Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: muffler

Default muffler

10 miles out of Half Moon Bay my engine sounded different. I turned it off and crawled into the cockpit hatch to see what was wrong. "Thank goodness there is no wind" I said to my boat. My muffler had blown up. I thought diesels liked to be driven. I disconnected the clamps and put the unit into the cabin. When I was again in the quiet cockpit I said to my boat "Oh, there is no wind, it's a sail in the fog for us, honey". So we sailed at about 1.7 knots and never saw land, and the fog at the entrance to the gate obscured the towers. I could glimpse the bridge through the fog as I sailed under it. Now that was cool. Thank you, MX Mariner'
    Last edited by Philpott; 12-02-2013 at 02:24 PM.

1) It's always the engine.

2) You talk nicer to your boat than I do to mine. MUCH nicer.

Turns out it was the doohicky that provides water to the engine. No, not the water pump, because that's brand new, right.? It's a vetus something, plastic. Tomorrow I'll sail it over to the marine center and all will be revealed. I think there's an impeller in their somewhere, so says my brother.

"You're killin' me Smalls!"

That's the lift can - it cools the exhaust before sending it out through the exhaust hose. The impeller is on the water intake side - it pushes the water into the engine.

Until you put the lift can back on, make sure the transom exhaust hole stays above the waterline!

KKMI does classes on diesel engines. I think OCSC does too now and then. Just a thought . . .

Can't we have a transpac seminar on diesels? At a marina!! ?? Or just an SSS seminar? I'll bring all the food. And donuts.

Sounds like a good idea. What time did you get out of HMB. I took off at 0600 and there was no wind for at least two hours.

Too bad about the diesel exhaust system. There is a lot there that can go wrong. A class would be a good idea.

Default Engine Cooling Issues

Jackie, I think Bob's idea of a diesel is a good one. It's more complicated than a 2-hour panel discussion at the OYC. In addition to the cooling system, there's the fuel system with its filters and injectors (and how to bleed them). There's also the electrical system, which for a diesel might be simpler than for an gas engine - if you can hand crack the thing to get it started. It doesn't need electricity to run; that's why the "kill switch" closes off the fuel supply instead of disconnecting the battery.

A simplistic look at the raw water cooling system: It's an open loop, with one end being the intake sea cock somewhere in the bilge under the engine. From there a hose to the raw water pump, which forces the water through the engine block and head to cool it - there's usually a thermostat in there to control the flow and keep the temperature regulated.

After the water passes through the engine, it's introduced into the exhaust gases in the water lift (the plastic flower pot you mention). The combined exhaust gases and cooling water are expelled through the exhaust fitting on the transom.

Each one of these elements can fail. There are several severe results of that failure. 1) The engine will overheat, seize up, and be destroyed. 2) Without the cooling water being introduced, the 1000 degree exhaust gases will melt the exhaust hose, filling the boat with exhaust gases and water entering from the transom fitting. 3) Since it's an open look: ocean-to-engine-to-ocean. If some fitting/hose/water lift fails, you'll sink. The sea cock on the intake will close off that end. The exhaust end doesn't have a sea cock, so if something fails after the cooling water exits the engine, things can get serious very quickly. If a hose fails, the water pump will continue to do its job, filling the bilge. If the water lift, exhaust hose, or the clamps holding the exhaust hose to the transom fitting fail, there's the possibility of water entering the hull that way, especially with a following sea.

When I sailed a boat with an inboard, I kept a wooden plug sized to jam into the exhaust fitting on the transom. In a Coastal Cup race when my water lift failed (and it was stainless steel) I used that plug to keep water out from off the Sur Coast to Catalina Island. Needless to say we didn't motor any of that distance! Sometime I'll regale you with all the ins and outs of that story.

So, while you're getting the water lift replaced, be sure to check out the entire exhaust system, including all the clamps and the hose. In an old boat, all of those things probably need to be replaced. And, don't forget to service the intake seacock and check that hose and clamps.

Pat

Thanks, Pat. Today's task: remove the cover of the brand new water pump and check the impeller. Several great step by step instructions online with photos. I will also buy extras w gaskets to have onboard. Keeping a wooden plug for that transom opening is an excellent suggestion. I'd love to hear that story sometime.

Speaking of hand crank starting: There was a cool moment in the Southern ocean, aboard one of the Vendee Globe 60 footers. The skipper had run the batteries down and could not start the engine. He wrapped his main sheet, with the help of a few blocks, around the engines main belt pulley. Set the engine up for starting, then did a jibe in the roaring 40's wind and the force on the sheet spun the engine over and he was back to charging batteries with full electrics operational.

Yeh, and a good thing he didn't get caught up in the sheet as it flew out. Big splash!
    Jackie, yes, spares are very important, as is the knowledge to make the repair should it occur while sailing/motoring. Be careful not to nick the gasket and make sure the bolts holding the cover in place are secure. If it was the "Vetus something" however, it's on the out-flow side of the system. If you're pumping water, it shouldn't be the pump.
    Pat