Thread: AIS reception reports for Half Moon Bay sail

Default AIS reception reports for Half Moon Bay sail

I noticed several of the vessels coming into Half Moon Bay on Saturday had Class B AIS transponders. You can see reception reports from my AIS receiving station here: http://aprs.fi. Type your MMSI number into the text box in the upper righthand corner of the screen labelled "Track callsign".

My receiver is located in Pillar Point Harbor.
    Last edited by pbryant; 08-19-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Nice station, looks like you track APRS as well. Can you display the history from Saturday ?

Brian

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Cool!

Here is my track from your site -- I guess when I was too far away you were not able to get my signal.

And here is my delivery track from vesselfinder. I don't know how to set the date range though on vesselfinder, maybe this can be done if one is a member or something.

I put embedded maps from vesselfinder and marinetraffic.com on my boat info site http://temerityracing.org , so interested people, if there are any, could see me out at sea.

Thanks Brian.

Yes, you can see historicals: aprs.fi stores any position reports received for several years. After searching on your MMSI, look below the text box "Track callsign" and you should see a tab labelled "2013". Clicking on that tab will expand your choices to year/month (i.e., "2013/08") and clicking the month will expand the list into individual days.

The dates are UTC, so any track after 5 PM PDT Saturday will show up as Sunday UTC.

I was out flopping around in the bay myself Saturday, enviously watching you all come in downwind with spinnakers, so here is an example of my track for Saturday: http://aprs.fi/#!mt=hybrid&z=11&ts=1...=i%2F367431840. I prefer the "satellite" map since it shows some underwater features. You can select that in the upper right corner of the screen.
    Last edited by pbryant; 08-19-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Cool!

Here is my track from your site -- I guess when I was too far away you were not able to get my signal.

Actually, your transmitter range is quite good. I usually lose Class B stations north of Pacifica when they are close in ashore. The hill at the HMB airport intervenes to block reception. Your range is about twice the average for your reported positions.

By the way, if you highlight any of the dots on your track and click it after your vessel name or MMSI appears, you can get the reported time/date, SOG, and COG (degrees true) for that position.
    Last edited by pbryant; 08-19-2013 at 01:53 PM.

This works quite well. What is the altitude of the antenna ?

Brian

12 feet above the waterline.

I hope your AIS/APRS station is operational, it will be interesting to watch the fleet progress tomorrow.