Thread: 2014 Tanspac forum?

Default 2014 Tanspac forum?

Is there a forum for the 2014 Transpac? If so, could someone point me at it?

Thanks!

The 2014 TransPac Forum has just opened. I posted a "documents" thread a moment ago.

For your information of what to expect, view the LongPac as well as the 2012 TransPac discussions.

What is your boat's name?

Lucie Mewes

Hi Lucie,

Thanks! The boat's name is Ad Astra ("To the stars"). I'm an engineer at NASA, so it seemed appropriate.

She's at Pillar Point Harbor. I see SSS is sailing there tomorrow. Maybe I'll have the opportunity to meet some members.

I'm very impressed by the wealth of high quality information posted on the site!

I have a question and an offer.

Question: Is there any protocol for just cruising along with the race as a non-competitor? My reason for asking is this: my boat is fully outfitted, and then some, for the race but... I have yet to find suitable lifeline stanchions that attach to the hull instead of the deck. I refuse to bore holes in my balsa-cored deck for stanchions. One leak, and my deck in compromised. I've been sailing my boat for three years in Pacific swells (often big, sharp ones), and I always use center-deck jacklines, a short tether, and a harness (with leg straps). I'm always clipped in even in the most benign conditions - I feel naked otherwise - like driving without a seat belt. I don't want to start a debate about the value of lifelines since they are clearly useful to some, but the absence of lifelines on my boat is a clear violation of the racing rules that I presume disqualifies my boat. Also, my handicap for my Pearson Ariel is so high that - given any prolonged periods of less than 10 kts of wind and - I may not complete the race in 21 days. Finishing the race in the time limit is a real challenge to those of us with smaller classic long-keeled 50 year-old boats. But I would love to come along, and maybe offer some weather info along the way during checkins.

Offer: I'm happy to help out anyone who is setting up solar or hydrogenerator power. I've been working with both for three years, and I've gotten some experience that goes beyond and sometimes contradicts the marketing hype for both technologies. If I'd known what I know now, I would have saved some substantial money outfitting my boat, and maybe I can help save someone else some time and money.

Also, I've been a communications engineer my whole career. I'm an Amateur Extra, a commercial radio operator, and a licensed GMDSS maintainer. If I can help anyone with AIS, PACTOR, or setting up an SSB, let me know. For example, for those with smaller vessels like mine, I've had very good results with a "Delta Loop" antenna that negates the need to modify the standing rigging in any way (e.g., adding mechanically vulnerable insulators to the backstay). I'm happy to share any info I have on comms.

Thanks!
    Last edited by pbryant; 08-27-2013 at 01:20 PM.