Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Pac Progress

FYI - we heard Condor call in on VHF from under the GG bridge around 12:45pm so they have likely finished around 1pm - still awaiting proper word here it looks like, but in case others are curious and not able to listen to VHF, figured I'd mention it to hold us until something official posts! Way to go Condor!

Condor was behind my guess of 10 AM but way ahead of Ben's 1900 guess.

Humdinger finished round 1700,

Should be posted soon!

Default Finishes

The finishing times are in the regular scoring program, Jibeset.

Racers are to call in on VHF 72 no later than crossing under the Golden Gate, as soon as Pt Bonita. Gives us just enough time to gather stuff and run up to the deck.

Expected next are Lightspeed and Xpression, both rate 81 and turned back only 2 hours apart.

Mr Wonderful thanks just after the dancing ends at Sam's but guessing will be better after the 2000 position reports.

Whenever you see Matt,I recommend a hearty thanks, because I love seeing posts quickly!

Lucie

This from Daniel Willey: Sat 06/22/13 08:11 AM

gala 3734 12304

speed 7 knots heading 065 true distance to the gate 32 miles; winds on the beam at 16 knots;
    the boat is still reefed down from last night and comfortable, seas are still rough

last night was hell, 37 knots of wind and big squared up seas.

the sea gods kicked my ass all last night.

Default VHF out there

Just to see the possibilities I tried VHF to the race boats. The little home made antenna, a VHF Marine radio, and 3000' of altitude let me chat with several racers out to 180 miles.

Good to see everyone getting home ahead of the LP system.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Great job Matt.

Those guys to the south need to put their boats up on the wind. Probably hard for Galaxsea and Rainbow but the others can do it. The GRIB's show they'll get headed farther out = don't make 400 miles into 480 miles - VMG baby!
    Hi Rob,

Didn't get your message in time
    I went too far south. Although speed going out was good. I paid for it on the way home and to your point I sailed an extra 90 miles.

Dirk - Xpression

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Great job Matt.

Those guys to the south need to put their boats up on the wind. don't make 400 miles into 480 miles - VMG baby!
    How many Long Pacs did it take for you to figure this out, Bob? How many extra hours did you sail in your first? The idea, as I get it, is that if you sail as close to the rhumb line as possible you sail fewer extra miles. On the tracks I saw very few tacks. So this came back to haunt them, is that it?

I've done the race once (2011) and we had a northerly so it was easier to stay up close to the rhumb line on the way out.

It's easy for me to be an armchair quarterback - plus when it's really rough it's wise to crack off a bit and not pound into it - but it appears that just off the continental shelf (about 40-50 miles out) the fleet got a big lift. Those who took the lift and headed west sailed a lot fewer miles than those who eased sheets and kept sailing WSW.

Tacking (north) rarely provides an advantage in a LongPac - it's more the discipline to sail the boat upwind on the way out vs. fading off to a reach, which is more comfortable and faster but means sailing more miles.

Carroll E and Maris are the remaining racers this evening. Still need a report from Carroll E for tonight. Archimedes just finished. Pogo finished a little earlier.

I'm a little beat up from the YRA Summer Sailstice race today. The full main and 100% head sail was a bit too much up to HR and back downwind 2x ugg. Hope you all had a great time sailing.

Matt

Don't forget, there isn't really a rhumb line in this race. If you really wanted the shortest distance to 126-40, you'd have to sail slightly north because the lines of longitude are closer together the farther north you get. But that wouldn't make sense with anything like normal wind because you'd be hard on the wind going out and too deep coming back. It's always a compromise between distance and speed. (Like I'm a expert, with 3 DNFs and a DNS in the race, plus an aborted attempt on my own.)