Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: autopilot review

No, Jim, the new husband wasn't the solution to liking sailing.

Some racing, some ocean sailing helped. And some classes. The split was over teenagers.

Good to see you here.

Default A fix for broken Ray Marine tiller pusher.

It's not if, it's when, the plastic tip breaks off the RayMarine 1000 or 2000 tiller pusher. Go to a hardware/plumbing supply and find:
    brass adapter 3/8 x 3/8, flare x mip
    124833 , lincoln product.
    Fill the body of the brass adapter with epoxy or whatever. Drill a hole into, but not thru, the filled adapter. I used 7/64 to fit the tiller pin. Wrap the threads with teflon plumber tape. Thread it on the tiller pusher and enjoy using your auto pilot again. SDK

There is some collective opinion that for the Raymarine Autopilot, especially the previous X-5, to work well in apparent wind mode, it requires wind data from a Raymarine wind transducer via SeaTalk. More specifically, wind data from another manufacturer and input into the NMEA port on the X5 was inferior to Raymarine wired wind data via SeaTalk.

Has this changed now that there is a newer model of Raymarine Autopilot, Evolution EV-1, that occupies the similar market spot to the X-5? The Raymarine Evolution does not have an NMEA input, only SeaTalkNG (next generation) that is somehow similar to NMEA 2000. Raymarine now has acquired Tacktick and does not seem to market a Raymarine wind transducer speaking Seatalk. Further, Seatalk has been replaced by SeatalkNG (next generation). Raymarine offers a T122 wireless interface that will convert Tacktick wireless instruments to NMEA 0183. But the Raymarine Evolution Autopilot does not have an input for NMEA. There is a Raymaine product called iTC-5 Instrument Transducer Converter that would convert wired transducers to SeatalkNG, and that seems like it would work for wired transducers, but I cannot see how the Tacktick wireless system can work with the Raymarine Evolution Autopilot. Raymarine does have a NMEA 0181 to SeaTalk converter, so theoretically, the Tacktick wireless T122 could make NMEA 0183 that could be converted to Seatalk1 by the Raymarine converter, and Seatalk1 could be converted to SeatalkNG by the Seatalk 1 to SeatalkNG converter, but that seems silly to have 3 different things between the wireless instruments and the autopilot. Is there a way to more efficiently get the data to the autopilot?

Thanks,
    Todd

Todd, I'm using ST50 wind (seatalk 1) with an Evolution (EV-100 tiller pack) for steer to wind (apparent or true) The interface is Seatalk to seatalk ng (part number E22158)
    It all seems to work quite well so far. The kit puts the seatalk 1 info onto the seatalk ng backbone. Caution, when doing this the seatalk ng backbone backpowers the seatalk 1 instruments. If you don't disconnect the old seatalk instrument power source, it is possible to indirectly power up the autopilot through the backbone. Not good.
    Last edited by WBChristie; 11-27-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Todd, I'm using ST50 wind (seatalk 1) with an Evolution (EV-100 tiller pack) for steer to wind (apparent or true) The interface is Seatalk to seatalk ng (part number E22158)
    It all seems to work quite well so far. The kit puts the seatalk 1 info onto the seatalk ng backbone. Caution, when doing this the seatalk ng backbone backpowers the seatalk 1 instruments. If you don't disconnect the old seatalk instrument power source, it is possible to indirectly power up the autopilot through the backbone. Not good.
    Thank you. If I understand correctly, any Raymarine instruments up to ST60 are able to do Seatalk or Seatalk NG with the backbone, but I do not see a straighforward way for the Tacktick wind transducer to get to SeatalkNG. I will post this to the Raymarine Technical Forum, as well.

Todd

Name:  raymarine_setup.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  15.7 KB

Sorry Todd, I misunderstood what you were asking. Would this NMEA 0183 to Seatalkng bridging device work?
    http://www.imarineusa.com/actisensengw-1-stng.aspx
    Or if the tacktic outputs nmea 2000 this could work -
    http://www.blueheronmarine.com/Rayma...ter-Cable-5962
    Last edited by WBChristie; 11-27-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Sorry Todd, I misunderstood what you were asking. Would this NMEA 0183 to Seatalkng bridging device work?
    http://www.imarineusa.com/actisensengw-1-stng.aspx
    Or if the tacktic outputs nmea 2000 this could work -
    http://www.blueheronmarine.com/Rayma...ter-Cable-5962
    Thank you WBChrisitie-

Yes, the Actisense NMEA 0183 to SeatalkNG bridge device would combine two of the three steps. Previously, Tactick to NMEA 0183 with T122, followed by NMEA 0183 to Seatalk1 with Raymarine converter, followed by Seatalk1 to Seatalk NG with the Raymarine Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG converter. The last two steps are combined with the Actisense bridge.

It sounds like it would be too slow. I did post this to the Raymarine Technical Forum, so perhaps that will come up with something. http://raymarine.ning.com/forum/topi...ment-and-speed

Todd

RM X5 tiller pilot repair under West Marine extended warranty.

My experience to aid others:

I purchased the extended warranty via Protection Plus who then hands off claims to AMT warranty in Texas. They were a little slow in responses, corrections and actions.

My X5 went into "Sea Talk" failure on the return of Longpac 2013. I tried some diagnoses but did not find the problem. It then returned to normal after a few weeks and was operational for 6 months and a few races. Then it went back into Sea Talk failure the day before 3BF.

Star Marine said that it was traced to sea water intrusion of the remote controller box. They could not see how water could get to it and neither could I, but there was dried salt residue on the electronic board. It must have been those wispering Gremlins with squirt bottles.

JB

JB,

Just to clarify, by "remote controller box" do you mean the control head, the object with the lcd screen that is used to control the AP. Or do you mean the course computer (the brains of the whole deal)? Or do you mean something else?

To clarify my "remote controller box" is not the LCD control/display or brain box, but rather the $400 dollar wireless remote control accessory that can be plugged into the brain box. Ray Marine S100, http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=848. About $200 for a new wireless remote control box. Not covered under warranty.

I also asked Ian at Star Marine about the urban myth that the AP would shut down if the hand remote was immersed in water. He never heard of it or could NOT see how it could be done with the S100. For MOB situation. Part of my self recovery plan is to carry the remote on my vest.

Related to that is this snipet from the S100 wireless remote brochure.

"Warning signaled when the remote is out of range of the base station and automatically drops autopilot to standby" I will try this at the dock.

An additional thought about my X5 AP & West Marine inspired warranty. In my particular case, the cost of the warranty likely equalled the diagnostic labor of the AP system. If I had to purchase a new system, I would be inclined to NOT purchase the extended warranty. RM provided 2 years warranty from defects and then I coud get a third year by registering the product.

JB
    Last edited by Submarino; 02-27-2014 at 03:20 PM.