Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 late pac

Appears that this is a LatePac #1, as in TransPac, LongPac and ShadowPac....

Ruben's RUSHMOORE is now POGO, going doublehanded to Kaneohe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Great! I think this is crowd sourcing. Thurs Sept 19 is a full moon. Do we leave before or after that? According to my calculations, 100 miles offshore is approximately 124.587 longitude. Can anyone be more exact than that?
    Hi Jackie -

depends on where you are north-south relative to nearest shoreline. Given that the coast falls away to the east as you sail south, the further south you sail the less west you need to be to arrive at a point 100 miles off shore, the further north you go the further west you'll need to go.

For instance, sailing to a point (36 16N x 124 08W) due west of Point Sur puts you about 101 miles from the closest land, which is Ano Nuevo. So just keep track of where you are as you sail and keep pushing west until you make the magic 100 miles out there distance, and let the wind and sea conditions help you decide which way to go. If we hear that you turned left and kept on following the wind to the South Pacific, congratulations!

- rob/beetle

Okay okay, I won't stop off for a burger in Santa Cruz. Are you coming out, too, John? I'm going to rent a sat phone. And I bought a Navik windvane today. Does anyone know if Ronnie Simpson is living locally in his Cal 2-27? I'd like to go see how his Navik is attached to his boat.
    Jackie Pogo (Ruben's ex-Rushmoore) is in Alameda Marina Slip "H" (right by the easternmost hoist just behind the JS9000 Death Spear (real name) and you are welcome to look at the navic mounting Ruben made (it's not mounted but pretty easy to see how he did it). I should be there the week prior to HMB-will let you know if you want to take a look.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Question. Usually to do the real LongPac, one has to do the SH Farallones as a qualifier. I haven't done the SH Farallones, but 2 years ago I did the Spin Cup singlehanded. Would this be judged to be an acceptable substitute?

The "real" LongPac requires a qualifying cruise of at least 40 miles, not necessarily a SH Farallones but most work up the ladder that way. The SHF is 58 miles, or this year, 57!

The LatePac (informal term) requires nothing, zippo, nada - just go sailing - and keep a log to submit as your SHTP qualifier.

No date set yet ?

Sept 15 thru 24th looks like a promising set of dates for the moon.

This is a cool thing! More people should get together to do these kinds of ventures. Buddy boating on steroids. IMHO

Those dates sound good. What date do you think is most propitious for sailing out, Brian?

The full moon is Sept 19, so why not start on the 19th ? That is a Thur. Assuming one covers 130 miles per day that would be thur-fri-sat-sun ..... But then another approach would be to pick the week starting on the 16th as a window and then on Sept 12th pick a start date that aligns with a good weather window.

BB

Those dates sound good. What date do you think is most propitious for sailing out, Brian?