Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steering Seminar Videos are Up

You can't set the vane up to support an E Rudder ? Several models do. If you could do that you could then use a tiller pilot to drive the E Rudder if you ever lost your rudder.

I sailed my J24 from mile rock to Richmond with an "oar" (spin pole + floor boards bolted on}. It was no picnic. If you go that route consider having lines attached out near the end of the oar and steer with the lines. I think commodore Tompkins has a good description of an oar set up that is known to work well.

Brian

any pics of your boats stern ?

You are correct and oar would work. And you are correct again about the J24 rudder, they are heavy. I played with it over the weekend and used my twings to lower it slowly down from the plate on my split back stay. I also played with lines going to the stern pulpit to steady it and they seemed to work. Only 3 ft. seas and 10 knot winds however. I want a system that I can continue to use my vane and autopilot with, in fact I would hope that I could continue to sail without a significant loss of performance (I am interested to see if the boat performs better with the transom rudder!).
    thank you for your input. I am new to this and there is a great deal I have not even begun to consider.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    any pics of your boats stern ?
    I will be down on the boat tomorrow and will take a picture and post it. Attached is a picture from last summer. Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  90.4 KB

A backup steering method is required of course, but of greater concern is the construction and condition of the primary rudder and post (better to not need the backup).

The Capri 25's rudder post is fairly thin-walled stainless tubing, the same as the Kirby 23 which lost its rudder in the 2006 race. The Kirby's rudder simply snapped off at the hull, presumably due to hidden crevice corrosion in the post. With this manner of construction and its age (guessing mid-80's) I would certainly drop the rudder and inspect the rudder post carefully. Even then you can't see what the post inside the rudder looks like.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/te.../Rudderfix.pdf

s/ Mr. Joy and Sunshine
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-25-2013 at 12:14 AM.

I have a full keel alberg 30 with a Cape Horn Windvane on the transom- my primary self steering gear. I had Yves at Cap Horn fabricate pintles/brackets on the outboard rear edge of the self steering vertical post, so I could hang an emergency rudder. So far never tried it out! Actually dont have the spare rudder yet, alas.

My question is assuming I make up a cassatte and rudder assembly, once mounted, does the emergency rudder aft of the self steering blade render the self steering unit unusable? Seems like it would. If so, id an emergency rudder were mounted off the transom, on the side next to the self steering blade, would the self steering then still be functionable?

We need a couple of people to talk about emergency rudders at the January 8 Seminar @ the Oakland Yacht Club. I know there are hundreds of you lurking out there. Now is the time for you to step up and tell us what you have done along with photos of your efforts (taken with your digital camera, no need for a professional photographer). If you have actually used the emergency rudder, mo betta. Tell us how hard it was to use and under what conditions. If it didn't work, why didn't it work? If it worked, why do you think that happened? Email me privately if you prefer. If you are in Maine and can't come out, send photos and your experience. Please. I'm in charge until Lucie comes back and I've never used an emergency rudder. Jacqueline.philpott@gmail.com (that's jacqueline dot philpott)
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-25-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Here is a handout from Rob MacFarlane from the 2002 Transpac Seminar:

http://sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-web..._seminar_1.pdf

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Greg Nelson built my e-rudder and that of several other PacCup/SHTP competitors.

Here is his company: http://hi-modulus.com/

You can see my rudder here: http://neversealand.downtothesea.org...3/27/e-rudder/

I'm sure he would be happy to come and say a few words, or at least send a bunch of pics of his installations.

-- D.

Rob spoke from experience with his rudder.

A bigger deal with the Kirby 23 was that after the primary rudder snapped, so did the e-rudder.

Lucie