Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: autopilot review

Brian, I can offer an excellent beta testing boat site on the Oregon coast Heavy displacement boat with big unbalanced rudder. Heavy quartering seas on demand.

so how often do you get out ? One issue I have had with some folks is they don't actually do all that much sailing so feedback can be sparse. Or they always have crew so the AP isn't used. Is your boat a fin keel or full keel ? I am entertaining a couple more trial testers so let me know.

I get out quite often, last week 3 times (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) Just completed a singlehanded trip from Brookings, OR to Columbia river (Ilwaco, WA) and return, going 100 miles offshore and covering 360 miles (on the return portion) I'm an ABYC certified electrician and have 25 years in industrial controls and automation. My boat has a full keel. We also have a small local race series that runs through the spring/summer/fall...unfortunately it is not well attended. We race every 2 weeks. I can film the pilot with a gopro....I have tuned PID loops for Boiler level control and things like that...might be useful.. also done quite a bit of motion control.
    What do you think Boss?

Gary,

I am sending you a PM.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    I get out quite often, last week 3 times (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) Just completed a singlehanded trip from Brookings, OR to Columbia river (Ilwaco, WA) and return, going 100 miles offshore and covering 360 miles (on the return portion) I'm an ABYC certified electrician and have 25 years in industrial controls and automation. My boat has a full keel. We also have a small local race series that runs through the spring/summer/fall...unfortunately it is not well attended. We race every 2 weeks. I can film the pilot with a gopro....I have tuned PID loops for Boiler level control and things like that...might be useful.. also done quite a bit of motion control.
    What do you think Boss?

Jim - a first key things to watch for no matter what AP system you end up choosing...

Get a good understanding of likely power usage - especially if you have a heavy helm that pilot will be "wrestling". You could end up running your engine/generator as little as 4 hours per day or as many as 9 hours per day depending on your AP power draw.

Budget for buying two of them. Over half of all SHTP racers lose their first autopilot. No matter how good an AP you have, you really do need a second one - and the second one needs to be a good one too.

Get an AP "one size too large" for the job. As you found out already, adverse conditions can really strain the AP. If your primary AP burns out in a day or two, its likely your secondary one will too. Those AP manufacturers tend to quote "one size too small" for what you really want/need.

I have an alpha spectra... its not cheap (though not the most expensive)... uses relatively little power... and can swing the wheel fast enough to steer under chute in 25k of wind. Though I have no idea what the "special" requirements might be for for an AP for a multihull... and I suspect for a performance multihull, AP requirements might be a bit different then for a monohull.

LUcie,
    It is I, Jim Bates. I have been away from the forum since my original inquiry about autopilots, due to unscheduled clinical depression over sinking my boat shortly after making the inquiry. I just wasnt up to thinking about it. Good news was that it was only in 15 feet of water, bad news of course being that it was still over my head. I just saw Brian and Cliffs very helpful responses, and wanted to thank them for their detailed and very complete and helpful posts.
    I have the boat docked back behind my house, and am trying to get motivated to get back on that horse. My wife was my crew that day, and was down below looking for lifejackets when it flipped. I hate the way that looks when I read it by the way, although, it may not rank in the top ten of stupid things I have done in my 69 years. It is the first boat I've sank at least. Well, the second if you count the NOYC Flying Scot regatta boat.
    The other good news is that besides a few tears in the sails, and a broken sleeve in the mast, and a destroyed electrical system, it is repairable. I am installing two automatic bilge pumps in each ama before it leaves the dock again.
    I guess the other good news is that I will not have the expense of supplies to feed the wife, as it will be a cold day in hell before she gets on a boat again.
    The bad news, in all seriousness, is she was traumatized enough that she will never enjoy sailing again. That breaks my heart.
    Jim

Default back from the deeps

Quote Originally Posted by Mewes View Post
    Good golly, is this you, Jim Bates? I've been looking for you since Ben and I chaired the TransPac in 2006!

Lucie Mewes
    Lucie,
    I replied to you on page 5. Sorry for the delay. You will understand.
    Jim Bates

OMG!

Now there's a worthy news story, Jim. I am so sorry for your wife, and luckily, I have recovered from my sailing terrors. Recovery took about ten years. My new husband and I are about to depart for a quick cruise to Mexico.

Please keep me up to date on your back to the water progress.

Lucie

Good golly, this is such a great thread for folks who understand it!

Gary, are you planning to enter the TransPac?

Lucie

Default one way to solve the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mewes View Post
    OMG!

Now there's a worthy news story, Jim. I am so sorry for your wife, and luckily, I have recovered from my sailing terrors. Recovery took about ten years. My new husband and I are about to depart for a quick cruise to Mexico.

Please keep me up to date on your back to the water progress.

Lucie
    Lucie,
    My concern is that my wife might want to solve her problem the same way as you, i.e.-get a new husband.
    I dont know where I would find again such a good cook, that looks that good in a bikini. Of course now that she is not getting on a boat with me again, the bikini part is kind of moot.
    Jim