Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LongPac Communications

I am renting sat phone from Mobal. Inreach has good reputation for iPhone but not android. Cassiopeia used iPhone/in reach on 2012 PAC cup with success. I will use Spot 2 as transponder for family/friends.
    Last edited by Submarino; 06-02-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Hi Stephen -

I would strongly suggest that the SSS form is NOT a place for official race information.

The race info is spelled out in the race documents (NOR, SI, rules and conditions, etc.). The only race information regarding equipment is listed in LongPac NOR 5.3, the relevant portion of which is:

"5.3 All entered yachts must be capable of communicating their location to the Race Committee on a to be specified periodic basis for the duration of the race through SMS (text) or email."

If there is a position reporting requirement for LongPac (which currently there is not), then that would have to be promulgated as an amendment to the NOR, or stated in the Sailing Instructions (which have not been published yet).

That said, Ben is a race co-chair and if he says something will be so then it most likely will be so - after all, he ought to know!

- rob/beetle
    Thanks Rob. I know.

So the SI's need to spell out some of these questions we've been having. Okay good. My suggestions to those large and in charge:

Add wording to 4.42 of the Race Rules and Conditions along the lines of "or a MOM or Danbuoy ".

Add wording to 5.3 of the Notice of Race that includes a voicemail message to the SSS number 866-SAIL-SSS.

Don't change anymore of NOR 11.

Position reporting will be done by each yacht sending an email or text to new email/text addresses which post them to the website LongPac web page in list and map views.

Thanks, Matt!

Yachts wishing to post "log" narratives, fishing reports, spinnaker events and the like may send these to the general SSS email site from which they will be posted.

Again, thanks Matt!

Lucie

I'm confused. Perhaps Matt can weight in here.

Let's say I have email capability on my vessel. What email address do I send position reports to? I don't want to open a website using a sat phone or SSB to post something, nor do I want to ask someone else to do this for me. Also, what is the address for the "general SSS email site" to which log entries should be sent?

Thanks, John

John,

The designated position report email address and telephone number for texted messages will be in the final ComPlan.

The Interim ComPlan will be at tomorrow's trophy meeting.

The General SSS email, Sail@SFBAYSSS.ORG, is on the Contact Us page of SFBAYSSS.ORG.

The Inerim Sailing Instructions will also be available tomorrow night.

Great, thanks for info Ben. I won't be there, but will await the skippers meeting. Thanks for the general SSS email; never had a reason to use it. John

Brian Boschma plans to set up offshore-land VHF communications. The schedule he will try is 2130 Day 1, 0930 and 2130 Days2, 3 and 4.

He will participate as the vessel RED SKY.

TIGER BEETLE plans to participate as well.

Brian's email is Brian@BrianBoschma.com.

Whoops! I just learned that the Globalstar phone I rented doesn't send texts. It's on its way back to Florida, and Iridium should be here Monday.