Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: muffler

You should see the new chartplotter she's getting for Christmas - I may need that third battery!

You will regret that ! My little garmin, min size network plotter, is a power pig. ALl the new plotters are due to the wonderful, bright, color display that needs lots of backlighting energy. When on a longer event I keep the display at min brightness. I would have preferred to shut it off but it has to be on to trigger the radar every 5 min for a safety sweep.

I spoke to product mktg at Garmin and RM in hopes of discovering they were working on a lower power model, If anything they are going the other direction. Of course if your interest is just position data occasionally a handheld unit is the best solution.

But enough about engines.

It takes fewer electrons than LORAN

The net draw won't be much more than my old setup since I've eliminated some separate units. I had a stand-alone AIS (w/display), powered splitter, the old VHF with its bright, incandescent screen, etc.

The decision was actually between the new chartplotter or an iPad with iNavX, which would have also shown AIS targets, etc. I'm not sure if a DSC alarm would have plotted on an iPad screen. Anyway, I think it will be a nice upgrade.

Yeah, back to engines . . .

about that old no longer used and currently ignored stand-alone AIS ...

Let's pick up that thought over in the power management thread.

Good golly, I'm heading over to Power. Or maybe a new "chart plotting" thread?

I'm having a terrific time with my iNavx and iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    10 miles out of Half Moon Bay my engine sounded different. I turned it off and crawled into the cockpit hatch to see what was wrong. "Thank goodness there is no wind" I said to my boat. My muffler had blown up. I thought diesels liked to be driven. I disconnected the clamps and put the unit into the cabin. When I was again in the quiet cockpit I said to my boat "Oh, there is no wind, it's a sail in the fog for us, honey". So we sailed at about 1.7 knots and never saw land, and the fog at the entrance to the gate obscured the towers. I could glimpse the bridge through the fog as I sailed under it. Now that was cool. Thank you, MX Mariner'
    MUFFLER REDUX: More than 1800 people have read this thread, which tells me that more people than I have difficulties with exhaust systems on old boats. Thank you to Max Crittenden, Bob Johnston, Brian Boschma and Pat Broderick for advice. Here's what finally worked for my Universal M15. The raw water thru-hull directs water via a hose to the water filter. On Dura Mater this is a bronze Perko. I took it apart and made new gaskets with gasket paper purchased from an auto parts store. Then I sealed it with blue goopy permatex. I immersed it from top to bottom overnight and no water got in. I think it is sealed. A hose goes from the water filter to the new Oberdorfer water pump. It’s a beautiful water pump. Its impeller is intact. Yes, I bought a spare.

So far, so good. Then the engine overheated (again) and melted the top of my new Vetus muffler. Oh, hell. Someone then gave me a used muffler (a perfectly good used muffler). It was sitting around in the corner of a yard, much like the Cal 20 keel given me a few years ago by Dave Morris (thanks again, Dave). Why would the engine overheat? According to Max and Brian, cleaning out the engine’s exhaust elbow helped their engines live right. Like eating more roughage works for humans. Yuck. Brian sends me a photo of the engine part. He draws an arrow: unscrew these two bolts. Duh. Surely I could do such a simple thing myself. No way. Those bolts were on tight.

I took Dura Mater across the marina to the Berkeley marine center. Kurt the mechanic snorts: “of course I can remove two bolts”. Well, he removed the two bolts, but then the elbow broke off, having rusted all the way through. I suppose it had been there for 33 years, but still. He broke it, right? Kurt felt no remorse. “Better here than out there,” is his line. I concede the point. Kurt tried to remove the elbow from the manifold. No way that was going to happen. So he removed first the alternator. Then the manifold. Now I know what an alternator looks like. And a manifold. And an exhaust elbow. I suppose Mike Jefferson thinks this is a good thing.

After separating the manifold from the elbow, Kurt rebuilt the exhaust elbow, wrapped it with fiberglass tape and replaced it. To the manifold. And then he replaced the alternator. And the muffler. And all the hoses. Finally he scolded me for the inadequate tie downs holding all the electrical wiring up above my engine. Kurt scolds me every time he works on my engine. I hang my head but I feel no remorse.

And now! When I start my engine the water gushes! Yes, gushes! No more squirts, but gushes. Like on Solar Wind. I mean Iniscaw. Whatever an Iniscaw is.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-22-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Well that sounds like a great improvement and you have also enhanced the economy ! Congrats.

I prefer to think of it as the redistribution of wealth. Having done my part, I needn't throw my body in front of those Google buses.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-22-2014 at 07:39 PM.