Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Tracking of AIS signals, can this be a tracker solution ?

Quote Originally Posted by pbryant View Post
    Thanks Mark. That sounds much more elegant than using a bent nail in an electric drill to remove the coring. But I still feel that I'd experience less emotional trauma from drilling holes in my own cranium than in my pristine 51 year-old deck.
    Ok, the router bit is called a Rabbeting bit and maybe you just need to hire or trade with some one to do the work and get it over with...
    best wishes,
    mark

Following along Mark's idea: a FRP tube with the inner diameter = to the diameter of the Stanchion can be fitted into the routed holes and a nice flange created at the deck surface. One epoxies it all into position and the stanchions than can be sealed in the resulting tubes. This is similar to the SC boats.

Brian

This may not be allowed, but I've been wondering about an engineered solution that involves bonding the stanchion base to the deck without a penetration? We know that modern adhesives are amazingly strong.

Default re: "I dont trust smartphones"

For those who want tracking, the Delorme products cost about $300, use the same Iridium satellite constellation as the Yellowbrick, and have the ability to send and receive text messages. You can also pair them with a smartphone via Bluetooth, or use the InReach SE model standalone. http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc.../inreachse.php. They claim the product is immersible, though I haven't tested that claim.

I have the InReach SE on my boat (I don't trust smartphones around sea water) and both the tracking and messaging have so far worked flawlessly. I bought it at REI. I have it attached to an interior bulkhead where it locks up GPS and transmits just fine through the cabin roof fiberglass.

The downside is: they only run continuously for about 4 days without a recharge. I use a USB charger to keep mine continually recharged. I built the 5 volt regulator for the charger using a switching-mode regulator because it saves about 3 watts over using an ordinary analog off-the-shelf 12 volt automotive USB charger. If you don't care about saving 3 watts, you can use any USB charger. Yes, if my vessels loses all electrical the beacon will stop after 4 days (after the week it would take for my 500 A/H of batteries to go dead). By then, something really bad has happened since I have ample PV power generation and in such extremes I'll have probably set off the EPIRB anyway.

There are monthly usage charges.

Hi folks,
    Not to hi-jack the thread, but I have an equipment endorsement, in view of this ongoing discussion, that some might find helpful re smartphones total lack of ability to withstand immersion. I sank my 36 foot tri three weeks ago, tin which I have been toying with the idea of entering the 2014 shtp if time/money/ permitted. I tend to read the forum as it provides info on the race and the hardware from people that have experience behind their opinions. In any case, I started a race on Saturday 8/17 at 2 p.m. I used the iphone stopwatch to start, and then threw it down on the nav table, along with my wallet, and forgot to stop the stopwatch function. The boat was salvaged from 15 feet of salt water in Lake Pontchartrain after a little more then three full days of being in the boat at the bottom of the lake. I asked the salvage guy to look for the boat, and my wallet since my apple care insurance requires that the corpus delicti be produced before they will replace the phone, and I didnt really want to spend $600 replacing it. At 9 pm. on on Tuesday night the salvor called me up and called me to come get the phone and the wallet. When I arrived, he commented that I probably needed to charge the battery. The stopwatch was showing 81 hours and counting, with a very low battery symbol. The phone was in the waterproof Otter case that I had purchased that was submersible when I bought the iphone 5 from the AT&T store, at a cost of $100. Best money I could have spent.
    And all the money and cards were in the wallet too.
    Jim Bate

Quote Originally Posted by knotbum View Post
    Ok, the router bit is called a Rabbeting bit and maybe you just need to hire or trade with some one to do the work and get it over with...
    best wishes,
    mark
    There is a good description (with photos) of removing some core, filling, and redrilling to seal core from deck penetrations here.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/s...he_deck&page=1

Todd

I have a two iPhone stories involving a Iphn3 and an Iphn4. The former died when in my foulie's waterproof pocket when I took a big roll on a wave and flooded the cockpit, The later died in my waterproof gear bag when swimming across Hanalei bay as the bag apparently had developed a pin hole leak. Apparently the Iphn5 is much better !!! I have moved onto the darkened world of Androids.

The short answer is "no, tracking vessels with Class B AIS via satellite is not yet reliable or feasible"..
    Two commercial firms, and the NSA would disagree with this statement. VesselTraffic Inc has indicated that they have proven the ability to track Class A and B reliably. I am not aware of their satellite technology but it would nt surprise me that they can use spatial antenna techniques to discriminate patches of ocean to isolate signals. In addition the AIS protocol includes a signal collision avoidance scheme which would help to a degree for nearby vessels. In any case the guys at vessel traffic are working up a proposal and quote for fleet and individual use of their system over a 2 month window. I at least have a personal interest in using the technology and hope that others may also. If the SSS can find a means of mixing tracker data, as they did in the LongPac, then their may be a couple tracker solutions that can be employed by all.

My wife laundered my Samsung 4g Lte after longpac. It was in the secret zipper pocket of the 2011 long PAC red jacket (nice participant gift, hint hint). To my surprise it was still on. Only lost the camera feature. Side load washers can get musty but they don't drown things. But, never wash a cushion pfd in one.

Update on Satellite tracking of AIS:
    I have communicated with two AIS tracking companies. One of the two has responded with interest in providing a short term service of interested parties. They would like to conduct a test with a sampling of vessels that may be involved. In about 3 weeks, around the time of the Vallejo 1/2, they have asked if I could supply a group of MMSI numbers that they could input to their system and track over several days. The vessels don't need to be moving. I am asking for a few volunteers to turn on their AIS Class B transponders over a few days during the test. I would need the MMSI numbers for entry into the service providers system. Please let me know if any of you would have an interest in trying this out.
    Regards, Brian

FYI "brianb has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

I'll participate. Have to update my MMSI on my transponder first as changed boats/mmsi. John