Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: autopilot review

The drive unit was from the S1000 AP, used for power boat installations. I cannot find the model in the new catalog, but it is still sold as a part via WM.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    The drive unit was from the S1000 AP, used for power boat installations. I cannot find the model in the new catalog, but it is still sold as a part via WM.

Brian
    Did you use the S1000 pump with it? I would like to build a ram myself to eliminate the above deck electric tiller drive. I would appreciate as much info as you are willing to share.
    Thanks
    Gary

Just saw that you use a type 1 pump in a previous post. I'm curious if you used a PLC or something like that for the "brain"?

I used the S1000 pump driving a teleflex hydraulic cylinder. Pressure hoses are Teleflex purchased from a supplier off of ebay who customizes the length and has the tools to crimp the high pressure fittings (up to 1000lbs PSI). The hydraulic cylinder is made for outboard motor and stern drive application and is very seaworthy as it is made for direct exposure in the stern well of a power boat. As I said there is no reason to choose this pump. I choose it for cost and lack of clutch valve, which I did not want to power. The pump is a little nosier than a similar pump used in an NKE installation. The pump lasted me approx 9000 ocean miles until finally the motor brushes wore out. This happened several months back on the bay.

I have a small PVC tank for the hydro. fluid that I made from a section of PVC pipe. In the course of 5000 miles I added about 5 table spoons of fluid (or one west systems epoxy syringe full of Teleflex hydro. fluid).

Bleeding the system is easiest by using a pair of syringes to provide suction and compression. The vacuum helps get the air out.

The pump is either driven from my own AP electronics or an X5 controller. It ran night and day on the SHTP and the return trip. I did switch in the X5 tiller want occasionally while doing hydro. fluid refills or just wanting to hear a different note coming from my autopilot.

Does that help ?

Brian

Oh, one other point, I spoke with the engineers at Teleflex. All their cylinders are made from the same materials. The only real difference is seal pressure ratings. They have two lines, one sounds more like a rugged ocean version. Actually not the case, the difference is the pressure rating. As I recall one line handles up to about 1200 psi, the other somewhat less. I only mention this because the lower cost unit is a very rugged design.

Thanks for all of that Brian. I found this http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=209 chart that shows which pump goes with which cylinder.. it could be useful for finding a cylinder for an existing pump or vice versa. It does not look like I will be saving any money over an electric linear drive, but it should be way more reliable. I do actually have a line on an S1000 pump, and might mate that with the new EV-100 brain and sensor..plus a i70 control head.
    I just need to find a cylinder now, 10" stroke should be adequate. The low cost rugged Teleflex might be the way to go.

Brian, does the S1000 pump have a settable pressure relief valve? That thing will develop some serious force with a small cylinder.
    Last edited by WBChristie; 08-20-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Gary,

FYI: I found virtually new Teleflex cylinders on ebay from outboard shops that were taking them off boats who were changing to other engines. The near new cylinder I have has been flawless for years and many ocean miles. Seals don't leak. The cost was less than half of the new models.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Gary,

FYI: I found virtually new Teleflex cylinders on ebay from outboard shops that were taking them off boats who were changing to other engines. The near new cylinder I have has been flawless for years and many ocean miles. Seals don't leak. The cost was less than half of the new models.
    Great! Thanks

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I just got this offer in my email, you can get a new Raymarine unit for free!

http://thechelseamagazinecompany.com...XVUPDC/cr.aspx

It's part of some contest from Yachts & Yachting Magazine, not a Nigerian autopilot scam.

When they talk about 9-axis, I guess they mean x, y, z, three angles, and three angular accellerations?? Or what? Or are some of those 'marketing' axes?

EDIT: I guess the best axes would be x'', y'', z'', thetax, thetay, thetaz, and thetax', thetay', thetaz'.
    Last edited by pogen; 08-21-2013 at 11:07 AM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Hey you can get a 9-axis sensor on a single chip, it is made just a couple of miles from my house.

http://www.invensense.com/mems/gyro/mpu9150.html