Thread: Thanks to the Farallones Race Deck

Default Thanks to the Farallones Race Deck

What a great day to be out sailing on Saturday. Thanks to the race deck and all those at the SSS involved in making this race happen. I know it must have been frantic to pull off the last minute changes to the start.

I did not make it very far out the gate (see the GPS track below) but had a great time sailing. It was a little too choppy beating into the wind with the 5 foot 5 second rollers and I was not confident enough in everything to push the limits of equipment or myself.

I've got about 5 minutes of video taken from the Samsung Cell phone posted on youtube at: http://youtu.be/EFCPNHYnjRU

Also posted a few pictures at: https://plus.google.com/116385020517...ts/Bc3HL5j68jS

The GPS track from jibeset: Name:  Farallons_2013_GPS_Track.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  76.5 KB

Thanks Again

Matt
    Last edited by Matt; 05-19-2013 at 08:38 PM.

I too had a great time. I turned back at about the Light Bucket but was a bit south of it. Same reasons, the washing machine was in effect and the wind was building. Decided I wasn't ready to handle those conditions after dark. But I had a great day and I thought the race deck did a great job!

Default Looked windy and fun

Looked windy and fun

Photos from Landend

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...73524778865090

wish I were out there

Larry Baskin
    Sea Spirit 108

Catalina 34

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    What a great day to be out sailing on Saturday. Thanks to the race deck and all those at the SSS involved in making this race happen. I know it must have been frantic to pull off the last minute changes to the start.

I did not make it very far out the gate (see the GPS track below) but had a great time sailing. It was a little too choppy beating into the wind with the 5 foot 5 second rollers and I was not confident enough in everything to push the limits of equipment or myself.

I've got about 5 minutes of video taken from the Samsung Cell phone posted on youtube at: http://youtu.be/EFCPNHYnjRU

Also posted a few pictures at: https://plus.google.com/116385020517...ts/Bc3HL5j68jS

The GPS track from jibeset: Name:  Farallons_2013_GPS_Track.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  76.5 KB

Thanks Again

Matt

Thank you to the SSS race deck for putting on this race. I can tell you that if we had fog I would have turned around! Even keel handled the conditions very nice. I set the first reef at the second green buoy out , after I saw Shaman setting her reef. If a Cal 40 is reefed a Catalina 320 should have already been reefed. The waves were impressive. Rounding the island was a challenge as the waves kept pushing me closer to the rocks then I wanted, a couple of extra tacks and around the island we went. On the return trip I saw the most impressive waves and much stronger winds. I observed a peak wind gust of 42 kts, yikes! Mostly the wind was around 30-35 kts from 120 deg. The waves on the return did give us trouble (boat and skipper) and both of us a good soaking, Even Keel clean and Mike wet. Sure glad the companionway was closed. In one passing wave I observed a porpoise surfing the face as they passed me, so cool! On two occasions while rounding the island my depth meter went from 150 ft. to 15 ft. then back to 150 ft. in a matter of seconds, what’s under me? Does it bite keels!
    I had the GoPro on for the exit under the GG and the return from the island but, sorry to say, not the rounding, It was too rough to turn it on. Sometimes calling quits can be harder than plowing on. The decision made to turn around was a good one and shows good judgment and seamanship.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Now&Zen View Post
    I too had a great time. I turned back at about the Light Bucket but was a bit south of it. Same reasons, the washing machine was in effect and the wind was building. Decided I wasn't ready to handle those conditions after dark. But I had a great day and I thought the race deck did a great job!
    YIKES! Being out there after dark in those conditions! Worse than Lions and Tigers and Bears!

Just reduce sail a bunch and keep the AIS running. Every half-hour the friendly voice of VTS comes on and tells you about any shipping traffic.

Seriously, this is the main purpose of the next merit badge - the LongPac. It's the first chance some skippers have to race alone over night. No lions, tigers or bears that I remember seeing (or hearing). There were voices but they weren't growling.

Great photos from Lands End Larry!!! Really nice to see those. Thanks for going up there and snapping those.

Nice shots and video too Matt!

We didn't round either, the 3 of us sailing along have all seen'm. We saw them in the distance and decided a sail change wasn't as nice as just turning around. Whoopee what a ride!