Thread: Gribbs Info

Default Gribbs Info

This is from Jim's Email this morning about the Gribbs for the LongPac:

send grib:36N,38N,120W,127W|.5,.5|0,3..360|PRMSL,WIND
    send COAMPS:38N,36N,127W,122W|.2,.2|0,3..72|PRMSL,WIND

First – this assumes you have a Windows PS… and not a Mac…
    Get and install the grib viewer at-
    http://www.siriuscyber.net/wxfax/

You want to install the old viewer “Viewfax cer 4.3.4” (do not install the new “beta” Viewer ver 5.0.056 as most people find it won’t allow you to draw the red line on your proposed rhumb line). Note you can quickly scan through the weather over time using your keyboard’s “down arrow” (if you hold the down arrow down, you get a weather animation of sorts).

Then just submit the two attached emails.
    One email is for the “COAMPS” forecast – which is the best forecast for “near shore”, has finer resolution, (.2 degree) – but only goes out 72 hours at best (and frequently just 48 hours)
    The other email gets you the GFC forecast – which is better in deep ocean (out beyond 100 miles), has coarser resolution (.5 degree) – and goes out 15 days (don’t trust it past 4-5 days)
    You’ll get a response email back in under one minute – you can just double click the attached grib file to open in the Viewer.

Last…

You can learn more about how to tweak these grib request emails - such as to get a larger patch of ocean (something you’ll want if planning your route for the SH Transpac) at –

http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-...ree-Grib-Files

From the saildoc info at the link above:

To request a GRIB file send an eail to query@saildocs.com, Type anything you wish as subject - but do not leave it blank.

A simple message reads

send gfs:40N,60N,0W,20W/0.5,0.5/0,24,48,72/

That will result in an email with a GRIb file attached that gives Wnd and Pressure values for the area selected, on a 0.5 degree latitude/longitude grid at 0, 24, 48 and 72 hours ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    This is from Jim's Email this morning about the Gribbs for the LongPac:

send grib:36N,38N,120W,127W|.5,.5|0,3..360|PRMSL,WIND
    send COAMPS:38N,36N,127W,122W|.2,.2|0,3..72|PRMSL,WIND

First – this assumes you have a Windows PS… and not a Mac…
    Get and install the grib viewer at-
    http://www.siriuscyber.net/wxfax/

You want to install the old viewer “Viewfax cer 4.3.4” (do not install the new “beta” Viewer ver 5.0.056 as most people find it won’t allow you to draw the red line on your proposed rhumb line). Note you can quickly scan through the weather over time using your keyboard’s “down arrow” (if you hold the down arrow down, you get a weather animation of sorts).

Then just submit the two attached emails.
    One email is for the “COAMPS” forecast – which is the best forecast for “near shore”, has finer resolution, (.2 degree) – but only goes out 72 hours at best (and frequently just 48 hours)
    The other email gets you the GFC forecast – which is better in deep ocean (out beyond 100 miles), has coarser resolution (.5 degree) – and goes out 15 days (don’t trust it past 4-5 days)
    You’ll get a response email back in under one minute – you can just double click the attached grib file to open in the Viewer.

Last…

You can learn more about how to tweak these grib request emails - such as to get a larger patch of ocean (something you’ll want if planning your route for the SH Transpac) at –

http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-...ree-Grib-Files

From the saildoc info at the link above:

To request a GRIB file send an eail to query@saildocs.com, Type anything you wish as subject - but do not leave it blank.

A simple message reads

send gfs:40N,60N,0W,20W/0.5,0.5/0,24,48,72/

That will result in an email with a GRIb file attached that gives Wnd and Pressure values for the area selected, on a 0.5 degree latitude/longitude grid at 0, 24, 48 and 72 hours ahead.
    If you use an iPad, I can recommend the WeatherTrack application. You can view any grib (emails above) or create your own region and the app will automatically download the Gribs. Also it will get updated Gribs automatically if you refresh..

LongPac Gribb Screen Shot for Today at 18:00

Name:  LongPac_Grib-1.jpg
Views: 2815
Size:  106.0 KB

and later 0:00

Name:  LongPac_Grib-2.jpg
Views: 2719
Size:  105.8 KB

This is with your windows pc interfacing with a satellite phone? Do you mind explaining the squigglies?

Are you asking about the red "arrows"? If so, they indicate the general direction of the wind. The "feathers" on the arrows indicate the anticipated wind strength. Longer feathers are 10knts, shorter are 5.

The kind of circular ones from the top to the bottom of the grib reflect the barometric pressure. We are sitting in a high, says the TV weather guy/gal, and the bars (isobars) reflect that. Or so I recall. I think I have the isobars mixed up and am in class reflecting on the old weather charts I love!

I wish I could see the Farallones on the chart! I'll just have to plot the lat/longs!

Here are a couple more Gribbs for today in the morning and then 12 hours later. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the time stamp is GMT time and we have to subtract 8 hours.

Name:  LongPac_Gribb_10AM.jpg
Views: 2956
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  LongPac_Gribb_10PM.jpg
Views: 2688
Size:  75.2 KB

The current correction value for UTC is -7 hours. UTC doesn't modify for daylight savings time so when we are in PDT the correction is -7, for PST it's -8. (Not that a single hour when looking at GRIBS will make a difference.)

Thanks for posting the GRIBS, Tinker.