpit, checked your spotlight so you can light up your sail number when you finish, etc. *BTW, I never pee over the rail when sailing single-handed, especially not while in the ocean.

As you emerge from the SE corner of the island out into the solid breeze, you broach - with no kite up. Welcome to the leg from the island to about the Lightbucket. If you have a westerly or southwesterly you can set - otherwise you might want to reach up with white sails for awhile. Easing the vang a bit will help with the broaching but how much depends on your boat. If I can't set, I run the headsail sheet through a reaching lead near the rail and sail a bit high so I can bear off and set sooner down the track. Those who set early in a NW'er often end up sailing down towards Ocean Beach, then have to douse and reach back up to the Gate. Check what the current will be for your ETA at the Colregs line, then plan how you want to come in - north side or south side.

All those waves you were bashing through while sailing out are now coming from behind and making the boat slew around. You can square off and surf them but if you do that enough you'll end up in Half Moon Bay - so there are compromises. The main point here is that as you come back towards the bar, you need to again think about breaking waves. They are much harder to see from behind and if you aren't paying attention you can find yourself in the midst of them. This is especially bad on a slower boat and is probably what happened to DAISY. So know where you are relative to the main ship channel and sail back in along its north or south side. In other words, stay in deep water if it's breaking on the bar.

If you've surfed down to the south side of the channel and it's still ebbing you can consider going inside Mile Rock for current relief - it's not restricted in our race - but I rarely do that and I don't think I ever have single-handed. A broach at the wrong time could park you on the bricks under the heli-pad, plus there are shallow spots in there. Be extremely careful if you decide to try it.

Watch over your shoulder for incoming ships and under the bridge for outgoing ships. If it's foggy or getting late, don't forget your nav lights. It gets busy near the end of the race and you don't want to get disqualified for no lights - that DSQ is automatic. I turn mine on early just so I don't forget. Call the R/C after the South Tower Demon gets done with you, to let them know you're approaching the finish. In poor visibility, please use your (required) spotlight to light up your sail number as you cross the line, then listen for those three horns and a call on the race channel to see if they want to inspect your boat. (You DID get inspected before the race, right?)

If you hung in with me through all this, the race will be a piece of cake in comparison. Have fun out there!

This is just great information. Thanks where is the Colregs line, please?

For San Francisco, the ColRegs line is between Pt. Bonita and Mile Rocks. It's labeled as the COLREGS DEMARCATION LINE on your chart (18649).

It's our exit point for the rest of the world - like the back wall of the wardrobe in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe . . . purple pen land . . . freedom.

Mike Jefferson ("FOXX FYRE") used to participate in the "Experienced Skipper" pre-Farrallon Race presentation. His specialty was personal preparation. His mantra was "Stay Warm, Stay Hydrated, Stay Fed." He'd even demonstrate underlayers and outerlayers, usually accompanied by hoots and gasps from the skippers present. His words of wisdom are still pertinent: Stay Warm! If you get cold, you're alone and going below to warm up isn't really an option. It's better to over dress and be warm for the first hour or two than to be cold for the important and potentially dangerous to be chilled on the longer middle part of the race. Keep plenty of water available and drink. Keep handy food in the cockpit: power bars, fruit, easy to eat stuff. It's likely you'll have your hatchboards in and be hand steering, so going below can be chancy.
    Heaving To. If you need to go below for an extended period of time, heaving is an option. You've practiced heaving to singlehanded, haven't you?
    Peeing. I think the most dangerous thing a male can do is pee over the side, hanging on (to a shroud). My position is kneeling in the cockpit with a hospital urinal in one hand. I know it's a greater problem for women, but you need to have a plan. I've wondered about NASA diapers myself.
    Pay attention to what Bob J. said about swells on the way back in. They don't have to be breaking to get you. You can be pooped by a high swell if you're not paying attention (don't ask me why I know this - nor why I know an inflatable PFD will go off when it gets doused by that wave).
    Mile Rock. I know of 3 boats that "found" the roc inside Mile Rock. There's been a Santana 35 sailing around under the Golden Gate Bridge for decades, for instance. My advice is to stay out unless you are very sure.

Bob-

RE: "Check what the current will be for your ETA at the Colregs line, then plan how you want to come in - north side or south side."

What is the correct strategy for current and if you are going to go in on the North or the South? I would think if there is a flood one would want to be near the center, and if there is an ebb it would be best to be south, so if the wind backs (NW to W) you would not have to jibe as soon.

Thanks,
    Todd