Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windjammers 2013

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

One third of the entries are shorthanders, how times change!

This is all good. Part of including those of us with short hands (or one hand) is having to remember things like autopilots.

Also we tend to read the race documents, since there's no one to do it at the last minute on the way to the start line!

I've been wanting to add another ocean race to the SSS schedule. Maybe this will be it - the logical next step beyond HMB, but still along the coast.

Excellent idea, Mr Race Chair. And what shall we call it? The Surf City race? I would definitely love to do that one. And it would call for a tie dye shirt, neh?

I am a new member of the SSS. I think this is a good race to add to the SSS race list. It was a fun race with more interesting navigation issues than shorter buoy races. Returning to SF in different conditions than we had on Sunday will be unpleasant, but the race is interesting and short enough that you can return to SF the next day or stop in HMB for a meal and some sleep.
    Chad
    J32

Due to work I wasn't able to get my boat ready, but I was invited to jump aboard Racer X (J/105). We've raced together before so this was an easy decision.

We raced in a crewed division against a Santa Cruz-based J/105 and a couple of Moores. We saw 30+ TWS several times and got the 105 up on the step. Only broached once, and finished off the wharf at 19:23. We beat the other 105 by a bunch but one of the Moores corrected out on us, so we were second.

Great seafood at Johnnie's about an hour after finishing (the Mai Tai wasn't bad either) - way better than drifting off of Santa Cruz until after midnight. Support from the host clubs could have been better but overall it was a stellar weekend. (Thanks, Rich and Mary!)

With the resources of SCYC focused on an important local event (Big Brothers-Big Sisters I believe) on the Labor Day weekend, we found the post-race experience to be lacking. If Windjammers could switch weekends with the Spinnaker Cup (Memorial Day weekend) with appropriate resources being available, then this might work well on the SSS calendar.

Why doesn't SSS just add its own offshore race to Santa Cruz? The Surf City Race.