Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Farallones Race Questions

Todd, I tried to gear my posts to safety issues. When it comes to whether the north or south side is better from a competitive standpoint, I'll quote my late friend Rui: "Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield."

Default Thanks to today's Farallones Race Committee

Thanks for a great race! I know things must have been tough and busy prior to the start, but you came through and ran a great race!
    Pat, "NANCY"

Thanks Pat.

In the last race our resourceful skippers adapted to the pin end of the line being motorized. For this race the entire start/finish line was motorized.

Paul (Disario, PRO) and his team did a great job, as did the fleet. Everybody was finished by dark and results were up 14 minutes after the last boat crossed the line.

I'm sure there will be some stories to tell at the meeting.

Are the results posted somewhere? Thanks...

Here you go. Matt was racing yesterday so like the other skippers, he's probably still hooked into the Ibuprofen drip:

https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T001872699

Regarding the start/finish line, here is my e-mail exchange with our Commodore a few minutes ago:

Jim:

"How did it go yesterday?

Currently sailing back from HMB and its a wee bit bumpy (but sunny).

Cheers,
    Jim Q"

Bob:

"We got kicked out of two yacht clubs in one morning. You?"

Jim:

"Yikes"

Bob:

"Okay, that wasn't fair.

The insurance certificate didn't show up so we couldn't start at the St. Francis. Robbie Dean was as helpful as possible - helping me track down our agent in Illinois on a Saturday morning. It turned out he was racing and unavailable to help. We postponed, packed up and walked across to the GGYC, but they had taken us at our word and were painting the race deck. Okay, this is fun.

So we started/finished between GGYC 'X' and the stone lighthouse in the parking lot. It actually worked fine. All boats were finished by dark and results were up 14 minutes after the last boat finished."
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-19-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Here you go. Matt was racing yesterday so like the other skippers, he's probably still hooked into the Ibuprofen drip:

https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T001872699

Regarding the start/finish line, here is my e-mail exchange with our Commodore a few minutes ago:

Jim:

"How did it go yesterday?

Currently sailing back from HMB and its a wee bit bumpy (but sunny).

Cheers,
    Jim Q"

Bob:

"We got kicked out of two yacht clubs in one morning. You?"

Jim:

"Yikes"

Bob:

"Okay, that wasn't fair.

The insurance certificate didn't show up so we couldn't start at the St. Francis. Robbie Dean was as helpful as possible - helping me track down our agent in Illinois on a Saturday morning. It turned out he was racing and unavailable to help. We postponed, packed up and walked across to the GGYC, but they had taken us at our word and were painting the race deck. Okay, this is fun.

So we started/finished between GGYC 'X' and the stone lighthouse in the parking lot. It actually worked fine. All boats were finished by dark and results were up 14 minutes after the last boat finished."

Hi Bob & race committee

Thanks for getting the race underway, while not be able to use a yacht club...
    It's helpful to understand the reason for postponement and after learning the reason, I'm surprised and happy we got to start at all.

It was a windy race, more than I expected. There was a nice lift about half way down the course and favored boats that did not tack north early on. I was about 1.2 miles south of the rumb line and got lifted all the way back up.
    I think I was the only fool trying to put up a chute at any point on the broad reach back home. TWS went from 30 to 24 and I decided to set my A5.5 which was foolish and I got punished big time. 4 boats passed me by the time I got my chute down. Wind kept building seeing high 30's.

It was a beautiful day and another lesson learned...

Dirk- Xpression

The Olympic Circle Sailing Club is located in the Berkeley marina. It has a wonderful, free weather site online (http://www.ocscsailing.com/membershi...her/index.phpe) . When I was learning to sail my Cal 20 on the Olympic Circle it was very helpful to be able to look at the wind speeds AFTERWARDS in order to gauge what I had experienced earlier that day. "Oh, so that's what 19 knots feels like on an ebb tide with my 100% jib". In that way I learned how to gauge my own abilities and my boat's tendencies. Is there a similar site online somewhere of wind history for the winds and waves offshore? I know where to find forecasts and how to call dial a buoy, but my only gauge of yesterday’s true weather and speed is Dirk Husselman’s comment (above) “TWS went from 30 to 24 and I decided to set my A5.5 which was foolish and I got punished big time. 4 boats passed me by the time I got my chute down. Wind kept building seeing high 30's.” (!!!) and Stephan Buckingham’s comment to Jonathan Gutoff that sailing yesterday was a “hate mission”. I was out there for awhile yesterday, and turned around somewhere between Approach Buoy 1 and the Light Bucket. I was in no position, however, to call Dial a Buoy or to go below. Please, fellas, I would appreciate reading any and all reflections on yesterday’s race from people who kept going. I would also like to ask: “how did you DO that?”

Philpott,

The National Data Buoy Center pages show wind and wave data for the preceding 24 hours. (There are links at the bottom of the page to older data.) The data for station 46026 (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46026) is the closest to the Farallones course. When looking at the previous 5 day continuous winds data you need to convert wind speed from meters per second to make any sense of it (unless you are used to pondering wind speeds in meters per second). I have never spent much time poking around the other flavors of older data but there is a wealth of stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    The Olympic Circle Sailing Club is located in the Berkeley marina. It has a wonderful, free weather site online (http://www.ocscsailing.com/membershi...her/index.phpe) . When I was learning to sail my Cal 20 on the Olympic Circle it was very helpful to be able to look at the wind speeds AFTERWARDS in order to gauge what I had experienced earlier that day. "Oh, so that's what 19 knots feels like on an ebb tide with my 100% jib". In that way I learned how to gauge my own abilities and my boat's tendencies. Is there a similar site online somewhere of wind history for the winds and waves offshore? I know where to find forecasts and how to call dial a buoy, but my only gauge of yesterday’s true weather and speed is Dirk Husselman’s comment (above) “TWS went from 30 to 24 and I decided to set my A5.5 which was foolish and I got punished big time. 4 boats passed me by the time I got my chute down. Wind kept building seeing high 30's.” (!!!) and Stephan Buckingham’s comment to Jonathan Gutoff that sailing yesterday was a “hate mission”. I was out there for awhile yesterday, and turned around somewhere between Approach Buoy 1 and the Light Bucket. I was in no position, however, to call Dial a Buoy or to go below. Please, fellas, I would appreciate reading any and all reflections on yesterday’s race from people who kept going. I would also like to ask: “how did you DO that?”
    You bring up a great topic. What wind did you experience, based on your wind instruments, sail combinations, and boat behavior vs actual?
    I personally go by my instruments as a guideline. I know what it means for me, although it might not show actual. Anything below 25 AWS is no reef and #2 jib. Over 25 AWS #3 jib. Over 30 AWS 1 reef. However sailing single handed I want to minimize sail changes so sometimes I carry a #2 with a reef and other times I sail with the #3 in 15 AWS. Yesterday I started with my #3 Jib. about 1/3 of the way out to the Farallones I decided to reef. The boat handled really well. Un-reefed at the Farallones. However I would have been better of at times with a reef. Again trying to set the chute was "insane". It was a great day sailing. However I would not enjoy it if this would be the conditions of a long pac.

What did other boats see as wind speed?

Thank you! Scrolling down: what a great idea! Just what I was looking for.