Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 late pac

Default 2013 late pac

I plan to do a qualifying sail sometime in September or October, maybe November. If anyone would like to go out at the same time that would be fun. The qualifier requires 100 miles offshore, then 300 additional miles offshore. Mike Meloy says he's going out, too, now that he's glued his radio back together and located the leak in his hatch. My direct email is Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com . Jackie

I hope we can follow the long pac format as far as communication goes: one or more spouses/friends/significant others posting progress and logs as we go.

Depending how things go the rest of this Summer, I might go out with the LatePac fleet to play with the SSB and solar panels, etc. and try some sail combo's.

It can be really nice out there in the Fall.

Excellent decision, Mr Race chair. I'll borrow someone else's spotlight. I'm thinking that my route may be to to sail 100 miles out then duck into Santa Cruz then Half Moon Bay then back. Is this a silly silly thought?

Well, it has to be 400 miles non-stop. Unless George changes the rule for 2014's race, here's the wording: "The qualifying cruise shall not be less than 400 miles and shall be made entirely under sail, non-stop and singlehanded. The qualifying cruise may be between two ports or may start and finish at the same port, provided that one turning point is at least 100 miles offshore."

Since you aren't doing it as a race you don't need the spotlight, nor a bunch of other stuff. I didn't take a liferaft when I did my qualifier in 2005 and I borrowed a PLB. But it's better to have most of the gear required for the SHTP so you can see how it all works.

BobJ's right (that seems to happen frequently) about the non-stop 400 mile requirement. However, as AJ pointed out at the 2011 longpac skipper's meeting, if you get 100 miles offshore and then sail around in circles (or triangles or octagons) until your return totals up to 400 nautical miles that counts. So, Jackie, you could do your proposed visit to Santa Cruz and return stopping at HMB but for it to count as a qualifier you would need to cover 400 miles before arriving in Santa Cruz.

As for the equipment you only need life jacket and a few flares to be CG legal. Personally I like the idea of at least a PLB with gps and some from of AIS. I have mixed feelings about the life raft since 100 miles offshore is getting to the range limit for the CG Helo range for the models stationed in SF. On the other hand when I lugged that monstrosity down to the boat in June I thought putting it on board might sink me at the dock. As for the spotlight, I have a very nice LED flashlight that is plenty bright enough to illuminate the sail if needed and night-blind the skipper in the process. But if you really want a spot light I may be able to hook you up with one, Jackie...

Okay okay, I won't stop off for a burger in Santa Cruz. Are you coming out, too, John? I'm going to rent a sat phone. And I bought a Navik windvane today. Does anyone know if Ronnie Simpson is living locally in his Cal 2-27? I'd like to go see how his Navik is attached to his boat.

Ronnie and the other Navik vet I know, Ruben, are on their way to Hawaii in the LA TransPac. Ronnie is a Criminal and Ruben is aboard Mr. Hands (oh, nooooo!)

You'll have to wait until the Aloha spirit wears off and they find their way home. Might be awhile . . .

count me in - September would be great - worried that there would be no wind in october...and days start to be much shorter which throws a monkey wrench in electricity consumption calc.
    I on Express 27 Elise

Great! I think this is crowd sourcing. Thurs Sept 19 is a full moon. Do we leave before or after that? According to my calculations, 100 miles offshore is approximately 124.587 longitude. Can anyone be more exact than that?
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-17-2013 at 04:32 PM.